LA Rams: General Thread

MDY10

The 2022 Rams officially have the worst record of any defending Super Bowl champion, eclipsing the 1982 49ers, also surpassing the 1999 Broncos for most losses by a defending champion.

But what do both of those teams have in common? They returned to the playoffs the following year. The 49ers would go on to have a then-record 16 consecutive 10-win seasons, making the playoffs in all but one of those seasons.

If history holds, the Rams will be back in the playoffs next season.

Just now, pf9 said:

The 2022 Rams officially have the worst record of any defending Super Bowl champion, eclipsing the 1982 49ers, also surpassing the 1999 Broncos for most losses by a defending champion.

But what do both of those teams have in common? They returned to the playoffs the following year. The 49ers would go on to have a then-record 16 consecutive 10-win seasons, making the playoffs in all but one of those seasons.

If history holds, the Rams will be back in the playoffs next season.

Maybe as a WC but no chance we win this division for the next few years

1 minute ago, Flounch said:

Maybe as a WC but no chance we win this division for the next few years

I've already predicted the Cardinals would win the NFC West next year, since the Seahawks won it in 2020, the Rams last year, and the 49ers this year, so the Cardinals winning it next year would complete the cycle.

Plus if the Rams and Chargers finish in the same position in their divisions next year, they get another meeting in 2024; it should be on SNF early in the season if both teams are coming off playoff appearances.

10 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Also, i think it would be a good thing if Mcvay take a year off and then comeback. He needs to clean his head with the playcalling.

If he comes back after a year off, I doubt it’ll be with the rams. I don’t see how they hire someone and give him the boot after a year. Maybe we can get a first round pick though for him like the saints want with Payton 

5 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Assuming McVay is gone, my wish list for coaches would be Ben Johnson or Demeco Ryans. I wouldn't hate Raheem Morris. Can go grab Evero as DC. I think I'd like Raheem a lot more as a HC over DC. 

IF McVay is gone which I’ll believe it when I see it my wishlist is Sean Payton, Eric Bieniemy, or Demeco Ryans. I think Payton would be hot after the Rams if McVay leaves. It’s just if the Rams can meet the Saints asking price which I’m sure Les will do what he has to do to make it happen. 

42 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Assuming McVay is gone, my wish list for coaches would be Ben Johnson or Demeco Ryans. I wouldn't hate Raheem Morris. Can go grab Evero as DC. I think I'd like Raheem a lot more as a HC over DC. 

McVay isn't going imo. But I'd also pick DeMeco Ryans.

3 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

IF McVay is gone which I’ll believe it when I see it my wishlist is Sean Payton, Eric Bieniemy, or Demeco Ryans. I think Payton would be hot after the Rams if McVay leaves. It’s just if the Rams can meet the Saints asking price which I’m sure Les will do what he has to do to make it happen. 

I really want no part of Payton and the cost to obtain is only part of that reason.  Les has enough built-up cred at this point for unearthing the gem that was McVay in spite of the flack he caught for hiring a 1st-time HC who was younger than some of the players on the roster who had near-minimum coordinator experience; he's earned the benefit of the doubt for another bite at the apple if he needs to take one.

For the sake of offensive continuity, I wouldn't be opposed to poaching Waldron back - though, similar to the way McVay was, I feel like he'd need to be paired with a previously-tenured HC as his primary assistant.  If Les truly does believe that McVay only needs a temporary hiatus, I could see them possibly handing the reins over to Jay Gruden - the remaining years on his contract aren't that many, he could do for an opportunity to rehab his resume/reputation for another shot at a HC gig, and he likely gives us the strongest case for continuity across the whole staff (Morris has been an assistant for him in the past).

The next Reid protoge I'd have any interest in wouldn't be Bienemy, it would b Mike Kafka but I don't feel like he's ready yet; probably Duce Staley, too.

I really can't see us hiring a defensive-minded HC either, because that would very likely signal to Morris that he wasn't wanted here - and while I've had some qualms with the situational play-calling of the defense this season, the defense wasn't the problem and those guys responded to Morris.

Sean Payton hasn't ever shown that he can succeed without a perennial Top 10 (minimum, usually Top 5) OL and we are... EXTREMELY FAR from even sniffing that.

4 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

If we didn't have to give up a pick, I'd love Payton. Especially because he's rumored to be linked with Fangio. 

Bieniemy could be a good choice if we are going for a tank commander.