Rams Vikings

Flounch

19 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I expect we all agree that Stafford is better than Goff. The discussion was about being disappointed that he's also subject to becoming a streaky turnover machine at any moment. But we knew we weren't getting Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady or Russell Wilson when we made the trade. You just have to take the bad with the good.

The thing in regard to turnovers is Brady has become a turnover machine too. The Bucs thought they would be getting a QB who took care of that football great bc of how little he turned the ball over in New England. He comes to Tampa and has turned the ball over a lot too. The reason is similar to Stafford. Both McVay and Arians want to push the ball down the field often and throw a ton thus turnovers will happen. We saw Brady in the NFCCG have 3 ints against the Packers but was bailed out bc the defense played well enough while Brady also made some plays too that helped the Bucs overcome and win. That’s what Stafford can do. He might make mistakes but he will also make some plays and I think the defense can play well enough in a game in the playoffs if Stafford doesn’t play a clean game and the Rams can still win. Now Stafford can’t have multiple games like that in the playoffs but one game like that the Rams can still overcome and win just like they just did against the Vikings and obviously what the Bucs did against the Packers in the NFCCG last season.

4 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The thing in regard to turnovers is Brady has become a turnover machine too. The Bucs thought they would be getting a QB who took care of that football great bc of how little he turned the ball over in New England. He comes to Tampa and has turned the ball over a lot too. The reason is similar to Stafford. Both McVay and Arians want to push the ball down the field often and throw a ton thus turnovers will happen. We saw Brady in the NFCCG have 3 ints against the Packers but was bailed out bc the defense played well enough while Brady also made some plays too that helped the Bucs overcome and win. That’s what Stafford can do. He might make mistakes but he will also make some plays and I think the defense can play well enough in a game in the playoffs if Stafford doesn’t play a clean game and the Rams can still win. Now Stafford can’t have multiple games like that in the playoffs but one game like that the Rams can still overcome and win just like they just did against the Vikings and obviously what the Bucs did against the Packers in the NFCCG last season.

Tom Brady has an INT% of 1.9% in TB. Matt Stafford has an INT% of 2.4% in LA. But it's much easier to give Brady the benefit of the doubt because of the guy you're getting in the playoffs. Matt Stafford hasn't proven to be that guy yet. And since we're talking about the NFCCG, the INTs weren't great, but Brady didn't throw a single INT until he had already led the Bucs to a 28-10 lead.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I think the comparison with Goff is he was the anchor holding the team down last year. I've felt this year that on 3-5 games that Stafford was the worst player on the team. Largely due to turnovers. 

Last year I had no confidence in the passing game at the end of the year. I still believe in the passing game this year because there is moments of absolute excellence. But I do find it hard to believe he is going to be able to play 4 consecutive playoff games at a winning level. I just hope if/when he has a stinker in the playoffs that the rest of the team can overcome it. 

As I just mentioned Stafford doesn’t have to play 4 consecutive games at a winning level. Brady didn’t do so last season in the playoffs. He wasn’t great against the Saints in the divisional round. The Saints was up 20-10 then Brees threw 3ints and Cook fumbled so the Saints turned the ball over 4x and Brady capitalized on them to comeback and win. In the NFCCG Brady threw 3ints but he did enough in that game so did the defense to overcome and even worse performance than the previous game against the Saints to win. So you can say Brady had two winning level games last season and neither was consecutive. One was the wildcard round and the other was when it counted the most in the Superbowl. 

In general all Stafford has to do is limit the turnovers and make the plays when the Rams have to have them in key spots. The rest is going to be on the team. The running game need to be good, the receivers need to not drop the ball, the defense need to make plays, and special teams need to make an impact. If that happens the Rams will be fine imo. 

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Tom Brady has an INT% of 1.9% in TB. Matt Stafford has an INT% of 2.4% in LA. But it's much easier to give Brady the benefit of the doubt because of the guy you're getting in the playoffs. Matt Stafford hasn't proven to be that guy yet. And since we're talking about the NFCCG, the INTs weren't great, but Brady didn't throw a single INT until he had already led the Bucs to a 28-10 lead.

I get what your saying about Brady. I agree it’s easy to give the benefit of the doubt with Brady than Stafford but I’m just using in context of Brady wasn’t turning the ball over like he is his first two seasons with the Bucs during his last three seasons with the Pats. He has 23ints with the Bucs with 2 games to go this season. His final three seasons with the Pats he had 27ints. 

As for that NFCCG yes Brady started turning the ball over once the Bucs was up 28-10 and to me that’s even worse. The objective is to not turn the ball over up big so you won’t allow the opponent to get back in the game and he did so as a result the Packers did get back in the game and had a play or two been different on offense for the Packers in the redzone late in the 4th maybe all those turnovers Brady threw would’ve cost the Bucs the game. Then we would be killing Brady for single handedly losing that game. 

On 12/29/2021 at 4:00 AM, stl4life07 said:

I think you are giving Cousins and the Vikings way to much credit saying if Powell didnt score that td the Rams lose. I think that punt return td was scored in the 3rd quarter so the Vikings still had plenty of time to come back in the game. The Rams had complete control of that game regardless of that punt return for the td bc outside of that one td off a Stafford int, the Vikings couldnt do anything with those other two forced takeaways. 

What Sunday's game showed me is that now the Rams as a team can win games where Stafford isnt playing his best. Thats the one thing I came into the season thinking that this offense has to be special bc the defense would take a step back losing Staley, Johnson III, Brockers, and other pieces that help them be the best defense in the league last season. Early in the season the offense was clicking on all cylinders but then it hit a wall and the defense wasnt picking up the slack so the Rams went on a 3 game losing streak. Now the Rams are on a 4 game winning streak due to them playing team football. When one unit is struggling the other units are picking up the slack. Thats the sign on a great football team. Its been 17yrs since the Rams won a road football game where they turned the ball over 3 times. 

Im not going to even compare Stafford and Goff like you are saying. They arent the same. Its the first time since 2018 that Stafford has had a 3 int game. Plus what you and others conveniently dont mention is when the Rams "HAVE TO HAVE IT" we see Stafford delivers. When the Vikings cut the lead down to 7pts, what did Stafford do? He led the team down the field on a time consuming drive that ended with a FG to bring the lead up to 10pts which all but sealed the game. Not to mention Stafford led the Rams down the field and threw that td pass to OBJ to push the Rams lead to 14pts. So yes Stafford makes some mistakes but he has shown this season when the Rams "HAVE TO HAVE IT" he delivers and thats a reflection on him being literally the best QB in the NFL in the 4th quarter. Dont believe me go check the stats. He hasnt turned the ball over in the 4th all season long and he legit makes it difficult for any team to come back and win if the Rams have any type of lead in the 4th quarter no matter if that team is going on a bit of a run late to try for a comeback. Stafford will always respond leading the team to match score or at the very least lead a time consuming drive that ends in points.

Last point is, the Rams are setup for success in the playoffs. Why? They are stopping the run and they are running the football. I saw on social media someone pointed out that since November when people were calling the Rams "soft" they has owned the line of scrimmage. They are stopping the run, getting great pass rush, protecting Stafford well in the passing game, and opening up holes in the running game. Thats the formula for winning the Superbowl. Im not worried about Stafford at all bc Id rather for him to make these mistakes in the regular season than in the postseason. Not to mention the Rams lead the NFL in yards per play. They are averaging just over 6yds per play. I dont want Stafford to stop being aggressive. He can play smarter but continue to push the ball down the field. Yes it might lead to an int bc deep balls are low percentage plays but it stresses the defense and when connected it flips field position at worst. At best it puts quick points on the board which will be demoralizing to the opposing team.  So Im excited to see how this Rams team will do the rest of the way. 

Until the punt return TD, the Rams lose the momentum. They got a 13-3 lead and after 2 INT back to back, they scored a TD. Then it was a 3&out and another punt. We stopped the defense after but there was no confidence in this offense. It was only after the punt return TD taht Stafford start to play good enough to make a larger lead but without the punt TD, he was losing his confidence.

I hope we play all the game with a lead because if we are behind, it's over. I can't see us win with a comeback and that's an issue for me. 

I don't think the defense is good enough to stop an offense when we are not leading and i don't trust Stafford to overcome a larger deficit. 

2 hours ago, Flounch said:

Until the punt return TD, the Rams lose the momentum. They got a 13-3 lead and after 2 INT back to back, they scored a TD. Then it was a 3&out and another punt. We stopped the defense after but there was no confidence in this offense. It was only after the punt return TD taht Stafford start to play good enough to make a larger lead but without the punt TD, he was losing his confidence.

I hope we play all the game with a lead because if we are behind, it's over. I can't see us win with a comeback and that's an issue for me. 

I don't think the defense is good enough to stop an offense when we are not leading and i don't trust Stafford to overcome a larger deficit. 

How do you know Stafford was losing confidence? Plus you talk about comebacks, doesn’t Stafford lead the league in 4th/OT comebacks since he came into the league? Yes. As a matter of fact, let me hit you with the "did you know" fact. Did you know that Stafford is the best QB in the NFL in the 4th quarter this season? He has the best QB Rating among qualified QBs with 123.5, he has the second best completion percentage to only Tua with 70.9% and he has thrown 10tds to no ints. So he literally play mistake free football in the money quarter that is the 4th quarter. So  you don’t trust in Stafford but Stafford have confidence in himself and so does the team. You must got him confused with Baker. 

What it boils down to is the Rams won a game where Stafford played terrible. Imo that’s another box that was checked off this year bc people wanted to see if the Rams can win when Stafford is having a bad game. Up to this point we haven’t seen that. To me that’s the sign of a good team when one of your best players aren’t playing their best and the team can still win. This team is coming together at the right time and it’s not a coincidence the playoffs are literally right around the corner.  This is exactly what I wanted to see is the Rams as a team playing well and winning not just relying on one side of the ball or one player to play well in order for the team to win. Plus the Rams dealt with adversity well so the confidence is extremely high in the locker room that they can win no matter who is out there or the situation. That will bode well for them in playoffs. 

Edited by stl4life07

16 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

How do you know Stafford was losing confidence? Plus you talk about comebacks, doesn’t Stafford lead the league in 4th/OT comebacks since he came into the league? Yes. As a matter of fact, let me hit you with the "did you know" fact. Did you know that Stafford is the best QB in the NFL in the 4th quarter this season? He has the best QB Rating among qualified QBs with 123.5, he has the second best completion percentage to only Tua with 70.9% and he has thrown 10tds to no ints. So he literally play mistake free football in the money quarter that is the 4th quarter. So  you don’t trust in Stafford but Stafford have confidence in himself and so does the team. You must got him confused with Baker. 

What it boils down to is the Rams won a game where Stafford played terrible. Imo that’s another box that was checked off this year bc people wanted to see if the Rams can win when Stafford is having a bad game. Up to this point we haven’t seen that. To me that’s the sign of a good team when one of your best players aren’t playing their best and the team can still win. This team is coming together at the right time and it’s not a coincidence the playoffs are literally right around the corner.  This is exactly what I wanted to see is the Rams as a team playing well and winning not just relying on one side of the ball or one player to play well in order for the team to win. Plus the Rams dealt with adversity well so the confidence is extremely high in the locker room that they can win no matter who is out there or the situation. That will bode well for them in playoffs. 

I keep hearing that he's the king of comeback in the NFL...but how many comeback and what was the deficit of the comeback ? I mean, if it's 3 pts in the 4th quarter it's not realy a comeback....i mean a comeback should be at least 7 pts deficit to be a true comeback.

And I don't care about him being the best in the 4th quarter....he can be the best in the 4th quarter and we still lose the game. 

On our 4 losses in the season, he didn't make any comeback at all. And on the 11 wins, we lead at half time so....there's no proof of anything...

He still didn't show us he can make a huge comeback win this season. 

1 hour ago, Flounch said:

I keep hearing that he's the king of comeback in the NFL...but how many comeback and what was the deficit of the comeback ? I mean, if it's 3 pts in the 4th quarter it's not realy a comeback....i mean a comeback should be at least 7 pts deficit to be a true comeback.

And I don't care about him being the best in the 4th quarter....he can be the best in the 4th quarter and we still lose the game. 

On our 4 losses in the season, he didn't make any comeback at all. And on the 11 wins, we lead at half time so....there's no proof of anything...

He still didn't show us he can make a huge comeback win this season. 

Id like to say Stafford had some big deficits to overcome playing for Detroit all those years but I think he has (34) 4th/OT comebacks since he got into the league. I dont care how big or small the comeback was thats alot thus its nothing to gloss over.

I do care about him being the best in the 4th quarter. Why? Bc how many QBs you see melt down in the 4th regardless if the team is winning or losing. We saw Dak weeks ago while having a 2 td lead against Washington on the road late in the 4th quarter throw a pick 6 that gave Washington a legit chance to still tie and possibly win the game. Its vital that the QB play great football in the 4th quarter so the team can have a great chance to win.