2022 Offseason Thread

Emerica

Wayyyy to early to start an offseason thread but didn't know where to post this.

I'll be honest I was pretty surprised when I saw those numbers but we do have a few big names to potentially re-sign: Gesicki, Ogbah, Needham and Hollins.

Saints at $-61M. Yikes. Maybe we can coup one of their OL who is due for a payday? Erik McCoy maybe? Terron Armstead probably going to hit the market

Edited by Emerica

Resign Gesicki is top priority. Obtain a veteran RT and another seasoned OLman. Try to resign Ogbah but don’t go overboard. There’s some very good prospects in the draft to replace him. I wouldn’t be adverse to another dangerous WR in R1. Fuller won’t be back. Wilson might not be back and Parker has not much time left here. A Gesicki, Waddle, Burke receiving trio could be scary.

Edited by Tetsujin

Back in November I projected Armstead to us in my Mock Off Season thread.  Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move for Dallas OG Connor Williams (who should have a market around $9-$10 Mil per year).

I'm starting to cool on bringing back Gesicki.  He can certainly play as a Receiver but doesn't fit well into our overall scheme as a TE.  He's an uncapable blocker whether in line or split out wide and Tua doesn't use him enough in the passing game to warrant the type of money he will demand.  I'd be glad to have him back on a team friendly deal but I don't think that's likely.

I think with all this Cap and draft capitol, the biggest and boldest move we could make is a play for Aaron Rogers.  I know we aren't his top preferred destination, but Ross could easily change that by signing 2022 FA Devante Adams, a new big contract and a few promises (like who do you want as your OC Aaron?).  Aaron has another season under contract in GB but the ball is in his court.  Once he tells them they have "No Chance" of him returning to GB after 2022 they will move him, for a 2023 first round pick, to a team outside their conference (it would also allow GB to clear $27 Mil in Cap). 

I like Tua, but he's never going to be Rogers.

Edited by Swampbilly

14 hours ago, FinSting said:

Any potential QB change is so laughably dumb that it's actually laughably dumb. But thanks for playing. 

Well, let's talk about it.  What makes you say that?  I really like Tua, and I was an advocate for us drafting him (without trading up).  That being said, any time a team has the opportunity to upgrade they should seriously explore that opportunity, and there's no bigger upgrade than a QB upgrade.  Can we win football games with Tua?  Yes, we can.  Can we win the AFC East and make a serious play towards the Super Bowl with Rogers?  IMO, Yes, we can.

Is it likely we make a play for Aaron Rogers?  Nope, but should we?  IMO, Yes, we should.  

Why do you believe it's "laughably dumb" to aim high and upgrade the most important position in all of professional sports?

Question from a Packer fan. I was interested in how three ex Packer personnel guys have done since leaving the organisation.

Reggie McKenzie was a long-time (18 years) Packers scout who was promoted up to Director of Player Personnel with them. He then went to the Raiders (Feb 2012) to be their GM and won exec of the year award with them. When Gruden came in to run the Raiders it was McKenzie's death warrant and he was dismissed in December 2018. The Dolphins picked him up in Feb 2019 as Senior Personnel Exec. I think he might have been the best of the three to leave the Packers to be a GM (see the other two below). My question to any Dolphins fans that have an opinion is: "How is he doing in the Dolphins organisation ?"

Other ex Packer personnel who became GMs elsewhere. 
John Shneider went to the Seahawks in 2010. He has had a good run there, but after a decent beginning he has not drafted very well. He may not survive past this year.
John Dorsey had 4 years as Chiefs GM (starting 2013) before being fired (his drafts were mostly decent). Then he had 2 years with the Browns before being fired. Since then he has been a consultant with the Eagles and now advises the Lions. He seemed always to rub those he works with the wrong way to such an extent that various organisations had to let him go.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Question from a Packer fan. I was interested in how three ex Packer personnel guys have done since leaving the organisation.

Reggie McKenzie was a long-time (18 years) Packers scout who was promoted up to Director of Player Personnel with them. He then went to the Raiders (Feb 2012) to be their GM and won exec of the year award with them. When Gruden came in to run the Raiders it was McKenzie's death warrant and he was dismissed in December 2018. The Dolphins picked him up in Feb 2019 as Senior Personnel Exec. I think he might have been the best of the three to leave the Packers to be a GM (see the other two below). My question to any Dolphins fans that have an opinion is: "How is he doing in the Dolphins organisation ?"

Other ex Packer personnel who became GMs elsewhere. 
John Shneider went to the Seahawks in 2010. He has had a good run there, but after a decent beginning he has not drafted very well. He may not survive past this year.
John Dorsey had 4 years as Chiefs GM (starting 2013) before being fired (his drafts were mostly decent). Then he had 2 years with the Browns before being fired. Since then he has been a consultant with the Eagles and now advises the Lions. He seemed always to rub those he works with the wrong way to such an extent that various organisations had to let him go.

Hard to say, without being in the building, what personnel moves came at the recommendation of McKenzie and what didn’t.  There really isn’t any honest way of knowing from outside the organization IMO. 

As for Dorsey, he seems extremely full of himself.  I’m sure a lot of people have found him abrasive.

Edited by Swampbilly

Some potential OL targets (other than the obvious bigger names in FA):

Via Free Agency

James Daniels (CHI) - RG

Connor Williams (DAL) - LG

Orlando Brown (KC) - LT

Austin Corbett (LAR) - RG

Will Hernandez (NYG) - RG

Alex Cappa (TB) - RG

Brian Allen (LAR) - C

Bradley Bozeman (BAL) - C

Laken Tomlinson (SF) - LG

Via Trade

Erik McCoy (NO) - C

Taylor Decker (DET) - LT

Elgton Jenkins (GB) - LG/LT

Mike McGlinchey (SF) - RT

23 hours ago, Emerica said:

Some potential OL targets (other than the obvious bigger names in FA):

Via Free Agency

James Daniels (CHI) - RG

Connor Williams (DAL) - LG

Orlando Brown (KC) - LT

Austin Corbett (LAR) - RG

Will Hernandez (NYG) - RG

Alex Cappa (TB) - RG

Brian Allen (LAR) - C

Bradley Bozeman (BAL) - C

Laken Tomlinson (SF) - LG

Via Trade

Erik McCoy (NO) - C

Taylor Decker (DET) - LT

Elgton Jenkins (GB) - LG/LT

Mike McGlinchey (SF) - RT

The offensive line has to be fixed. It is absolutely awful. I don't understand how it took a step backwards from last year. Again I blame coaching more than anything. I would not mind adding 1 or 2 quality free agents either. Our line somehow manages to hold without even touching the defender as he blows by to sack our Qb. That is the worst of both worlds. Perhaps the next trick will be for our line to just sack Tua themselves. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

The offensive line has to be fixed. It is absolutely awful. I don't understand how it took a step backwards from last year. Again I blame coaching more than anything. I would not mind adding 1 or 2 quality free agents either. Our line somehow manages to hold without even touching the defender as he blows by to sack our Qb. That is the worst of both worlds. Perhaps the next trick will be for our line to just sack Tua themselves. 

Agreed and I have little to no faith in this team’s ability to develop OLineman. Its one thing to get talented guys in the building, it’s another to grow them into NFL players. 

I want us to get some guys that have had proven success in the league, we have the cap and draft capital to do it. Enough with the patch work on the OL.

Ideal scenario would be to acquire starting LT via trade or FA and draft Linderbaum/Green/Ekwonu as building blocks. Not sure you can turn around an OL in one offseason but stranger things have happened

Edited by Emerica