? Week Nine: Buccaneers (2-5) @ Saints (5-2)

bucsfan333

2 minutes ago, YoungBucs15 said:

Or why we make them play slow from the beginning.  We have seen the few times we go no huddle we are much better and get in rhythm quicker.  I understand you can only do it when we are moving the chains or the defense tires out faster but when not come out and see what happens, can't go any worse than it has been in the 1st quarter. 

We opened with a little no huddle, either against Carolina or Buffalo. It worked for a couple first downs. Then we punted, like usual.

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

We opened with a little no huddle, either against Carolina or Buffalo. It worked for a couple first downs. Then we punted, like usual.

I believe it was Buffalo and we ended up moving the ball and having it die out in the redzone.  Jameis seems to do better when he can make the calls and adjust on the fly, almost like when he does what Koetter says, he tries to do exactly what the reads say and forces it.  I understand there's more that goes into it but much better at improvising and reacting most times.

11 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Why do we not design more plays to get Jameis moving around? 

You put your QB more at risk for big hits outside the pocket. DEs know there is less risk of Roughing the Passer calls when they leave between the tackles. Look at poor Aaron Rodgers this season. Anywho, hoping for no injuries this game. Good luck, fellas.

7 hours ago, YoungBucs15 said:

Or why we make them play slow from the beginning.  We have seen the few times we go no huddle we are much better and get in rhythm quicker.  I understand you can only do it when we are moving the chains or the defense tires out faster but when not come out and see what happens, can't go any worse than it has been in the 1st quarter. 

Yeah it drives me bonkers. Even if we aren't trying to be a Chip Kelly offense, don't huddle as much and just go to the line and let Jameis do his thing. We don't have to hike the ball with 20 seconds remaining on the play clock. This would not allow the defense to sub and it would let Jameis just play football and not overthink everything.

Honestly I think Jameis is his own worst enemy. The dude is a perfectionist. That's cool and all, but coaches need to see that and just let him play sometimes. That is when he is at his best. Look at the numbers. You get so detailed with "throw it here, that's where the ball needs to go" and Jameis forces passes. No longer to just Evans, but to where the ball "should" go based on the play, and he takes the read for granted. When he logically just calls a play and does his thing, that's when you see the offense flow.

This doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out and that's why this coaching staff is really starting to tick me off.

57 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

They haven't been able to run the ball in 2 seasons,  This is a disturbing trend that has started since Koetter took over as head coach.  It has to change quickly. 

I feel like its a personnel issue more so than play-calling. Donovan Smith was highly thought of as a guy who can maul but his technique is sloppy week in and week out. Sometimes he can show his brute power and win but its few and far between. Then the guy next to him doesn't really do his job well either as a run blocker. Its kind of hard when you have only onside that can straight up move guys around. Marpet-Sweezy-Dotson have been good all year run blocking its just the left side that sucks. Teams know that too so they cheat on that side. Pamphile is good at pass blocking but a below average run blocker. EDS is a better run blocker than Pamphile, slightly lessor in pass block though. This puts more pressure on Winston to move the offense and manage the game because he literally has to do everything. Koetter needs to adapt to a short passing games to help riddle the run game issue.

@indifference I want to discuss the run game and the structure of the pass game a little farther.   Essentially Hawley and Mankins has been replaced by Sweezy and LG combo (this rotation infuriates me but I'm just a fan).  I thought Hawley got pushed around a lot so I have no problem with him being replaced.  IIRC, I thought they pulled their guards a lot more especially with Mankin then I do now.  Also, I see a lot of predictability based upon personnel. They run a pitch play if we re lucky it will only lose 2 yards.   Basically,  if Martin isn't in the game, a great chance the ball is in the air.  Koetter will go heavy formation, but I can guarantee you they are throwing the ball extensively out of this formation.  

The passing game has slants, option routes for the slot WR, out cuts for theTEs, and the WR screen to the slot.  After that, I don't see a whole lot of bunch formations.  When was the last time this team ran any type of rub route like  when Ward got smoked by Thomas in Buffalo?  I'm still waiting for a shallow cross to DJAX when the other WRS are running verticals to give him space.  I'm just not seeing the diversity other then the typical run and shoot concepts.  Maybe I'm wrong.  

I look at what Todd Haley has done with the Steelers offense with envy.  They take plenty of shots.  However, there are plenty of rub concepts and basically pick plays that gives Ben a decent amount of easy throws per game.  I hope Koetter can adapt, but I'm getting very concerned. 

38 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

@indifference I want to discuss the run game and the structure of the pass game a little farther.   Essentially Hawley and Mankins has been replaced by Sweezy and LG combo (this rotation infuriates me but I'm just a fan).  I thought Hawley got pushed around a lot so I have no problem with him being replaced.  IIRC, I thought they pulled their guards a lot more especially with Mankin then I do now.  Also, I see a lot of predictability based upon personnel. They run a pitch play if we re lucky it will only lose 2 yards.   Basically,  if Martin isn't in the game, a great chance the ball is in the air.  Koetter will go heavy formation, but I can guarantee you they are throwing the ball extensively out of this formation.  

The passing game has slants, option routes for the slot WR, out cuts for theTEs, and the WR screen to the slot.  After that, I don't see a whole lot of bunch formations.  When was the last time this team ran any type of rub route like  when Ward got smoked by Thomas in Buffalo?  I'm still waiting for a shallow cross to DJAX when the other WRS are running verticals to give him space.  I'm just not seeing the diversity other then the typical run and shoot concepts.  Maybe I'm wrong.  

I look at what Todd Haley has done with the Steelers offense with envy.  They take plenty of shots.  However, there are plenty of rub concepts and basically pick plays that gives Ben a decent amount of easy throws per game.  I hope Koetter can adapt, but I'm getting very concerned. 

I've seen a rub route against the Cardinals but they were all over it. Play was intended for D-Jack but the Cardinals were well prepared for it. One of those earlier drives on third and short and we went 5 wide when Winston was in the game. I think DK needs to move Evans more around though instead of keeping outside all the time. Move DJ around, move Mike in the slot sometimes, and we'll see more success in the pass game.

I agree with you that the run game is predictable. We almost run on first down and play action on second every drive no matter how many yards we get on first down. I honestly wouldn't be mad if we decide to run the ball twice back to back even after a no gain attempt on first. The predictability is what's killing us and its not letting Winston be effective off PA. That and we simply can't run the football so teams aren't even stacking the box most of the time. Koetter must think we have this dominant Cowboys OL where we can line up with our personnel and shove it down their throat. And he learns the hard way every Sunday that we don't. Until we make changes at LT and LG I don't see ever being a good unit.

I hope that we don't see any injuries for our teams and obv from a Saints fan perspective, a Saints win.  I do hope you guys start picking it up and playing to the level that I expected the Bucs to play at, being the 2nd in NFC South with Winston picking it up.

14 hours ago, ravishingone said:

They haven't been able to run the ball in 2 seasons,  This is a disturbing trend that has started since Koetter took over as head coach.  It has to change quickly. 

IDK if I can put that on Dirk.

So many times I have seen our backs get blown tf up as soon as they try to cross the line of scrimmage

Another one of those things where the coaches can coach till they're blue in the face, but they can't go out on the field and block/play for them

Archived