Week 17 : Team without a Name but probably still contagious vs Eagles Rd 2

Nabbs4u

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I like Ron as a HC. He’s the best fit for that position since Shanahan. Maybe he needs some new blood for coordinators. But I think he’s a strong leader type guy. Survived cancer. Tough dude. Good for a locker room id assume. I mean, Wash needs a QB first off. You can blame a HC for anything but he’s a stand up dude. I don’t think you can go wrong. Hiring his OC and DC maybe need evaluations. 

Ron's bread and butter is defense, and yet even with all the talent that Washington Defense has, it's giving up 27.1 PPG (30th). Their offense which has FAR less talent and a nobody at QB, is still outperforming them at something like 23rd ranked. 

The only real reason I can see them holding onto Rivera is because there aren't any QBs worth taking to start a new regime under in this upcoming draft so they're waiting for complete turnover until after next season.

37 minutes ago, Danger said:

Yes but. It all starts with the HC. It's not like just one of your complimentary pieces. Poor foundation makes building on top of it a big waste of time.

Could be true. A good QB might go further than replacing Rivera. Replacing JDR might go further than replacing Rivera. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Ron's bread and butter is defense, and yet even with all the talent that Washington Defense has, it's giving up 27.1 PPG (30th). Their offense which has FAR less talent and a nobody at QB, is still outperforming them at something like 23rd ranked. 

Ya but that day to day preparation isn't really Ron's job. Ron's basically in charge of everything so he's in charge of big picture stuff. I know what you're going to say, if he's in charge then the blame ultimately stops with him, and I agree but his failure isn't from a lack of scheming or gameplanning its a failure in hiring the wrong support staff. 

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Could be true. A good QB might go further than replacing Rivera. Replacing JDR might go further than replacing Rivera. 

I mean, wouldn't that just make Rivera a figurehead? One that's not really doing anything? The right move would be to fire Rivera, he had a losing record last year (yes your team was the tallest midget) and they've only got worse this year.

They should fire Rivera, but I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him another year.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

I mean, wouldn't that just make Rivera a figurehead? One that's not really doing anything? The right move would be to fire Rivera, he had a losing record last year (yes your team was the tallest midget) and they've only got worse this year.

They should fire Rivera, but I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him another year.

I don't agree at all.  When he took over it was a multi-year rebuild that needed a complete overhaul, not just of the roster but of the whole organization.  You can't fix that in two seasons.  Also I like where the roster is heading, we've assembled some good pieces. Teams that continually blow everything up every few years never get anywhere. 

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

Depends on scenarios. Is the team playing hard? Motivated? It's not a "lost the locker room" situation. I'd argue to give him another year definitely, especially with his 2 years being these awkward COVID years. I don't think the biggest issues are him, but that's my opinion. It is his job to find out how to fix them though. If he doesn't, and probably soon, then yeah, it's time to go in a different direction.

I get it. I don't have a BB, or Sean McVay, or an excellent XO guy. But that's okay. My team truly needs something else right now before we can be good, and I think it's a Rivera type. He's just gotta fix it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't agree at all.  When he took over it was a multi-year rebuild that needed a complete overhaul, not just of the roster but of the whole organizationYou can't fix that in two seasons.  Also I like where the roster is heading, we've assembled some good pieces. Teams that continually blow everything up every few years never get anywhere. 

Unfortunately he was thrust into a situation left my Club Jay and Bruce Allen that was more than X's and O's. We have a lot to fix. A lot. 2 COVID seasons isn't enough. 

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Unfortunately he was thrust into a situation left my Club Jay and Bruce Allen that was more than X's and O's. We have a lot to fix. A lot. 2 COVID seasons isn't enough. 

One thing Eagles fans don't understand because they don't have to deal with it is, we have the worst owner in professional sports.  There's only 3 times in the two decades of owning the team that Snyder has given up control of the team to the actual football people.  1) Joe Gibbs return, 2) the beginning of the Shanahan era (although Snyder helped destroy the end of that), and now 3) Ron Rivera. Snyder will only respect and hand over control to an established coach. The rest of the time he installs a puppet GM and just meddles with everything. The best chance we have of becoming truly competitive (other than removing Snyder, which it appears will never happen) is to continue having Rivera as a buffer keeping Snyder from touching anything. So anyone saying oh just fire Rivera and bring in a young coach to head up the team isn't understanding the situation Washington is in.  That will never work here. 

Edited by MKnight82

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Yeah, that’s his side of the ball, but...no one is hiring Ron Rivera because they want him to come in and install/run the defense. I mean, if he was on the market right now, I’d think the only teams that would even consider him for a DC position would be ones with a young/first-time HC that were hoping to get Rivera to basically be a mentor and show the new guy the ropes. 

He’s in this role because he brings character, stability, leadership, and a sense of professionalism and dignity to an organization that has been absolutely devoid of all those things for a long time. He’s your classic CEO/frontman, as the other guys have already pointed out a couple times.

What they need is a couple of great X’s and O’s guys to put around him. Like John Harbaugh always has (notwithstanding the wide array of opinions about Greg Roman) or like Mike Tomlin has had on his best teams. Though a lot of WFT fans are very harsh towards Scott Turner, I think he’s done okay given relatively limited talent. That they were somehow putting up points with Heinicke (and without guys like Samuel/Thomas) for an extended period of time is an accomplishment. He makes some odd sequencing choices, I think, but I like a lot of the pass concepts he uses — just doesn’t have a QB that can hit on a lot of them.

The real test for Rivera is going to be on the side of the ball you referenced. The defense was terrific last year, so it’s hard to feel quite right giving JDR the axe. But the defensive performance was absolutely unacceptable this year, given the talent (and the investment therein), and someone’s head has to roll. You just can’t drop from 3rd to 27th in defensive DVOA without there being significant changes and consequences. I think JDR has to go, and I think it will be a challenge for Rivera — known for his loyalty — to pull that trigger.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3

I'm not gonna assume we win this game in a blowout or even comfortably. I'd love to see it, but Washington has their back against the wall and might come out with more fight than we expect and plus these last 2 games the way we've taken a quarter or two to get it into gear has me annoyed.

I still expect to win this, but if we don't have Howard in addition to Sanders that isn't ideal, especially since I don't expect Hurts to be running like he was earlier in the season with the ankle just starting to get right. Hopefully we get an efficient game from Jalen in the pocket.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I get it. I don't have a BB, or Sean McVay, or an excellent XO guy. But that's okay. My team truly needs something else right now before we can be good, and I think it's a Rivera type. He's just gotta fix it. 

The hiring of Rivera definitely made sense. He's a culture/team builder and leader of men. A veteran HC that would steady an unstable franchise.

I think that's what you guys needed was a strong hand like that. He might not be the guy to take you over the top, but he can certainly lay the foundation. 

• Like 1