Christian McCaffrey: Is the upside even there to turn it around

Darkness

14 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Right! This has been something I've been wondering since his college days, and have brought up several times on this board. We've seen so many great RB's that have been right around the same size, and that doesn't even factor in that McCaffrey is still just 21 years old. He very well may end up at 210-215lbs in the next couple seasons as he is still very young. 

Honestly I think we all know why its said about him and not other running backs. He is virtually the same size as:

Lesean Mccoy

Alex Collins

Devonta Freeman

Frank Gore

Dalvin Cook

Aaron Jones

Tevin Coleman

Etc

Gore has been a workhorse for a decade

Dalvin Cook was hyped as an every down back in the same draft class as McCaffrey

McCoy has been the whole offense for his teams

Packers are really running Aaron Jones

Freeman and Coleman would be every down guys if they weren't teammates

McCaffrey has been a work horse his whole life and never showed signs that his body couldn't handle it. It suddenly cant handle it now?

4 minutes ago, Nbanflguy said:

Honestly I think we all know why its said about him and not other running backs. He is virtually the same size as:

Lesean Mccoy

Alex Collins

Devonta Freeman

Frank Gore

Dalvin Cook

Aaron Jones

Tevin Coleman

Etc

Gore has been a workhorse for a decade

Dalvin Cook was hyped as an every down back in the same draft class as McCaffrey

McCoy has been the whole offense for his teams

Packers are really running Aaron Jones

Freeman and Coleman would be every down guys if they weren't teammates

McCaffrey has been a work horse his whole life and never showed signs that his body couldn't handle it. It suddenly cant handle it now?

Just to add a few more players that are around the same Height/Weight (Some are a bit bigger by about 5lbs, some are a bit smaller, but given McCaffrey's age I think he easily could add 5lbs as he is still most likely growing at 21 years old). 

Jamaal Charles

Clinton Portis

Brian Westbrook

Priest Holmes

Walter Payton

Curtis Martin

Barry Sanders

Tony Dorsett

Marshall Faulk

Thurman Thomas

Tiki Barber

Chris Johnson

Terrell Davis

Charlie Garner

Ray Rice

10 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

McCaffrey is more of a Darren Sproles type back - situational. Does anyone remember how he struggled on the bench press? Hey has limited upper body strength and he knows it. he's best used in the slot and on screens. 

For sure I've always thought the bench press is the best barometer of determining a RB's success. Not those silly things like lower body explosiveness (Vert, 3 cone, 40 time), but the bench press. That drill is SO useful in determining how a player will be on the field. That's why Samaje Perine is dominating this season with his beastly 30 reps.

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

For sure I've always thought the bench press is the best barometer of determining a RB's success. Not those silly things like lower body explosiveness (Vert, 3 cone, 40 time), but the bench press. That drill is SO useful in determining how a player will be on the field. That's why Samaje Perine is dominating this season with his beastly 30 reps.

Bench press determines upper body strength and for a running back, they need that because they are required to go through/past some big men. 

1 hour ago, eagles18 said:

McCaffrey is more of a Darren Sproles type back - situational. Does anyone remember how he struggled on the bench press? Hey has limited upper body strength and he knows it. he's best used in the slot and on screens. 

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

1 hour ago, eagles18 said:

Bench press determines upper body strength and for a running back, they need that because they are required to go through/past some big men. 

Maybe my last example didn't drive home the point enough as to how useless bench press is for determining success for RB's and even as an overall measure of how powerful a RB.

If this example doesn't show how useless bench press is then I don't know what to tell you. Todd Gurley put up 17 reps on the bench press. Reggie Bush put up 24 reps on the bench press..I'll let you do the math on how that transferred to on field strength/power. I'd also add your previous example of Darren Sproles doesn't do you any favors he put up 23 reps on the bench.

I saw someone mention Pierre Thomas earlier. Pierre was a far better runner than McCaffrey. Much harder to take down. 

He can surely be a very good player in the league, but he is going to have to become a better runner between the tackles until he can take the next step. That and he has to be utilized to show off his strengths (aka better playcalling). 

Right now he is just a scat back that runs nice routes.

13 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

I saw someone mention Pierre Thomas earlier. Pierre was a far better runner than McCaffrey. Much harder to take down. 

He can surely be a very good player in the league, but he is going to have to become a better runner between the tackles until he can take the next step. That and he has to be utilized to show off his strengths (aka better playcalling). 

Right now he is just a scat back that runs nice routes.

I think they were referring to his skillset, which I don't really understand because I never thought McCaffery was like Pierre Thomas.  Thomas was a very underrated back that ran hard and broke many tackles.  I haven't seen McCaffery do any of that.  If they want to compare him with a Saints back for some reason, Reggie Bush is the better comparison.  Although I think MCaffery will wind up being a better receiver than Reggie if he had an accurate QB throwing him the ball.

In today's game of hybrid players, that's exactly what McCaffrey is: a non-prototypical offensive weapon. And especially in Carolina's offense, he is an ideal mismatch to place up against conflict defenders in RO's, RPO's , and the sort. Outside of just carrying and receiving the ball, he is also an excellent chess piece in the pre-snap phase for his ability to line up in various positions, cause confusion thru motion, and open up the offense for other players to succeed (much like Fozzy Whitakers backside screen TD in wk4 vs NE where McCaffrey drew the defense's attention with an orbit motion). Also overlooked is his pass blocking recognition and ability which is rare for a rookie. Not to mention his aptness on special teams in the return game. 

Long story short, his comparison as just a RB is short-sided and there is a very high ceiling for his attributes and abilities as an NFL offensive playermaker

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Maybe my last example didn't drive home the point enough as to how useless bench press is for determining success for RB's and even as an overall measure of how powerful a RB.

If this example doesn't show how useless bench press is then I don't know what to tell you. Todd Gurley put up 17 reps on the bench press. Reggie Bush put up 24 reps on the bench press..I'll let you do the math on how that transferred to on field strength/power. I'd also add your previous example of Darren Sproles doesn't do you any favors he put up 23 reps on the bench.

My point is that Christian is not a very strong guy, whilst the other players you mentioned are. You can be shifty, quick, and explosive, but you have to be strong in all areas especially at the runningback position. He's better suited as receiver where great strength isnt as needed. 

8 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

My point is that Christian is not a very strong guy, whilst the other players you mentioned are. You can be shifty, quick, and explosive, but you have to be strong in all areas especially at the runningback position. He's better suited as receiver where great strength isnt as needed. 

He's not strong because he doesn't bench a lot of reps? He should switch positions because he doesn't bench a lot? Lol

31 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

He's not strong because he doesn't bench a lot of reps? He should switch positions because he doesn't bench a lot? Lol

I take it that you don’t lift. Yes, he’s not strong because he doesn’t bench a decent weight for an nfl player. He’s weak af and is only effective when the OC puts him in space. 

12 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

I take it that you don’t lift. Yes, he’s not strong because he doesn’t bench a decent weight for an nfl player. He’s weak af and is only effective when the OC puts him in space. 

I take it you don't play football. Bench press has little to no bearing on whether or not a player has functional strength on a football field. 

Sure he's not a power runner...Who cares? That's not his game. He uses his burst/quickness to make plays when there are holes. Unfortunately the Panthers OL has sucked this season. He has the exact same yards per carry that teammate and former 1st round pick Jonathan Stewart has this season, who happens to be 235lbs and did 28 reps on the bench. So tell me more about how McCaffrey can't run between the tackles and doesn't bench enough lol

Archived