LA Rams: General Thread

MDY10

15 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Freeman's a - likely - camp body who already has experience in a zone system and, IIRC, in a offensive system similar to the one McVay runs.  The #3/4 RB spot on this team has almost always been in a state of flux, and sometimes the guy that gets brought in midseason moves himself further up the depth chart as the youth of the corps succeed or fail at things like pass-blocking, catch-consistency, and so forth.

With the new structure of how cuts go down in the offseason (I'm pretty sure they're just requiring one big cut to trim the roster down to the 51+9, I think Les could be hedging his bets to have someone largely expendable who could be upgraded upon if an unexpected cut happens because another team's rookie or 2nd-year runner shows out with flying colors in the preseason.  All-be-he not without his own injury concerns, if Eric Gray or James Robinson show out for the Giants, Matt Brieda could be a camp-casualty.  I have serious doubts that the Niners would cut Tyrion Davis-Price, but last I knew Jordan Mason finished last season ahead of him on the depth chart... and that was for the #3 spot behind McCaffrey and Elijah Mitchell.

Agree he's likely a camp body. Especially coming off of 2.7 and 2.9YPC over the last two years.

I have no doubts there will be some RBs cut, but I'd still love Hunt/Zeke vs any of the guys you named. Difference would be a few mil, but I'm willing to bet we're waiting on an OLB/EDGE cap casualty to pounce on and then focus on RB upgrade after that. So many big name FA's still available on the market that teams are likely evaluating what's currently in house.

11 hours ago, MDY10 said:

Man I hope it’s nothing serious

Dodged a bullet. I'm worried about Kupp though. We might be talking about him in a 30 for 30 one day for the wrong reasons. Guys body just can't hold up. He plays hard, but it adds an additional amount of stress.

7 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Dodged a bullet. I'm worried about Kupp though. We might be talking about him in a 30 for 30 one day for the wrong reasons. Guys body just can't hold up. He plays hard, but it adds an additional amount of stress.

Glad he will be fine for week 1.. but an injury like this before the season starts does worry me. One reason being he has injury history and second reason being that these types of injuries linger sometimes. That said, I trust the training staff and know they’ll be smart about it. 

Anyone else feel we are the biggest boom or bust team in the league?

Currently have the 3rd best odds to have the #1 overall pick.

However, in a weak NFC and a favorable schedule, we could easily be a Wild Card. 

Injuries will be key, development from the young guys on the back end of our defense will also be huge. I assume we give up 23-24PPG and our offense will have to put up points, but McVay-Stafford-Donald-Kupp is better than alot of teams out there currently.

I really don't see why we would be the biggest boom or bust in the league. 

It would be a pleasant surprise to see this team go in PO but it wouldn't be something extraordinary. 

And if we don't go in PO, well it would'nt be a surprise neither. 

We shouldn't expect a lot from this team this year. So either way, we don't have a lot of pressure. 

14 hours ago, Flounch said:

I really don't see why we would be the biggest boom or bust in the league. 

It would be a pleasant surprise to see this team go in PO but it wouldn't be something extraordinary. 

And if we don't go in PO, well it would'nt be a surprise neither. 

We shouldn't expect a lot from this team this year. So either way, we don't have a lot of pressure. 

We have the 3rd best odds to get the #1 pick next year.

We have worse odds to the win the NFC than the Panthers and the Commanders on some books.

So Vegas thinks we're garbage. On the other hand, we can potentially get in the playoffs and make noise if we do. That's why I say boom or bust.

I think i was never so excited about our backup QB since a long time. Bennett showed a lof good things in the 1st presason match. He made severals rookie mistake but overall, it was a good show up. 

On the OL, Bruss looks like a bust. Robinson, Nacua and Johnson were quite good. 

Jones the DB made several plays. 

And as predicted, the DL is the weakest group on this team. Very inexperienced and no pressure at all. 

tomlinson graps alot.

#26 is awful.

zach thomas is way better than logan bruss.

dl and edge were bad.

could the ol be:

LT: noteboom
LG: avila or jackson
C allen
RG: shelton
RT: havenstein

because jackson played yesterday. but the back up c had a rest day or the back up lt?

1 hour ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

tomlinson graps alot.

#26 is awful.

zach thomas is way better than logan bruss.

dl and edge were bad.

could the ol be:

LT: noteboom
LG: avila or jackson
C allen
RG: shelton
RT: havenstein

because jackson played yesterday. but the back up c had a rest day or the back up lt?

The combination that Whitworth threw out as a suggestion on the ABC broadcast was Jackson at LT and shifting Noteboom to RG.

oh i can see that.
but why were shelton, allen and noteboom resting while jackson played the preseason game?

do you really rest your back up center in a pre season game, while your starting left tackle plays?

last season they started with allen at c, shelton at rg and noteboom at lt.

I thought there was a lot of good from the preseason. Though I'm not positive what was happening with the run defense on several plays. And I didn't see that much of a hold on the long TD that got called back. Part of it looked like really bad execution by the edge defenders. I'm expecting the defense to absolutely suck to start the year and then hopefully can progress as the season goes on and they get some reps. The offense will have to carry the team through the bye week would be my guess.

And it is just one game, but woof on the special teams. 

15 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

oh i can see that.
but why were shelton, allen and noteboom resting while jackson played the preseason game?

do you really rest your back up center in a pre season game, while your starting left tackle plays?

last season they started with allen at c, shelton at rg and noteboom at lt.

It's about different combinations getting a feel for each other.  From what Whit was saying, the Jackson/Avila combination was really, really humming well together - and Avila is basically a lock for the LG spot not only because it's been a glaring hole for us, but that's also where he played most for TCU including in that run to the National Championship game where they didn't surrender a sack.

Edited by Dr LBC
  • Like 1