Week 17 Chefs

Beck Bristow

12 hours ago, theJ said:

Obviously the chase-sewell decision has been confirmed. The guy is lightning. Combined with Higgins and Boyd this WR room is lethal. Fun to watch. 

100% agreed.

That said we need to attack the OL in free agency hard.  Burrow isn't going to last getting hit this much year after year.  Look what the Chiefs did for their oline from 2020 to 2021. We need to do something similar.

11 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Man, this game felt like it was over early and we just kept coming. Lots of whiny chief fans about bad calls, but I didn't see anything egregious.  Just hard work and big plays. Love it.

It's the same crap calls we've dealt with for years. That's NFL officiating. Their WR's pushed off every bit as much as they think Chase did, if they want it called that close then their is DPI on nearly every play then. Even in this game there were iffy calls against the Bengals, like I said, that's NFL officiating.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

100% agreed.

That said we need to attack the OL in free agency hard.  Burrow isn't going to last getting hit this much year after year.  Look what the Chiefs did for their oline from 2020 to 2021. We need to do something similar.

It's the same crap calls we've dealt with for years. That's NFL officiating. Their WR's pushed off every bit as much as they think Chase did, if they want it called that close then their is DPI on nearly every play then. Even in this game there were iffy calls against the Bengals, like I said, that's NFL officiating.

The way we've played this year, we absolutely have to spend in free agency.  Veteran center and a pass rusher. Then add depth along both lines and corner in the draft. Our window is opening, we need to protect 9 better so we keep it open. 

Yeah,  those "bad calls" were calls that got made all game, many against us I. The first half. I don't think Chief fans are used to playing a team with receivers that can pressure the defense the same way they can. 

• Like 1

reflecting back, that game was so much fun.  i had some RL stuff to do, so i only caught the first half and last 5 min.  but i watched the highlights of the 2nd half after the fact, and what a wild ride.

Things i think i know after yesterday:

1) For the first time since 2005, i think Cincinnati finally has a team that can compete in the playoffs

2) Joe Burrow's penchant for playing big on the big stage wasn't just a college thing.

3) Tee Higgins is a beast, and Tyler Boyd is very dependable, but Jamaar Chase is a game breaker.  that first touchdown grab kept that game from swinging toward to a blowout.

4) When i tuned out at halftime, i thought i'd see a KC final score of 45.  To see that they only scored 3 points in the second half - hats off to Lou and what he's done with this defense this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

The way we've played this year, we absolutely have to spend in free agency.  Veteran center and a pass rusher. Then add depth along both lines and corner in the draft. Our window is opening, we need to protect 9 better so we keep it open. 

Yeah,  those "bad calls" were calls that got made all game, many against us I. The first half. I don't think Chief fans are used to playing a team with receivers that can pressure the defense the same way they can. 

i wonder what kind of room they'll have.

They have a few guys to re-sign.

• Bates
  • Uzomah
  • Reiff
  • Ogunjobi
  • Huber

I guess they can probably cut ties with Trae Waynes.  But i would imagine they're going to start talking to Jonah about a long term deal.  Trey Hopkins too.  Maybe Germaine Pratt? (should be cheap)

1 hour ago, theJ said:

• Bates
  • Uzomah
  • Reiff
  • Ogunjobi
  • Huber

I guess they can probably cut ties with Trae Waynes.  But i would imagine they're going to start talking to Jonah about a long term deal.  Trey Hopkins too.  Maybe Germaine Pratt? (should be cheap)

Do we overpay Uzomah? I'd like to keep Reiff, but I'd think it would be team friendly. Upgrading on Hopkins is a must for this offseason. Bates and Ogunjobi will be interesting to see. Bates will be expensive if they don't get him under contract as I suspect he'll get franchised. Ogunjobi played well for us, but it might be a choice between him and Hill, who I'm sure is the younger and cheaper player.

5 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Do we overpay Uzomah? I'd like to keep Reiff, but I'd think it would be team friendly. Upgrading on Hopkins is a must for this offseason. Bates and Ogunjobi will be interesting to see. Bates will be expensive if they don't get him under contract as I suspect he'll get franchised. Ogunjobi played well for us, but it might be a choice between him and Hill, who I'm sure is the younger and cheaper player.

it'll all depend on the money.  i think they're all good to bring back.  Uzomah fits this team so well, and shouldn't demand top tier money.

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

it'll all depend on the money.  i think they're all good to bring back.  Uzomah fits this team so well, and shouldn't demand top tier money.

I hope we bring him back. Seems like a great teammate,  but you wonder if he doesn't want a chance to play in a pass heavy offense. 

1 hour ago, theJ said:

i had some RL stuff to do, so i only caught the first half and last 5 min

This was a rare day where I had RL stuff to do but actually put it off to watch the entire game. I'm behind today, but totally worth it, lol.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

1) For the first time since 2005, i think Cincinnati finally has a team that can compete in the playoffs

That 2015 team up until the point where Dalton got hurt I felt was a true SB contender.  That went away once Dalton got hurt, but it was a fun 13 weeks.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

2) Joe Burrow's penchant for playing big on the big stage wasn't just a college thing.

The legend of BD Joe continues to grow

1 hour ago, theJ said:

3) Tee Higgins is a beast, and Tyler Boyd is very dependable, but Jamaar Chase is a game breaker.  that first touchdown grab kept that game from swinging toward to a blowout.

Higgins is good enough to be WR1 on almost any team, but Chase is a top 5 NFL WR the next decade.  That's just different. Best trio of WR in the NFL

1 hour ago, theJ said:

4) When i tuned out at halftime, i thought i'd see a KC final score of 45.  To see that they only scored 3 points in the second half - hats off to Lou and what he's done with this defense this season.

Lou's blitz mix in's were on point in the 2nd half, and huge credit has to go to the big time game from Awuzie, that has been a HR free agent pickup every bit as important as Hendrickson. We're 1 starting CB, 1 depth edge rusher, and 1 depth LB away from having a very good defense.

15 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I bet we can get Uzomah back for something like 3 years, $21 mil.  he and Joe have a good report, and he's a locker room leader.

3 hours ago, theJ said:

• Bates
  • Uzomah
  • Reiff
  • Ogunjobi
  • Huber

If they cut waynes, they will have over 70 mill to play with, plus carry-over.  What i would do is try to use the rest of this year's cap space on BJ Hill and Apple.  At least get the ball rolling.  Then turn to Bates.  if he still wants top S money, he gets tagged for two straight years. It's way cheaper to go that route, but you have a scorned player, so we shall see.  Uzomah already plays in a pass happy offense.  Keep him at what he makes now (the same $7 mill per).  Huber is probably retiring.  That's whaty we have been keeping Cristman at arm's length.

I'm fine with moving on from Reiff.  Giove me Trent Brown at RT.  Then get a better center (Evan  Brown of Detroit, who played well filling in for Ragnow).  Other sityes have suggested trying to land Scherff, which would render Spain obsolete.  If they don't get a proven young guy, another year of Reiff wouldn't be bad.  I just want better.

Ogunjobi comes down to price.  If we fill these other spots in free agency, then use the 9 draft picks to fill remaining holes.  So if other teams break the bank for Larry O, let him go for the money.  If they get him back for mid to hi 7 figures, keep him.

8 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

That 2015 team up until the point where Dalton got hurt I felt was a true SB contender.  That went away once Dalton got hurt, but it was a fun 13 weeks.

Yes and no.  i had convinced myself that they could contend.  the team was good enough.  in the back of my mind, i always wondered what would happen when they were challenged by another really good in a playoff game.  specifically, what would have happened to Dalton.  maybe we'd have been surprised...i don't know.