Week 17 GDT - Houston Texans at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

9 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

The play that Lance "canned" at the LOS after reading the defense then hit Deebo in the numbers for a downfield strike made me sit up straight a little and say whoa. Unfortunately, Deebo dropped the pass, but Lance made all the right decisions on that play. 

For a 21 year old kid with as little playing time as he's had and barely any time running with the 1's in practice to do that at this stage in his career is impressive. There were a couple of growth moments in that game and this was one of them.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The play that Lance "canned" at the LOS after reading the defense then hit Deebo in the numbers for a downfield strike made me sit up straight a little and say whoa. Unfortunately, Deebo dropped the pass, but Lance made all the right decisions on that play. 

For a 21 year old kid with as little playing time as he's had and barely any time running with the 1's in practice to do that at this stage in his career is impressive. There were a couple of growth moments in that game and this was one of them.

What I kind of come back to is what Kyle said after the Arizona game. His basic sentiment was 'I thought Trey was getting ready to take off after the Arizona game, but then he had the knee injury'. There is also the growth he showed throughout the game. I think he can build on this last game if we start him this weekend, and I don't really see Jimmy as being a clear better option than Trey going into the Rams game. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Of course early on Lance is going to be a one read type of guy until he settles down and gains confidence in his abilities, but he is wise beyond his years. He has all the physical tools you want from a QB while also having the mental capacity to be a great QB. Just looks at how he has improved his throwing motion in season. Is it perfect? Of course not, but for him to improve it from week 5 to week 17 shows how much work he is putting in it. 

Next year I expect him to start fairly slow but by week 4 or 5, he's going to take off and have a huge season. Can't wait! 

• Like 7

What I liked the most about Lance's performance was the throws he made to Aiyuk (end of first half), Kittle and Deebo was that he threw it before the receiver was actually open. He diagnosed the coverage and threw those passes with anticipation. Next step is to stay patient in the pocket and not just take off if the first reads are not open. He left the pocket a few times when he did not have to and was a bit hesitant to pull the trigger. Granted, most of that happened at the beginning of the game when he was a little jittery. He even mentioned to Kittle at halftime that he got in rhythm from the two minute drive before halftime. Going forward and especially if Lance starts on Sunday, Shanny needs to let him loose from the beginning and get him a few bootleg passes to his confidence up. Because once Lance will feel in rhythm, then he's going to be just fine.

So glad he got to show his potential against Houston. It was like Mahomes against the Chargers in his rookie season. Will make the fans feel a lot better in the offseason lol.

• Like 3

Just wondering. Mac Jones was obviously the best rookie QB overall this year. I think it was overrated overall (some of the midseason hype was out unjustified by the media) but he did have some solid starts

Besides Jones, would Lance's start against the Texans be the best of any the other 2021 rookie QB's? 

Wilson had a good game against the Titans. Lawrence had a good game today. Mils had a good game against the Chargers. Fields was good against us. Only other ones i can think of. 

Edited by 49ersfan

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Just wondering. Mac Jones was obviously the best rookie QB overall this year. I think it was overrated overall (some of the midseason hype was out unjustified by the media) but he did have some solid starts

Besides Jones, would Lance's start against the Texans be the best of any the other 2021 rookie QB's? 

Wilson had a good game against the Titans. Lawrence had a good game today. Mils had a good game against the Chargers. Fields was good against us. Only other ones i can think of. 

Mills had a good game today. Think that was better than lance's game