LA Rams: General Thread

MDY10

53 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Nick Scott was atrocious Sunday. Start Burgess along side Rapp. We drafted him for his ability to play multiple positions. Fuller lacks elite athleticism, but is probably our smartest DB. He made sure everyone was where they were supposed to be and on assignment.

Fuller is able to play that deep safety role. I don't think Rapp (who is also hurt) or Burgess have the range to want to play that position. Not saying Scott is ideal there either. It's a big loss but I think the loss is more due to the lack of depth. We have no other safeties I trust in coverage. I've wanted to see Burgess all year but for whatever reason no one on the staff trusts him. 

The blueprint for this defense being in trouble is who is going to be roaming the middle. Scott, Rapp, Reeder, and Howard sounds like a disaster. Especially without Hopkins, would expect Ramsey to be in the star a lot to give the middle some help.

Edited by LeotheLion

19 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Fuller is able to play that deep safety role. I don't think Rapp (who is also hurt) or Burgess have the range to want to play that position. Not saying Scott is ideal there either. It's a big loss but I think the loss is more due to the lack of depth. We have no other safeties I trust in coverage. I've wanted to see Burgess all year but for whatever reason no one on the staff trusts him. 

The blueprint for this defense being in trouble is who is going to be roaming the middle. Scott, Rapp, Reeder, and Howard sounds like a disaster. Especially without Hopkins, would expect Ramsey to be in the star a lot to give the middle some help.

Howard has been playing really well the last 2 weeks actually and made a nice play in coverage on Sunday I thought.

Burgess should have the range to fill that role, but will probably struggle on jump balls, however as you mentioned, the staff doesn't want him to see the field (WHY). I don't think the depth is as big of an issue considering we're down Fuller and Rochell. Not many teams can say they trust their 5th and 6th DB in coverage in the playoffs lol that's beyond a luxury. 

Let's just hope we don't have to play the 49ers again and we'll be fine lmao

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

Howard has been playing really well the last 2 weeks actually and made a nice play in coverage on Sunday I thought.

Burgess should have the range to fill that role, but will probably struggle on jump balls, however as you mentioned, the staff doesn't want him to see the field (WHY). I don't think the depth is as big of an issue considering we're down Fuller and Rochell. Not many teams can say they trust their 5th and 6th DB in coverage in the playoffs lol that's beyond a luxury. 

Let's just hope we don't have to play the 49ers again and we'll be fine lmao

I agree on Howard, he's not been a huge step down from Jones. But his lack of experience worries me and Kyler puts a different stress on the linebackers. He has never seen that mobility before and we saw how much Kenny Young killed us containing Kyler in week 4. Which is why I think Leonard Floyd and Von Miller are the key. They have to keep Kyler in the pocket and limit scramble lanes. 

Though it's not just the 5th and 6th DBs, it is I don't trust any of our safeties in coverage now. Although the only team I am really worried about exploiting that is GB. And we can worry about that match-up if it happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

I agree on Howard, he's not been a huge step down from Jones. But his lack of experience worries me and Kyler puts a different stress on the linebackers. He has never seen that mobility before and we saw how much Kenny Young killed us containing Kyler in week 4. Which is why I think Leonard Floyd and Von Miller are the key. They have to keep Kyler in the pocket and limit scramble lanes. 

Though it's not just the 5th and 6th DBs, it is I don't trust any of our safeties in coverage now. Although the only team I am really worried about exploiting that is GB. And we can worry about that match-up if it happens.

If I see Troy Reeder in the flat on Monday night, I'm going to throw my remote through my TV. I cringe whenever I see the play unfold and it's tracking towards him. I'll take my chances with Howard, but as you pointed out, really need Floyd/Miller to contain. 

9 hours ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

We can survive without Whit if need be because of Noteboom, but getting Jones back would be big. 

Jones would be nice though I think he's a bit more of a gamechanger in the next round. It is the playoffs so you don't hold any bullets back but I don't think the Bucs will be able to exploit the linebackers in the run game. Reeder in coverage does scare me a lot though but I have liked what I've seen from Howard. And I think the staff hopefully understands what Reeder can and cannot do at this point. 

Agree on Whitworth too. If I recall, Noteboom played against Tampa in 2020 and played well. Though losing Whitworth does probably eliminate the jumbo packages but I think with Akers back that may also be a bit less necessary with his running style.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 1:29 PM, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Anyone else impressed with Burgess’ performance last night? I understand it’s a one game sample where the whole defense dominated but he, in particular, also looked very good. WHY hasn’t he gotten any playing time? I feel like the coaching staff owes us fans an explanation of some sort. 

I was thinking the same. He looks good whenever he's on the field.

• Like 1