Week 16 Overreactions: The "Is David Culley Underrated?" Edition

AFlaccoSeagulls

19 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I have seen so many headlines, tweets, posts, etc. over the last day or so fawning over Joe Burrow's performance it makes me want to puke. I agree you can only play against the guys who line up across from you, but my god the guy is a #1 overall pick with Tee Higgins and JaMarr Chase facing guys signed off the street 2-3 days ago! It wasn't legendary, it was completely expected given the circumstances.

Huntley > Josh Johnson > Lamar, obviously. I mean, Mark Andrews' production with those guys vs. Lamar doesn't lie!

Burrow is certainly better than Goff.

However, in 2019 the Browns had to play street FAs at CB that were recently signed, while we rolled into town with a fully healthy trio of Cooks/Woods/Kupp.

Not the exact same situation - Bengals QB is better, Ravens are more decimated.

But then, McVay is a better coach than Taylor and Harbs better than....Kitchens I think?

The result was a 268 yard 2 TD 2 INT. So while the Bengals should have won and Burrow should have had a good game, what he did was still impressive from that perspective.

11 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I'd go the other way.

Once Ryan is out, the Falcons will be vying for the number one pick for several years

naw, Ryan hasn't been amazing this year. He's not been his regular self. The defense as bad as it is has saved the day many times this year.

11 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I'd go the other way.

Once Ryan is out, the Falcons will be vying for the number one pick for several years

Luckily Ryan prob. won't be out for another 3 years or so which gives us more than enough time to fix the cap situation and get smith and fonts type of players that fit their scheme in here. 

23 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I have seen so many headlines, tweets, posts, etc. over the last day or so fawning over Joe Burrow's performance it makes me want to puke. I agree you can only play against the guys who line up across from you, but my god the guy is a #1 overall pick with Tee Higgins and JaMarr Chase facing guys signed off the street 2-3 days ago! It wasn't legendary, it was completely expected given the circumstances.

Totally get it.  Our fans were sick of hearing about the Ravens rolling to 400 yards on the ground with about 2/3 of our roster on IR last year.  Not much our defense could do about it either.

57 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Totally get it.  Our fans were sick of hearing about the Ravens rolling to 400 yards on the ground with about 2/3 of our roster on IR last year.  Not much our defense could do about it either.

I've also seen people be like "well this is payback for that game!" while conveniently forgetting that the Ravens passed the ball 4 times in the 2nd half and took Lamar out of the game for the 4th quarter and we still just obliterated your team on the ground.

No matter, I kinda like the idea of a Bengals/Ravens rivalry surfacing in the AFC North. It's good for the division and Burrow vs. Lamar makes for a good story for the next decade.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I've also seen people be like "well this is payback for that game!" while conveniently forgetting that the Ravens passed the ball 4 times in the 2nd half and took Lamar out of the game for the 4th quarter and we still just obliterated your team on the ground.

No matter, I kinda like the idea of a Bengals/Ravens rivalry surfacing in the AFC North. It's good for the division and Burrow vs. Lamar makes for a good story for the next decade.

I wasn't trying to defend it.  Truth is, the short passing game was how the Bengals were running clock.  They were successful with that, but not much room on the ground.

I'm all for the rivalry too.  One, they isn't bad blood like with Pitt.  Neither team is taking the opposition out.  Two, I never hated the Ravens like the Browns or Steelers.  Plus, the teams are built so differently, it sets up for the immovable object/unstoppable force angle.  Like the last decade of Carson, Chad, TJ and Rudi up against the ravens defense.  Last, the series is quite even.  Pitt doesn't look at us like a rival because we traditionally don't win enough.  It only gets testy when the Bengals are good for a few years.

11 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I wasn't trying to defend it.  Truth is, the short passing game was how the Bengals were running clock.  They were successful with that, but not much room on the ground.

It was 34-21 at the start of the 4th, IMO the Bengals were in a close-enough game where they shouldn't need to apologise for passing. 

For being a league full of tough alpha-male manly men, the players/GMs/coaches sure whine a lot about their hurt feelings. 

Edited by Mr Bad Example
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SkippyX said:

The Falcons are riding high now and may only lose to Buffalo by 13!

idk about riding high about anything. I just think they made the right coaching choice. Smith has brought this team wins that would have EASILY been losses last year.