Last Chance U

ttitansfan4life

I have a pretty different opinion on Buddy than most it seems. I don't think most of those players amount to **** without him being hard on them. Sure there's a couple in each season that didn't take well to it, but it's clear that for a lot of them he's the first guy to really get in their face and teach them the reality of life: It's hard. No more getting babied just because you were more talented than everyone else growing up. Kind of a "you're all equally worthless" attitude that a drill sergeant would take.

And if you noticed the kids that understood authority and took their classes seriously and etc didn't get reamed(at least certainly not to the level of the trouble makers on the team). The players who back talk him every chance they get have been 99% of the time the players who also need Brittney to baby them in passing every class(having to pull strings with the professors, etc), because life isn't being handed to them on a silver platter, and they can't even manage to study for and pass some of the easiest classes you can take at a college.

Buddy's temper gets a little over the edge at times, but for the most part, it's been exactly what his players have needed, getting that kick in the rear that they've not had their entire lives.

3 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I have a pretty different opinion on Buddy than most it seems. I don't think most of those players amount to **** without him being hard on them. Sure there's a couple in each season that didn't take well to it, but it's clear that for a lot of them he's the first guy to really get in their face and teach them the reality of life: It's hard. No more getting babied just because you were more talented than everyone else growing up. Kind of a "you're all equally worthless" attitude that a drill sergeant would take.

And if you noticed the kids that understood authority and took their classes seriously and etc didn't get reamed(at least certainly not to the level of the trouble makers on the team). The players who back talk him every chance they get have been 99% of the time the players who also need Brittney to baby them in passing every class(having to pull strings with the professors, etc), because life isn't being handed to them on a silver platter, and they can't even manage to study for and pass some of the easiest classes you can take at a college.

Buddy's temper gets a little over the edge at times, but for the most part, it's been exactly what his players have needed, getting that kick in the rear that they've not had their entire lives.

This is a bad take. I think Davern is a much better example of what these players need. When the ONLY thing you do is yell, they'll start tuning you out. Davern actually seems to understand humans and realizes they'll react better to different types of coaching at different times. He didn't have to yell 100% of the time and that doesn't mean he was babying anyone. Plus, the way Buddy ******* at his coaches is lame as hell. Only Saban can get away with that.

EDIT: I forgot to mention another reason I don't like Buddy is that he dishes it out but can't take it. The way he whined and cried about Chauncey's mom at that one game was pretty pathetic

Edited by ninerfanwheelz

I just get the sense that Buddy doesn't give a **** about the kids.  Yes, the goal is for them to win and get out at a better program, but they need to change as people as well so they don't end up blowing their second chances.  I feel like Brittany played such a more important role in making sure that didn't happen than Buddy did.  

As stubborn as Isaiah was, he had such a tough upbringing and Buddy made absolutely no effort to change how he approached him.  Isaiah said it himself, he's had so many adults let him down or use him over the course of his life, he immediately saw through Buddy's BS and knew Buddy didn't give a crap about him.  

I read an interview with Brittany that at the time of filming her and Buddy hadn't talked in over a year.  Good on her for getting out of there on her own terms. 

Edited by flyers0909

On 7/27/2017 at 5:03 AM, ninerfanwheelz said:

This is a bad take. I think Davern is a much better example of what these players need. When the ONLY thing you do is yell, they'll start tuning you out. Davern actually seems to understand humans and realizes they'll react better to different types of coaching at different times. He didn't have to yell 100% of the time and that doesn't mean he was babying anyone. Plus, the way Buddy ******* at his coaches is lame as hell. Only Saban can get away with that.

EDIT: I forgot to mention another reason I don't like Buddy is that he dishes it out but can't take it. The way he whined and cried about Chauncey's mom at that one game was pretty pathetic

I agree with most of this.  Although he seemed to take a bigger interest in Kam and treated him quite well.  But Buddy was a complete jerk off to Isaiah Wright(not that he didnt deserve it with some of the fits he threw).  I actually like Buddy as a coach, but Davern as a person.  The reason a lot of these kids are at that school are because they didnt have a coach like Buddy to get after them for stupid stuff.  There are times you want to punch the guy and others that I have no issue with what he says(kicking Chauncey's mom out was a tool move).  

I just hate how a lot of it focuses on him trying to change for the better, but he is the exact same guy through every episode.  I would like to see them rotate around to different JUCO's just to get a comparison of coaches/players/programs etc.

14 minutes ago, daineraider said:

I like the series.  Season one had DJ Law, who was committed to Utah, but couldnt get qualified.  And now has since been dismissed/academically ineligible at UAB.  I hope they keep the series going or/and at some point switch to a different JUCO.

I watched two episodes then looked up where people ended up and almost everyone one I looked up didn't make it or was kicked off the team. 

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

I watched two episodes then looked up where people ended up and almost everyone one I looked up didn't make it or was kicked off the team. 

Season 2 had better offers for the players.  Several ended up getting D1/P5 offers.  Some had really good offers and ended up at small programs for personal reasons.

Season 1 is definitely way better, but S2 is still very entertaining.

Buddy cost himself 2 national championships, and I dont have an ounce of sympathy for him. Yes some of these kids throw tantrums, and need a strong hand, but when all he does is throw tantrums himself, and cant take an ounce of criticism, why should those kids respect him? And you can see it by the way Brittany Wagner talks about him. He is a man-child who thinks his *hit dont stink.

I am not going to get into anyone and their religious beliefs (and how genuine they are), but when it comes to his actions, all he did was replace his cursing with other less edited for TV words/phrases, but in the end he is still doing the EXACT same thing.He treats his coaches like garbage, he doesnt look to make the lives of most of his players any better, just make sure they win JUCO football games.

Unless Netflix has EMCC under contract for another year, I would be surprised if they are back in Scuba if we get a Season 3. The most emotionally invested character is gone (B.Wagner), the one major story from S1 to S2 is gone (Wright) and most of the Coaching staff we actually liked is gone. Plus Im not sure they even got the level of JuCo recruit they had this year.

28 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Season 1 is definitely way better, but S2 is still very entertaining.

Buddy cost himself 2 national championships, and I dont have an ounce of sympathy for him. Yes some of these kids throw tantrums, and need a strong hand, but when all he does is throw tantrums himself, and cant take an ounce of criticism, why should those kids respect him? And you can see it by the way Brittany Wagner talks about him. He is a man-child who thinks his *hit dont stink.

I am not going to get into anyone and their religious beliefs (and how genuine they are), but when it comes to his actions, all he did was replace his cursing with other less edited for TV words/phrases, but in the end he is still doing the EXACT same thing.He treats his coaches like garbage, he doesnt look to make the lives of most of his players any better, just make sure they win JUCO football games.

Unless Netflix has EMCC under contract for another year, I would be surprised if they are back in Scuba if we get a Season 3. The most emotionally invested character is gone (B.Wagner), the one major story from S1 to S2 is gone (Wright) and most of the Coaching staff we actually liked is gone. Plus Im not sure they even got the level of JuCo recruit they had this year.

They are going to Independence CC in Kansas for Season 3.  Excited for new territory and they have a few P5 recruits there for this season.

• 11 months later...

Just saw season 3 on NF the new coach JB is like Buddy on steroids and why does he think he needs to be  3 deep at rb with only div 1 transfers doesn't he understand these kids only want to be here only one season and need to play so they can move on. He really should have paid more attention at  QB the backup he had was simply overwhelmed and they finally used the third string kid to barely win that final game. 

Saddest story of this new season was Bobby Bruce. You just knew he didn't get it and was going to fall right back into a bad place once the season was over - and that's exactly what happened.

I also can't get over the fact that he's somehow supposed to be a D1 linebacker but looks like he weighs about 165 lbs? He's tiny, man. Those kids don't hold a candle next to the dudes at East Mississippi. Even their DT's look small.

But this new season was definitely entertaining, that's for sure. Malik Henry just has that classic feel of someone who is being controlled by his dad and has no desire to play football. Kid is weak mentally and physically and it showed all season long. Lastly, I'm not sure how the heck Kingston got to UAB after he was kicked off the team.