GDT Balt vs Cinci 2: Electric Bengaloo

DreamKid

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

I know our defense is down some players, but it seems like the bigger problem vs Cincy is that they seem to know exactly what's coming, and they have a perfect play to counter it. They undressed Wink the first matchup when we had more players. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is our defense really that decimated? Our front 7 is largely intact and has starting caliber players at all positions. We have 2 out of our 3 top safeties (Clark and Stephens). Yes our CBs are decimated outside of Young. 

I just don't think we can just use excuses for this kind of performance given we still have some talent on the defensive side of the ball. The bigger problem is that Burrow and Taylor absolutely own Wink. 

It’s also time to admit to ourselves that maybe it’s Wink’s scheme that stunts our pass rush/pressure potential. 

How many years have we said “man, we need X pass rusher, then we’ll really be cooking”, just to see our pass rushers go elsewhere and dominate.

I like Wink as our DC but every coordinator has strengths and weaknesses and I think getting pass rush out of individual players without having to send the house every play is definitely his weakness.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

It was clear that group of players weren’t successfully moving and scoring during that stretch. It’s been the same group of players the past few weeks but the execution has looked a lot better. I don’t think that’s arguable.

Yea, "has looked a lot better" isn't the type of input I'd look for when we evaluate the offense in the offseason.

Let's see how the points per game and more importantly points per drive compare at the end of the season for Jackson vs Huntley/Johnson.

Edited by wackywabbit

Just now, wackywabbit said:

Yea, "has looked a lot better" isn't the type of input I'd look for when we evaluate the offense in the offseason.

Wait, so what are you even arguing, then?

I’m not saying anything about being content with the offense as a whole when it’s evaluated this offseason, dude. Clearly we need better OL and we played this year with replacement RBs.

I said Lamar has struggled this year.

You seemingly disagreed with that notion because of the talent around him.

I said that same talent around him has looked better in recent weeks with different QBs, but the same passing system, so maybe it’s not all on “Roman sucks” and maybe Lamar playing as poorly as he had been had something to do with the offense’s issues.

Not sure what else to tell you. Not saying anything about the offense at large - just pointing out that Lamar’s struggles were to blame as well.

If you disagree with that - or you think that statement is cause to automatically come in and defend Lamar because I’m unfairly criticizing him - idk what to tell you, you’re just not living in the reality of this past football season

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

Wait, so what are you even arguing, then?

I’m not saying anything about being content with the offense as a whole when it’s evaluated this offseason, dude. Clearly we need better OL and we played this year with replacement RBs.

I said Lamar has struggled this year.

You seemingly disagreed with that notion because of the talent around him.

I said that same talent around him has looked better in recent weeks with different QBs, but the same passing system, so maybe it’s not all on “Roman sucks” and maybe Lamar playing as poorly as he had been had something to do with the offense’s issues.

Not sure what else to tell you. Not saying anything about the offense at large - just pointing out that Lamar’s struggles were to blame as well.

If you disagree with that - or you think that statement is cause to automatically come in and defend Lamar because I’m unfairly criticizing him - idk what to tell you, you’re just not living in the reality of this past football season

Forget the pro/anti-Lamar aspect. I'm saying stop saying "has looked better" and say things like has been scoring more points/yards and/or less TOs per drive/game.

3 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Forget the pro/anti-Lamar aspect. I'm saying stop saying "has looked better" and say things like has been scoring more points/yards and/or less TOs per drive/game.

...?

We HAVE been scoring more points in these games the past few weeks under Huntley and Johnson than we were under Lamar the last 4-5 of his starts lol

Just now, wackywabbit said:

yes

And Detroit. And the first Cincy game. 

We’re up to 5 of Lamar’s 10 starts now lol why are you acting like 50% of his starts this year is some ridiculous over exaggeration on my part?

If the offense struggles in 50% of a QBs starts it’s not an over exaggeration to say maybe his play contributed to the offense’s struggles - which was my original point to begin with.

6 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

So the Bengals, with a passing offense ranked 23rd in DVOA, go 37-46 for 525 yards. 

I'm sorry, even with the excuses, that just doesn't cut it. Especially when the offense was moving the ball a bit despite missing QBs 1 and 2. The only stop we got all game was a missed FG. 

Um, did you see the players in our secondary? I'm not sure what you were expecting from this game. 

43 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Lineman and DBs all offseason

We had DBs such as Nigel Warrior but chose to keep Anthony Levine instead, who is basically unplayable on defense. 

We had Shaun Wade but chose to jettison him instead of develop him. 

We have Jimmy Smith but he seems to be just stealing from the Ravens this season. 

But I'd say a core of Humphrey, Peters, Young, Westry is pretty good going into 2022 if the first 2 recover. 

14 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

So the Bengals, with a passing offense ranked 23rd in DVOA, go 37-46 for 525 yards. 

I'm sorry, even with the excuses, that just doesn't cut it. Especially when the offense was moving the ball a bit despite missing QBs 1 and 2. The only stop we got all game was a missed FG. 

You continue to post the most wild takes. You're @paraven aren't you? Lol

Edited by baltimoreRebel

1 hour ago, baltimoreRebel said:

You continue to post the most wild takes. You're @paraven aren't you? Lol

No because I am a Lamar guy 4 life lol

EDIT: I just think Wink is way overrated and needs to be replaced. This guy is talking smack about Burrow this week and then he lights up Wink's D for 525 yards. He's a Neanderthal who thinks he's smart, but any smart OC/QB will figure out his blitzes and coverages. 

Edited by AngusMcFife