Week 17 GDT - Houston Texans at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

And I thought it was pretty significant that, on Monday, Shanahan seemed open to Lance playing against the Texans whether or not Garoppolo is healthy. I’ve asked Shanahan about the QB specifics probably 20 times this season and this answer about putting Lance into the Houston game plan was different.

“Definitely if Jimmy’s not playing,” Shanahan said of Lance playing Sunday. “But I really don’t decide that until I watch the Texans. We just finished with our guys. So I’m about to jump into them now. But there’s a chance.”

Again, this is a different tone, probably altered by Garoppolo’s performance on Thursday and by his injury. But I think Shanahan’s thinking has also been affected by the fact Lance has been practicing the last several weeks leading the scout team against the 49ers’ defense.

“I think this last month of Trey has been his best consecutive four weeks of practice since we’ve had him,” Shanahan said. “He’s had a number of good days and he’s had some bad days, like most guys do. But as far as his consistency and stuff, I feel this last month has been his best. … That just goes to how consistently he’s throwing the ball, how he’s moving, his accuracy, his decisions, everything. …

“I think if you talk to the defensive coaches, defensive players, myself watching, I think we’d all feel the same.”

https://theathletic.com/3036518/2021/12/27/kawakami-suddenly-a-franchise-shift-to-trey-lance-and-into-the-49ers-future/?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&redirected=1

We've all read/heard the reports of Lance practising very well over the last month. Now, facing one of the worst teams in the league and a team we've dominated for 3 seasons, we'll see how it all handles up, whether the hype is at least somewhat justified or not

20 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

We’re not winning the SB this year anyways. Let Lance develop and put him in the playoff game if we make it. It will add confidence and let him know the whole team has his back

If the Saints lose vs Panthers and we beat the Texans we clinch WC spot. Not saying we will make a run but makes things interesting if Jimmy is out rest of the year. If Lance can win a playoff game that would be wild. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

12 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

https://theathletic.com/3036518/2021/12/27/kawakami-suddenly-a-franchise-shift-to-trey-lance-and-into-the-49ers-future/?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&redirected=1

We've all read/heard the reports of Lance practising very well over the last month. Now, facing one of the worst teams in the league and a team we've dominated for 3 seasons, we'll see how it all handles up, whether the hype is at least somewhat justified or not

Honestly, the Texans defense he will be facing is average but not terrible or one of the worst in the league. Their offense has been a disaster all season for the most part, but the defense has held up in the average range. Not a terrible spot for Lance to be making his second start in, but just saying this is not the Jets or Jaguars type of defense lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

This looks like the play he got injured. Rough luck. 

p51uivjy58881.jpg?width=589&auto=webp&s=3d091aecfa9e1dcb1765c43c4f9cd2abad871d13

And here is the telecast edition:

Surprised no flag in this era of gridiron. 

I’m not. It’s Jimmy G not Rodgers or Brady. Pretty sad how certain QBs get calls and others don’t. That’s just life though.

59 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I’m not. It’s Jimmy G not Rodgers or Brady. Pretty sad how certain QBs get calls and others don’t. That’s just life though.

You'd be surprised by who gets a high amount of calls. Matt Ryan has the most over the last decade or so but hes at the top in terms of chances. 

Fitzmagic is the goat in drawing them, especially given how long he has played. Josh Allen is currently the active leader in drawing them on a per game basis, followed by Fitz, Wentz,  Kirk, tannehill and Mayfield

But Jimmy G gets rtp called more frequently than Aaron Rodgers, mahomes, cam Newton, Brady. He's actually one of the highest when you break it down to per pass attempt (3rd)

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

You'd be surprised by who gets a high amount of calls. Matt Ryan has the most over the last decade or so but hes at the top in terms of chances. 

Fitzmagic is the goat in drawing them, especially given how long he has played. Josh Allen is currently the active leader in drawing them on a per game basis, followed by Fitz, Wentz,  Kirk, tannehill and Mayfield

But Jimmy G gets rtp called more frequently than Aaron Rodgers, mahomes, cam Newton, Brady. He's actually one of the highest when you break it down to per pass attempt (3rd)

You’re right, I am surprised lol. Maybe those red tinted glasses. I do think Jimmy does put himself in a position to get the RTP calls far more than guys like Rodgers and Brady though. I also want to point out that Brees was the king of getting soft calls.

Knock on wood on not having any Covid positives this week....But Lance is set to have Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle and possibly Mitchell this week. He will have a stacked set of weapons and I'm really hoping we have at least 7-8 plays of 25+ yards. This needs to be an explosive offense and we have the weapons for it and now presumably the QB for it.

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Knock on wood on not having any Covid positives this week....But Lance is set to have Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle and possibly Mitchell this week. He will have a stacked set of weapons and I'm really hoping we have at least 7-8 plays of 25+ yards. This needs to be an explosive offense and we have the weapons for it and now presumably the QB for it.

Just rooting for 60% completion percentage lol 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Just rooting for 60% completion percentage lol 

Honestly, not a major concern of mine. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a sub-50% completion percentage but if Lance generates explosive plays with his arm, he can still have a high YPA and a below average completion percentage. Kap was barely at like 60% in the playoffs in 2012 and yet had an insane YPA because his completions went for big yards. I want that type of offense on Sunday. We can worry about Lance developing into a super accurate QB next season lol.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

What happens if we lose one and the saints win one and we all the tie the other games. Let’s get nuts

The saints are mainly the team we want out because we didn't play them. I believe that if we were in a three way tie with Philly and Minnesota, for example, then we would in fact get in because then our victories over each apply. Same for Atlanta. 

I believe that's how we got the one seed in 2019 as we had beat both the Packers and saints