Eagles sign QB Sudfeld to active roster. Waive DT Hamilton

ninjapirate

Just now, Phire said:

Browns looking for their HOFT (Haul of the Future). Sudfeld would be a cheaper backup than Foles. Something to keep an eye on for next year.

What are the implications of us cutting Foles next year? 

And are we still going to go forward with 5 runningbacks?

13 minutes ago, Danger said:

What are the implications of us cutting Foles next year? 

We would take a 5.4 million cap hit if we cut him next year and would save 2.2 million.

I don't think we are taking that hit unless we get a good trade offer for him which probably isn't very likely.

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

We would take a 5.4 million cap hit if we cut him next year and would save 2.2 million.

I don't think we are taking that hit unless we get a good trade offer for him which probably isn't very likely.

We once traded AJ Feeley for a 2nd round pick. And apparently theres a market for guys like AJ McCarron. Jay Cutler even got pulled out of retirement for a QB job.

There's gotta be someone out there who'll take the bait on Foles, I'm confident in that. 

27 minutes ago, Phire said:

We once traded AJ Feeley for a 2nd round pick. And apparently theres a market for guys like AJ McCarron. Jay Cutler even got pulled out of retirement for a QB job.

There's gotta be someone out there who'll take the bait on Foles, I'm confident in that. 

Hope it happens. I hated the Foles contract when it was announced and hate it now.

We give 6 or 7 million per year to guys like Foles or Daniels when a back-up shouldn't cost that much.

I mean just look at the Vikings right now. Keenum is their back-up and doing well. He only cost them 1.9 million.

Sudfeld wants to play but looked at the decision as the best for his long-term interests.

"When they said they were going to activate me, it was impossible to pass this up because I love being here and it feels pretty special," Sudfeld said. "It says a lot that they can believe in me and think I can be here for a long time. I'm very excited about the opportunity and flattered the other team showed interest, but I'm really excited to stay here. We have something special going."

Sudfeld is in his second year in the league after spending his rookie campaign on Washington's active roster. The 6-6, 227-pound Sudfeld was released at the end of the preseason and chose not to re-sign with Washington's practice squad. He loves being with the Eagles' coaching staff.

"It's invaluable. It's unbelievable. If you have one of those coaches coaching you, you love that, but to have three is incredible," Sudfeld said referring to head coach Doug Pederson, offensive coordinator Frank Reich, and quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo. "It's a lot of quarterback minds up there. It's a really good working environment with all of those guys."

Activating Sudfeld itself isn't really a big deal, but I find it interesting that this dude could have gone elsewhere for a better opportunity but decided to stay here behind a franchise QB and Foles, meaning he's really got no shot at playing, but wants to be around this team and the coaching staff. He repeated that it feels "special" here. I mean if you still needed evidence that the player have fully bought in, look no further than our scout team QB being enthusiastic about being the scout team QB for this team, rather than going somewhere else where he might have had a better chance to see the field.

Archived