LA Rams: General Thread

MDY10

17 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

And yet McVay seems to want him. 

McVay/Snead clearly missed here. Which isn't a big deal for a day 3 pick. Hopefully they learn from it and do better due diligence on guys in the future. 

5 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

Bennett has always struck me as a Ken Dorsey type - perennial backup QB and future QB coach, and ends up sticking on a roster as a result, but never really start material.  It says a lot that Dorsey stuck as long as he did with the Browns in spite of them being a revolving door of starting QB's - ironically none of which included Dorsey.  Just spitballing here, but I think this may be McVay's way of keeping a QB coach that can bridge his system to whoever eventually takes over from Stafford (in the event it's not another trade-for-an-established-vet situation and we have to invest a premium draft pick in the position), considering that he loses his coordinators/QB coaches roughly every-other year because this is such a copycat league.

Every team can use one of those. I'm pretty sure the Rams had that in mind when they drafted him. 

5 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

McVay/Snead clearly missed here. Which isn't a big deal for a day 3 pick. Hopefully they learn from it and do better due diligence on guys in the future. 

He's still on the team so tbh the jury is still out on whether he's a miss or not. It sucks that we got nothing from him last year but it worked out for the year ok in the end. We'll see what this season holds for Bennett. 

13 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

He's still on the team so tbh the jury is still out on whether he's a miss or not. It sucks that we got nothing from him last year but it worked out for the year ok in the end. We'll see what this season holds for Bennett. 

Agree, I hope he proves me wrong. McVay's words are always basically going to be supportive of the player. But the action of signing Jimmy G at least tells us that he's definitely not sold on Bennett's ability/availability this year. 

• Like 1

See, this is where Brock Purdy ruined it for everyone (yet another reason to hate the damn Niners!).  It was easy - because it made sense - to write off Tom Brady as the needle in the haystack, exception to the rule that, with how ceiling is picked over like bones in a desert full of vultures, QB's obtained after the 4th round (and that's being generous and letting Dak be the cutoff) just plain don't have the upside to develop into long-term starting QB's; if for no other reason than scarcity in the pool.  Before Purdy, if a QB was picked on Day 3 or after, barring the most fanciful of fans, you could get a general consensus that no higher than a hopeful long-term backup QB would that guy ascend and we wouldn't have people (and I'm not naming names or pulling up receipts, but there were some on this sub that were guilty of this) harboring the belief that he could be an out-and-out successor to Stafford.

McVay has been a paradigm-setting type of HC.  So expecting to be able to apply the rubrics and molds of what is the established way of doing things in the league to how he does things is like an oil and water type of thing.  There's a lot here to unpack, but the TLDR is that I think people tend to read too much into a lot of things and not leave room for nuance.  It's very rarely strictly black and white but a gradient of about 100 shades of gray.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Agree, I hope he proves me wrong. McVay's words are always basically going to be supportive of the player. But the action of signing Jimmy G at least tells us that he's definitely not sold on Bennett's ability/availability this year. 

New rule though is third QBs can be active on GameDay so we need a 3rd.

15 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

So, are they naming that rule after the Ravens or the Vikings?  ... or the Steelers because they need at least 3 active QB's because since Ben they haven't had 1 good one, so they need to be able to bench one guy for another and still have a backup to backup the backup without having to go back to the original (bad) starter?

23 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Right but the 3rd guy is able to come from the PS. It would be easy to get us a Rypien/Wolford to have as the emergency QB3 and also be in the QB room. McVay/Snead are telling us there is too much risk to go into the season with Stetson as QB2. I've always been a fan of Stetson so I hope he is good in whatever role we put him in. 

I'd also think it would be insane to trust Stetson as the QB2 with no proven backup with him. But unless we put Stetson on the PS, we are wasting a roster spot and cap space carrying 3 QBs. 

1 hour ago, Dr LBC said:

So, are they naming that rule after the Ravens or the Vikings?  ... or the Steelers because they need at least 3 active QB's because since Ben they haven't had 1 good one, so they need to be able to bench one guy for another and still have a backup to backup the backup without having to go back to the original (bad) starter?

Whiners rule tbh

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 1:47 PM, LeotheLion said:

Right but the 3rd guy is able to come from the PS. It would be easy to get us a Rypien/Wolford to have as the emergency QB3 and also be in the QB room. McVay/Snead are telling us there is too much risk to go into the season with Stetson as QB2. I've always been a fan of Stetson so I hope he is good in whatever role we put him in. 

I'd also think it would be insane to trust Stetson as the QB2 with no proven backup with him. But unless we put Stetson on the PS, we are wasting a roster spot and cap space carrying 3 QBs. 

Stetson has already proven he can't be trusted. That plus his age and lack of natural talent means they wasted a pick on this guy.