Christian McCaffrey: Is the upside even there to turn it around

Darkness

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Oh yeah? Is that why Alfred Morris at just 27 years old averaged 3.5 ypc last year and Elliott averaged 5.1 ypc. Thanks for clearing that up for me..

Another flawed analogy regarding picking in the top 10. You seem to pigeonhole the reasons to either 3 things QB play, OL play, or no pass rush. That is an inaccurate oversimplified statement. If you are picking in the top 10 it is likely a combo of several things not just 1 of three things you mentioned. Sure QB is the most influential position on the field, but outside of that there is a lot up for debate. Typically you see well rounded RB's picked top 10 as they can influence a game in a variety of ways such as Elliott who was a great runner, receiver, and pass blocker.   

As far as it being a passing league..Sure it is, but it also seems that the power run game is seeing a little bit of a resurgence as of late, so again, if there's an elite RB on the board and your team is in need of a RB...Then it certainly seems like a solid pick. As I just mentioned most top RB's are pretty versatile and influence in the pass game as well. 

Oddly enough I see you mention Ramsey as an example for last year (which I don't agree with, I think the Cowboys are very content with their pick), but I'm sure you won't see very many Jaguars fans complaining about taking Fournette this year..

You do realize last year Morris really only got majority of his hand offs when the games were completely out of reach right? Meaning teams knew they were running the football because they were up by so much. i.e the Browns game last year.....

I didn't pigeonhole anything. That's just you making an assumption based on what I presented. I list three things why teams pick top 10 and you get this notion that these are tied separately. Nah, when the hell did I ever insinuate that. Don't answer that because I never did, but for you, I see I have to spell things out c-l-e-a-r-l-y.

Power run game is seeing a little of a resurgence as of late? And Christian McCaffery at 5'11 205 pounds is the right man for that? Okay..........

Run heavy teams aren't going anywhere but home when its time to play in the post-season. The Jaguars are happy with LF but due to the inept QB play, they'll be watching the playoffs just like the rest of us come late Jan.

23 minutes ago, indifference said:

You do realize last year Morris really only got majority of his hand offs when the games were completely out of reach right? Meaning teams knew they were running the football because they were up by so much. i.e the Browns game last year.....

But I thought Prescott wasn't that good? So wouldn't teams be expecting the run pretty much all game while Elliott was in the game? Don't answer that looks like I have to spell things out C-L-E-A-R-L-Y.. LOL

I didn't pigeonhole anything. That's just you making an assumption based on what I presented. I list three things why teams pick top 10 and you get this notion that these are tied separately. Nah, when the hell did I ever insinuate that. Don't answer that because I never did, but for you, I see I have to spell things out c-l-e-a-r-l-y.

And yet it is still and oversimplified remark. Cool you listed 3 things. It can go far beyond that, Schemes, Coaching, etc. but hey lets keep it simple for ya..

Power run game is seeing a little of a resurgence as of late? And Christian McCaffery at 5'11 205 pounds is the right man for that? Okay..........

Yet as we both just admitted..It is still a passing league, I just said there is starting to see more power run game than before.. McCaffrey has the ability to be one of the best receiving backs in the history of the NFL, and likely could be a pretty good WR in the NFL as he essentially already splits between RB/WR. So yes I believe he is the right guy, but does need to see some improved blocking as even the 220lb RB he shares the backfield with is struggling, but McCaffrey due to his versatility is still leading the Panthers in yards between RB's/WR's. I've seen McCaffrey carry the ball over 20/30 times in a game at Stanford several times. I've seen other RB's around his size carry the load as well. I'm not concerned.  

Run heavy teams aren't going anywhere but home when its time to play in the post-season. The Jaguars are happy with LF but due to the inept QB play, they'll be watching the playoffs just like the rest of us come late Jan.

That's like your opinion man...If I'm not mistaken they are tied for 1st in their division, so your opinion kind of sucks right now..

19 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

But I thought Prescott wasn't that good? So wouldn't teams be expecting the run pretty much all game while Elliott was in the game? Don't answer that looks like I have to spell things out C-L-E-A-R-L-Y.. LOL

When did I say Prescott wasn't "that good"? Please show me. You really been reaching this entire time with your assumptions and its flat out exhausting at this point. And its a huge difference between running the football when the scores are down to 1 and 2 possession games instead of 3 or 4. Here's a hint: Teams have to play you honest when the scores are decided by 1-2 possessions.

(threw in a hint for you because I know you get lost easily :/

19 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

And yet it is still and oversimplified remark. Cool you listed 3 things. It can go far beyond that, Schemes, Coaching, etc. but hey lets keep it simple for ya..

Yet as we both just admitted..It is still a passing league, I just said there is starting to see more power run game than before.. McCaffrey has the ability to be one of the best receiving backs in the history of the NFL, and likely could be a pretty good WR in the NFL as he essentially already splits between RB/WR. So yes I believe he is the right guy, but does need to see some improved blocking as even the 220lb RB he shares the backfield with is struggling, but McCaffrey due to his versatility is still leading the Panthers in yards between RB's/WR's. I've seen McCaffrey carry the ball over 20/30 times in a game at Stanford several times. I've seen other RB's around his size carry the load as well. I'm not concerned.  

That's like your opinion man...If I'm not mistaken they are tied for 1st in their division, so your opinion kind of sucks right now..

This was about player personnel issue for teams not scheme/coaching. "It can go far beyond that", oh thanks for that common knowledge, I mean its not like the coaching turnover in the NFL doesn't speak for itself. The 3 things I listed remains true and yeah more variables play into it but I was just touching the issue on a personnel standpoint.

Being successful in between the tackle runner in college doesn't mean he can do it at the NFL level. I've seen it done too by people his size, but they never carried the load by themselves for long stretches a period of time. As you would want out of a top 10 RB pick.........

McCaffery is not the reason why they are tied for first place in the division. But, continue to spout bs.

5 minutes ago, indifference said:

This was about player personnel issue for teams not scheme/coaching. "It can go far beyond that", oh thanks for that common knowledge, I mean its not like the coaching turnover in the NFL doesn't speak for itself. The 3 things I listed remains true and yeah more variables play into it but I was just touching the issue on a personnel standpoint.

Being successful in between the tackle runner in college doesn't mean he can do it at the NFL level. I've seen it done too by people his size, but they never carried the load by themselves for long stretches a period of time. As you would want out of a top 10 RB pick.........

McCaffery is not the reason why they are tied for first place in the division. But, continue to spout bs.

Lol your first argument is all over the place in this thread...Try again.

Define long stretch...Cough Lesean McCoy..

As for the final paragraph reading comprehension fail. Reread what I responded to and try again..

21 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Lol your first argument is all over the place in this thread...Try again.

Define long stretch...Cough Lesean McCoy..

As for the final paragraph reading comprehension fail. Reread what I responded to and try again..

Now its my first argument is all over the place. I was waiting for you to back pedal. xDxD

McCoy has been pretty banged up his entire career. Like 2 years in a row he'll play a full 16 then the following year miss at least between 2-4 games. Certainly impressive though considering his size.

Your final paragraph was just a fail in itself. Didn't know CMC was responsible for CAR being tied for first place. Thanks for dropping bombs all day, I've been entertained. 

1 minute ago, indifference said:

Now its my first argument is all over the place. I was waiting for you to back pedal. xDxD

McCoy has been pretty banged up his entire career. Like 2 years in a row he'll play a full 16 then the following year miss at least between 2-4 games. Certainly impressive though considering his size.

Your final paragraph was just a fail in itself. Didn't know CMC was responsible for CAR being tied for first place. Thanks for dropping bombs all day, I've been entertained. 

20 minutes ago, indifference said:

Wrong..

McCoy is going to surpass 10,000 yards rushing this season. Must not be that banged up..

Again reading comprehension. I responded to your Jaguars comment on Fournette. The Jaguars are tied for first. Not the Panthers. Go reread what I responded to and try to keep up..

20 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Wrong..

McCoy is going to surpass 10,000 yards rushing this season. Must not be that banged up..

Again reading comprehension. I responded to your Jaguars comment on Fournette. The Jaguars are tied for first. Not the Panthers. Go reread what I responded to and try to keep up..

I'll give you McCoy. He's done with what most smaller backs can't do which is play for an extended period of time.

In regards to the Jaguars comment, if you think Blake Bortles led team is going to give them a deep post-season run. Please remove yourself.

3 minutes ago, indifference said:

I'll give you McCoy. He's done with what most smaller backs can't do which is play for an extended period of time.

In regards to the Jaguars comment, if you think Blake Bortles led team is going to give them a deep post-season run. Please remove yourself.

When did I say they would go deep in the playoffs. You keep moving the goalposts with each reply. You stated the Jaguars would be watching the playoffs at home this season. I stated they are in 1st place in their division. They have both a good defense and also a good running attack with their top 10 pick Fournette this season.

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

When did I say they would go deep in the playoffs. You keep moving the goalposts with each reply. You stated the Jaguars would be watching the playoffs at home this season. I stated they are in 1st place in their division. They have both a good defense and also a good running attack with their top 10 pick Fournette this season.

Panthers don't have a good running attack. But yeah both teams have top 10 defenses this year and that is the main reason why they are successful. Neither team offenses have been putting up big #'s. CAR is 23rd in PPG in the entire NFL btw. Jags are #8 but that's more of an enigma if you account the lopsided win they had in London.

25 minutes ago, indifference said:

Panthers don't have a good running attack. But yeah both teams have top 10 defenses this year and that is the main reason why they are successful. Neither team offenses have been putting up big #'s. CAR is 23rd in PPG in the entire NFL btw. Jags are #8 but that's more of an enigma if you account the lopsided win they had in London.

Yeah the Panthers running attack has struggled along with their passing attack, which can be credited to poor OL play, inconsistent QB play, and poor playcalling. On the bright side for the Panthers, at least McCaffrey is leading the team in receiving yards, so I suppose their is some hope as his versatility is paying off. Will be interesting to see what happens once he starts getting some holes to run through. Yeah the Jaguars passing attack has stunk, but at least their top 10 pick Fournette has looked really good for them this year and has been a key part of their offense getting points this season.

Archived