GDT Balt vs Cinci 2: Electric Bengaloo

DreamKid

With every passing snap of Huntley and Johnson actually throwing to and hitting open WRs the narrative of “Roman can’t get these guys open” seems to be dissolving.

Think we need to have an honest conversation about Lamar in this passing game. We had the suspicion but it’s pretty clear now he was passing up open options and holding the ball way too long this year.

18 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

With every passing snap of Huntley and Johnson actually throwing to and hitting open WRs the narrative of “Roman can’t get these guys open” seems to be dissolving.

Think we need to have an honest conversation about Lamar in this passing game. We had the suspicion but it’s pretty clear now he was passing up open options and holding the ball way too long this year.

I feel like everyone forgot the first half of the season with Lamar (without Bateman for most of it) and is overstating how long his terrible stretch was. 

14 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I feel like everyone forgot the first half of the season with Lamar (without Bateman for most of it) and is overstating how long his terrible stretch was. 

Disagree.

He put up great passing #s against KC, IND, and MIN but we were trailing early and pretty much throughout the entirety in those games so he threw it like 50 times. A big reason we were down as big as we were in those games is because he played objectively poorly early on in them.

He was good the entire game at Denver. Probably his best game of the season IMO. 

He was meh-average against LV, DET, and LAC.

He was bad against Miami, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and first Cincy game.

He’s obviously our QB going forward and that’s great, he’s a great player, but we need to be honest in assessing him this season.

Outside of the Herculean efforts in the 2nd halves against KC, IND, and MIN, he wasn’t very good this year.

6 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Disagree.

He put up great passing #s against KC, IND, and MIN but we were trailing early and pretty much throughout the entirety in those games so he threw it like 50 times. A big reason we were down as big as we were in those games is because he played objectively poorly early on in them.

He was good the entire game at Denver. Probably his best game of the season IMO. 

He was meh-average against LV, DET, and LAC.

He was bad against Miami, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and first Cincy game.

He’s obviously our QB going forward and that’s great, he’s a great player, but we need to be honest in assessing him this season.

Outside of the Herculean efforts in the 2nd halves against KC, IND, and MIN, he wasn’t very good this year.

The offense was average to slightly above average in offensive DVOA before the second Cleveland game. The quality of players that were there during that span were far below average. I value offensive production and especially efficiency a lot more than the narratives that overhype or dismiss or excuse certain results. What I weight heavily is that with Lamar playing we have been the amount of scoring we do per drive is far better most of the league and the supporting cast talent-wise has been worse than average as a whole.

Edited by wackywabbit

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

The offense was average to slightly above average in offensive DVOA before the second Cleveland game. The quality of players that were there during that span were far below average. I value offensive production and especially efficiency a lot more than the narratives that overhype or dismiss or excuse certain results. What I weight heavily is that with Lamar playing we have been the amount of scoring we do per drive is far better most of the league and the supporting cast talent-wise has been worse than average as a whole.

Yeah I think we’ll just agree to disagree because those same players you don’t think highly of have executed as efficiently or more efficiently the past 3 weeks with Huntley (CLE + GB) and today with Johnson. I think it’s pretty clear to see the difference in the offense’s ability to move the ball the past few weeks vs what it looked like against Miami, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and the first few drives with Lamar in the 2nd Cleveland game.

It was clear that group of players weren’t successfully moving and scoring during that stretch. It’s been the same group of players the past few weeks but the execution has looked a lot better. I don’t think that’s arguable.

I know our defense is down some players, but it seems like the bigger problem vs Cincy is that they seem to know exactly what's coming, and they have a perfect play to counter it. They undressed Wink the first matchup when we had more players. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is our defense really that decimated? Our front 7 is largely intact and has starting caliber players at all positions. We have 2 out of our 3 top safeties (Clark and Stephens). Yes our CBs are decimated outside of Young. 

I just don't think we can just use excuses for this kind of performance given we still have some talent on the defensive side of the ball. The bigger problem is that Burrow and Taylor absolutely own Wink.