How are those Rookies Doing? Mid-Season Edition

Chiefer

Kevin King - C (starting, but hasn't been playing well recently)
Josh Jones - C (Had a few really nice plays, but otherwise he hasn't been great)
Montravious Adams - TBD
Vince Biegel - TBD
Jamal Williams - D-
Deangelo Yancey - F
Aaron Jones - A
Kofi Amichia - D
Devante Mays - D
Malachi Dupre - F

For the Steelers:

1. T.J. Watt has been great at OLB.  As one of the players or coaches said "He's the most NFL-ready rookie I've ever seen."  Has 4 sacks and an INT.  Been getting good pressure and is doing well in coverage.  His run D needs some work but he's had his moments.  All in all, very impressed with him and am looking forward to a bright, bright future.

Grade: A

2. JuJu Smith-Schuster is coming along nicely at WR.  Was just AFC player of the week; had a huge game against DET.  Has over 400 yards and 4 TDs so far.  Showing versatility and playmaking ability as well as some good blocking.  Very excited to see him develop as a #2 behind Antonio Brown.  He's becoming a fan favorite.

3.   Cameron Sutton has been on the IR all year.  He was just activated to start practicing.  Looked good at times in TC.  Hopefully will a get a chance at PR.

Grade: Incomplete

4. James Conner has looked fairly good with limited chances.  Tomlin doesn't believe in giving the backup RB many touches.  In fact Conner has seen 3rd string RB Terrell Watson taking short yardage opportunities.  Strong N-S runner who looks the part.  

Grade: C+

5. Joshua Dobbs has been inactive every game.  Looked dynamic at times in preseason and an experienced rookie at other times.  Still nowhere near as polished as Landry Jones.  (I know)  Could be a good backup QB or possibly more.  Don't have enough info yet.

Grade:  C+

6. Brian Allen is an exciting height, weight, speed CB prospect.  He made the team, so for that, many are happy.  He's been inactive some but has played some ST somewhat decently.  Nothing too special so far other than the coaches seem to like him.  Hoping for steady growth.

Grade: B-

7. Colin Holba was drafted to be a Long Snapper.  (Yes you read that right)  Didn't make the team.  Was beaten out by Kameron Canaday.

Grade: F

8.  Keion Adams is an OLB prospect who has flashed some talent.  I believe he was put on the IR before the season started.  (shoulder?)  Anyway, nothing much here as of yet.

Grade: Incomplete

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Deatrich Wise Jr. has got a lot of playing time and has been a solid player. Nothing special and struggles against the run, but you can do worse for a rookie pass rusher. No other rookie has seen the field. 

Adam Butler has been the Pats best rookie 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Aaron Jones - Mentioned it earlier, but he's our starting RB at this point in time.  IF not for Kareem Hunt, we'd be talking about him as a potential OROY candidate.
Grade: A+

I think DeShaun Watson and Leonard Fournette might disagree.

Myles Garrett - Has barely played due to injury, but has looked great in the small amount of playing time he has had. Has four sacks in three games.

Grade: B+ Likely would be an A if he'd been healthy all year.

Jabrill Peppers - Hasn't made much of an impact, but a lot of us Browns fans are unhappy with how he's being utilized. Williams is having him play very deep, when he'd likely be much better closer to the LOS. Has missed the past two games due to injury.

Grade: C

David Njoku - Definitely shows a lot of flashes and we can see that he's an athletic freak. He's been hampered by poor QB play though. I think we're all excited about his potential as Browns fans.

Grade: B-

DeShone Kizer - You can see the talent this kid has, but he clearly isn't ready. Makes far too many mental mistakes. Gets no help from his receivers though, who can't get any separation or catch the ball.

Grade: C-

Larry Ogunjobi - Doesn't get a ton of playing time but is fairly impressive when he is on the field. Another player selected who we're hoping pays dividends more so in the future rather than right away.

Grade: B

Howard Wilson - Injured

Grade: INC

Roderick Johnson - Injured

Grade: INC

Caleb Brantley - Many thought he was a huge steal so late in the draft, and he's already proving to be talented. Could possibly be a future starter, but at the very least should be a very good backup.

Grade: B+

Zane Gonzales - Has missed way too many kicks. A lot of them fairly easy ones too. Sucks too cause I had high hopes for him to finally give us a truly good kicker since Phil Dawson.

Grade: F

Matt Dayes - Has done well on ST, but hasn't really gotten any chances to carry the ball. Looks like he could be a dangerous return man, though. For a seventh-round pick, I can't complain.

Jags:

Leonard Fournette: been better then Advertised as a pass catcher and has single-handily improved our rush offense. A+ only better choice could be something like Watson but then we would need to add a back like Hunt or Jones later in draft. 

Cam Robinson: Looks like a Future Probowler at LT. A+. 

Dawuane Smoot: Looks like a run stopping DE. hes rotational worthy but i think id rather have Lawson. (C)

Dede Westbrook: been on IR and was just designated as a return from IR guy and should be something watch. he did look good in preseason(INC)

Blair Brown: inactive first few weeks. primarily a STer. could be a possible starter but just depth.

Jalen Myrick: has played a total of 5 snaps which were on Special teams. he didnt look good in Preseason

Marquez Williams: looked good in preseason and we thought he could/should make it but was Waived/Injured and now was cut off IR(F)

UDFA:

Keelan Cole: Looks like a Find. he seems to be a big play threat but he has some medicore hands.  seemed to be ahead of Dede on the preseason depth chart. 

Donald Payne: Primarily just a STer. i kinda want to see how he does at Lber as he was a collegiate safety.  was a waiver claim rookie

Eli Anoku: been our backup NT and hasnt been bad but hasnt been great. hes played like 30% of the defensive snaps.  not bad for a waiver claim rookie. 

Tre'Davious White (CB) - Arguably our best defender so far this season. Having a phenomenal season so far (A+)

Zay Jones (WR) - Has had some drops and hasn't been as good as advertised so far. Confidence may be a factor so far. (C-)

Dion Dawkins (OL) - Playing a swing role due to injuries on the line. Primarily the main rotational guy but has looked OK (B)

Matt Milano (LB) - Step upped for injured Ramon Humber and has created a nice positional battle. Great Special teams player so far with a knack for big plays. Future starter "lunch bucket" guy Sean McDermott loves at LB. Excellent pickk (B+)

Nathan Peterman (QB) - Up and down preseason who won't see any action in 2017 (Inc)

You pretty much already covered it in the OP, @Chiefer, but yeah, Kareem Hunt is an absolute beast and maybe the best pick in the draft AFAIK, but beyond that, our draft grade is a big N/A right now. A handful of guys not seeing playing time that we didn't really expect to see playing time anyways. We knew if Mahomes was starting now that it meant bad things for Smith and the season. Kpass was raw all over and we knew that when we took him. Same with Eligwe. Chesson is the only guy who maybe should be contributing that isn't, but Hill, Wilson, and Robinson have all performed well enough we haven't really needed him on offense. He's looking excellent as a gunner though, so that counts for something.

31 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Tre'Davious White (CB) - Arguably our best defender so far this season. Having a phenomenal season so far (A+)

Zay Jones (WR) - Has had some drops and hasn't been as good as advertised so far. Confidence may be a factor so far. (C-)

Dion Dawkins (OL) - Playing a swing role due to injuries on the line. Primarily the main rotational guy but has looked OK (B)

Matt Milano (LB) - Step upped for injured Ramon Humber and has created a nice positional battle. Great Special teams player so far with a knack for big plays. Future starter "lunch bucket" guy Sean McDermott loves at LB. Excellent pickk (B+)

Nathan Peterman (QB) - Up and down preseason who won't see any action in 2017 (Inc)

Lol one more pick and you would of been good... Tanner Vallejo isn't happy you forgot about him.

I'd change Milano to A- considering the impact we got from where he was drafted. And I'd change Zay to a D+... Really like the kid but he has had a horrid start. Seeing him turn the corner a bit and Benjamin will really take pressure off of him.

Marshon Lattimore - Amazing. I loved the pick on draft day (didn't think he would be there) and I love it even more now. He has played like an All-Pro and I hope he can keep it up.

Grade A+

Ryan Ramcyzk - He has had to play a lot of positions on the OLine, but I think he has been good so far and keeps improving. He should be the Saints RT of the future.

Grade A

Marcus Williams - He has missed a few tackles and has taken some bad angles, but overall has played his role very well.

Grade B-

Alvin Kamara - He is Sproles/Bush for the Saints. He is a better runner than I thought and compliments Ingram very well.

Grade A

Alex Anzalone - Before he got injured he looked like a good pick. He has the ability to cover and was making plays. Hopefully he can come back and stay healthy. 

Grade Incomplete (Would be a B if he stayed healthy)

Trey Hendrickson - Serviceable so far. He is rotating with a few players, so you can't really see everything he has to offer. Hopefully he keeps developing and can give us another threat off the edge. Solid pick.

Grade B-

Al-Quadin Muhammad - looked solid in the preseason. Haven't seen much in the regular season so far.

Grade C

Overall this was an excellent draft by the Saints. A lot of impactful rookies that have helped the team in a lot of ways. 

Archived