QB Rankings, 2017 Half Way

Danger

Before the start of the season, we had this thread, in which we ranked the QBs of the League, a lot has changed with new faces emerging and thriving, with others looking like a shell of their former selves. Consider this the interim report of QB grades. The criteria that comes into play is completely up to you.

Here are mine:
1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Drew Brees
4. Russell Wilson
5. Matt Ryan
6. Matthew Stafford
7. Andrew Luck
8. Alex Smith
9. Kirk Cousins
10. Carson Wentz
11. Dak Prescott
12. Derek Carr
13. Phillip Rivers
14. Ben Roethlisberger
15. DeShaun Watson
16. Ryan Tannehill
17. Tyrod Taylor 
18. Eli Manning
19. Blake Bortles
20. Jared Goff
21. Andy Dalton
22. Cam Newton
23. Jameis Winston
24. Marcus Mariota
25. Josh McCown
26. Carson Palmer
27. Sam Bradford
28. Brian Hoyer
29. Mitchell Trubisky
30. Trevor Siemian
31. Joe Flacco
32. DeShone Kizer

Elite Tier:

Brady/Rodgers/Brees

Great Tier:

Wilson/Wentz/Cousins

Very Good Tier:

Luck/Ryan/Smith/Carr

Franchise QB Tier:

Goff/Rivers/Roethlisburger/Prescott/Mariota/Stafford

Borderline Franchise QB Tier:

Winston/Newton/Dalton/Taylor/Bradford

High Quality Backup Low Quality Starter Tier: 

McCown/Hoyer/Flacco/Cutler/Tannehill/Brissett/Manning/Kaepernick/Palmer

1- Rodgers

2- Brady

3- Wilson

4- Brees 

5- Ryan

6- Stafford

7- Carr

8- Wentz

9- Luck

10- Dak

11- Alex

12- Big Ben 

13- Watson

14- Cousins

15- Rivers

16- Newton

17- Flacco

18- Winston

19- Mariota

20- Goff

21- Dalton

22- Taylor

23- Bradford

24- Manning

25- Palmer

26- McCown

27- Gapporolo

28- Bortles

29- Cutler

30- Siemian/Brock

31- Trubisky

32- Browns QBs

Some guys (Luck, Watson, Jimmy G, Jameis/Mariota) are really hard to place

OOooooo, I'll do two lists. A "right here right now list", and an overall level-of-talent list.

TODAY

Brady

Wentz

Brees

Smith

Wilson

Goff

Carr

Ryan

Cousins

Roethlisberger 

OVERALL, EVERYONE HEALTHY

Rodgers

Brady

Brees

Wilson

Smith

Roethlisberger

Wentz

Watson

Carr

Luck

1. Tom Brady

2. Drew Brees

3. Russell Wilson

4. Carson Wentz

5. Alex Smith

6. Matthew Stafford

7. Dak Prescott

8. Kirk Cousins

9. Derek Carr

10. Matt Ryan

11. Phillip Rivers

12. Ben Roethlisberger  

13. Jared Goff

14. Marcus Mariota

15. Cam Newton

16. Jameis Winston

17. Andy Dalton

18. Tyrod Taylor

19. Case Keenum

20. Josh McCown

21. Eli Manning

22. Jacoby Brissett 

23. Blake Bortles

24. Joe Flacco

25. Mitchell Trubisky

26. Brock Osweiler?

27. C.J. Beathard?  

28. Drew Stanton

29. Brett Hundley

30. Jay Cutler 

31. Deshone Kizer

32. Tom Savage

As I did at the start of the season, I'm ranking the current starting quarterbacks to the best of my knowledge. 

If the Broncos QB is Trevor Siemian, I'd drop his ranking down two spots.  

If the 49ers QB is Jimmy G, he's be ranked..... somewhere in the 18-22 range.  #18based on where I would project him to be, #22 because he hasn't played so I'm going to hedge my bets and not rank him ahead of QB's who have played at least decently.... or Eli Manning. This QB list is frightening.  I have Blake Bortles almost outside of the bottom ten.  Blake Bortles!!!  He's still terrible and the Jaguars have been winning in part because they've minimized his impact. 

I'm cutting Cam Newton a lot of slack based on his surrounding cast.  Not as much as I did on the last ranking I did, but moreso than other quarterbacks.  When he plays, I still see what he could be if he had a decent surrounding cast.  His o-line is terrible, his run game is non existent and he's been given nothing but tall slow receivers when he relies on deep passing to bail himself out of trouble. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  We are seeing the Alex Smith we would have seen all along had he switched places with Aaron Rodgers in the 2005 NFL draft.

Andy Dalton and Tyrod Taylor are rising through my ranks based entirely on other quarterbacks getting injured. 

Having Phillip Rivers at #11 and Ben Roethlisberger at #12 again gives me a small amount of schadenfreude. 

56 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I have Winston well in the 20s. Is that harsh?

I would say it depends if you have the likes of Rodgers, Luck, Bradford and Watson on your list.  If you do, not so bad.  If you don't.... pretty harsh. 

Brees really hasn't been amazing this year.  He's been efficient and more of a game manager than carryign the team, thank god we got Ramzy to keep our OL up and running with Strief and Armstead injuries, but I'd probably put him outside of the top 5 this year based on his current stats, though I would've put him top 2 in the majority of his other yeras with the Saints.

On 11/3/2017 at 11:39 PM, Raves said:

Brees really hasn't been amazing this year.  He's been efficient and more of a game manager than carryign the team, thank god we got Ramzy to keep our OL up and running with Strief and Armstead injuries, but I'd probably put him outside of the top 5 this year based on his current stats, though I would've put him top 2 in the majority of his other yeras with the Saints.

Brees hasn't been at MVP level, but he's been much more than a game manager.  His comp% is at a career high, his yards/attempt are the highest since 2011, his int% is at a career low, and he's on pace for over 4k yards and 26 TDs and a 105 rating.  Bulk stats-wise, he's a good bit lower than usual, but his usual is so astronomically high it makes him look like a game manager, but he is most definitely not.

By comparison, alex Smith, the prototypical game manager, has never thrown more than 4k yards in a season, and his highest TD total ever was 23.  He is of course on pace for higher stats this year, but this year he's not been a game manager at all.

His stats are very similar to 2006 stats, and he led the league in passing yards in 2006 and made the NFCCG.

But I agree with you that Brees isn't carrying the team, and that plus relatively low bulk stats puts him out of the MVP conversation.

Archived