Week 17: Broncos @ Chargers game thread

BroncoSojia

6 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Just fire all of these buffoons into the sun. Seriously. This team is unwatchable.

Also big LOL to Broncos Twitter, which, is inexplicably salivating over Drew Lock again. I do not understand this fanbase at all.

They're right in that he offered more ceiling than TeddyB.     

But yeah, they're missing the fact that there were 2 INT's that James dropped, and the constant issues of footwork with pressure / ball placement / lack of pocket awareness or read progression that literally haven't improved.   

The good news is pretty much any good FO and scouting crew see it.   

To be fair, the pro-Lock Broncos Twitter is just starving for hope.   That's completely understandable, we're year 6 and counting now   Watch what happens if we actually get a QB to get excited about - they'll start trashing Drew Lock immediately (also human nature).   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Good W @Xenos, @Dr LBC @chargerbuckeye & @Chargers fans....even if you don't have your own GD thread in your Forums (but **** the Spanos family for killing the enthusiasm, I get it).    With the TEN & LAR last-minute W, you control your fate with LV next week, win and you're in.   

Would be amazing to see KC-LAC 2002 Chapter 3 in Week 1 of the playoffs.    As we can watch & dream about an offseason where our biggest missing piece is there for the taking to vault us to compete with Herbert & Co. / Mahomes & co.   

To be clear, I'm no longer a Chargers fan, I just have so many of them in my Twitter timeline (some of which I piss off on the regular because I keep it a little too real for them, especially with my continued criticism of Telesco as a GM) that I'll chime in on their stuff on here from time to time because I still have a solid familiarity with the team.

LAC/LV should be flexed into the Sunday Night Game next week.  I still wouldn't trust the league, because if there's a way to get one of their darlings into that primetime fixture they may not be able to resist.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

To be clear, I'm no longer a Chargers fan, I just have so many of them in my Twitter timeline (some of which I piss off on the regular because I keep it a little too real for them, especially with my continued criticism of Telesco as a GM) that I'll chime in on their stuff on here from time to time because I still have a solid familiarity with the team.

LAC/LV should be flexed into the Sunday Night Game next week.  I still wouldn't trust the league, because if there's a way to get one of their darlings into that primetime fixture they may not be able to resist.

Understood.   Don't blame you after what the Spanos family did with SD. 

FWIW I think it's SF/LAR as 1 of the 2 Saturday matchups, and LV/LAC as the Sunday night matchup.   LV/LAC is the only matchup that's an elimination game (other games have teams that can get it, but none where W automatically in, L automatically out).   SF-LAR changes the outlook for a ton of games, and both are playoff or win-and-in, so think that's a Sat night game.   Can't figure out what the other Saturday game will be.    CIN's win over KC really changed the calculus, because it was looking like that was a play-in game too, now it's CIN in.

Edited by Broncofan

Looking forward to Fangio and his staff getting fired. The path to a playoff spot really wasn’t difficult. And it took all of Vic’s incompetence as a HC to blow it. He’s shown he was never meant to be a HC, like so many great coordinators before him who were awful leaders. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Understood.   Don't blame you after what the Spanos family did with SD. 

FWIW I think it's SF/LAR as 1 of the 2 Saturday matchups, and LV/LAC as the Sunday night matchup.   LV/LAC is the only matchup that's an elimination game (other games have teams that can get it, but none where W automatically in, L automatically out).   SF-LAR changes the outlook for a ton of games, and both are playoff or win-and-in, so think that's a Sat night game.   Can't figure out what the other Saturday game will be.    CIN's win over KC really changed the calculus, because it was looking like that was a play-in game too, now it's CIN in.

Just to be clear, Dr LBC was always an LA Rams fan. It had nothing to do with the Chargers leaving SD. When the Rams  came back to LA, that’s when he switched from being a Chargers fan back to a Rams one.

On a different note, I wonder if it would be better to have a Saturday Night game or Sunday night game for us. 

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

Just to be clear, Dr LBC was always an LA Rams fan. It had nothing to do with the Chargers leaving SD. When the Rams  came back to LA, that’s when he switched from being a Chargers fan back to a Rams one.

On a different note, I wonder if it would be better to have a Saturday Night game or Sunday night game for us. 

It would be WAY better IMO to be Saturday - because you have a 50-50 shot of playing the next Saturday on the road for week 1 playoffs.

But I think since LV-LAC is the only 2-way elimination game, it's going to be on Sunday night.   The good news - Justin Herbert has been amazing in prime time either way.   You're hoping at least one more time....

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Given the players that were out - this was hardly a surprising result. 

Saying that -

1. How the f*ck does McMahon still have a job in Denver (and the same goes for Spencer).

2. In my opinion Lock had a decent game. Yes - he had a couple of passes that could have been picked - on one Hinton fell when he was making his cut and without the fall would have been in position to make the catch. I think the same think happened on the second potential pick as well. Shurmur did Lock absolutely no favours with his playcalling - including putting Lock in a position to be injured (more than once) AFTER he already had been hurt. Shurmur looks like he is just playing out time - because I cannot see anyone giving him another OC job given the shambles he has been for the past couple of years. I thought Shurmur would have been an upgrade over Scangs - he wasn't.

3. Lock should have been the starter all season - Fangio and co went with the steady hand because of the first three games on the schedule. But I don't believe that Lock would have ended with a worse record than Teddy. If nothing else - giving him the start could have helped his trade value. With hindsight, I don't think Lock would have developed into a starting calibre QB - but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Scangs stayed as OC and if Lock had been given the time to work with him. Either way - I think it would have been a much more interesting season with Lock as QB. 

4. It was hardly a surprise that the D ultimely got overrun - but some of the back-ups played well and that bodes well for future depth. Same for some of those on offence.

5. Fangio has to go (although I would be open to him remaining as DC I don't think that this is a prospect) - and a house clearing with it. 

6. Paton has some mega decisions to make - picking the right HC and wider coaching staff and fixing the QB position. What he does in the next few weeks will determine the rest of his tenure as GM and the prospects for the Broncos for the next 5 years.

• Like 1

Broncos twitter is just the absolute pits.

Being out of the playoffs with 2 games to go (for all intents and purposes) means that Lock should've been the QB. No point going with Teddy if you aren't serious contenders for a playoff birth.

Drew Lock is still not close to being an adequate NFL QB.

These statements are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 6:24 AM, jolly red giant said:

Given the players that were out - this was hardly a surprising result. 

Saying that -

1. How the f*ck does McMahon still have a job in Denver (and the same goes for Spencer).

2. In my opinion Lock had a decent game. Yes - he had a couple of passes that could have been picked - on one Hinton fell when he was making his cut and without the fall would have been in position to make the catch. I think the same think happened on the second potential pick as well. Shurmur did Lock absolutely no favours with his playcalling - including putting Lock in a position to be injured (more than once) AFTER he already had been hurt. Shurmur looks like he is just playing out time - because I cannot see anyone giving him another OC job given the shambles he has been for the past couple of years. I thought Shurmur would have been an upgrade over Scangs - he wasn't.

3. Lock should have been the starter all season - Fangio and co went with the steady hand because of the first three games on the schedule. But I don't believe that Lock would have ended with a worse record than Teddy. If nothing else - giving him the start could have helped his trade value. With hindsight, I don't think Lock would have developed into a starting calibre QB - but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Scangs stayed as OC and if Lock had been given the time to work with him. Either way - I think it would have been a much more interesting season with Lock as QB. 

4. It was hardly a surprise that the D ultimely got overrun - but some of the back-ups played well and that bodes well for future depth. Same for some of those on offence.

5. Fangio has to go (although I would be open to him remaining as DC I don't think that this is a prospect) - and a house clearing with it. 

6. Paton has some mega decisions to make - picking the right HC and wider coaching staff and fixing the QB position. What he does in the next few weeks will determine the rest of his tenure as GM and the prospects for the Broncos for the next 5 years.

The Philly special aside (which wasn't his fault, just a great stick by the CB) - Hinton showed more progress.   He's no better than our WR4-5 next year, but at his stage of development, clear progress each time, which is encouraging.  I believe this is literally only his 3rd (or 4th) year as a WR, QB all before that.   Given that, there's something to keep working with, to see how he progresses. 

I'd be pretty happy if we kept Hinton & Seth Williams as our 4th-5th WR's heading into next year (and who drop to 5th-6th when KJ Hamler is back).   Both have room to grow at their NFL stages, and have a much higher ceiling than most 5th-6th WR's on current NFL rosters.  

Edited by Broncofan