Positional Needs Heading into the Offseason

MKnight82

I figured its time for a deep dive on the current state of the roster.  I’m going to take a look at who we have, who might leave, and what are our biggest needs heading into this offseason. Obviously a lot of this I just my opinion so throw in your own 2 cents and let me know what I’ve got wrong.

Also of note, I’m not going to mention every player we have on the practice squad or some scrubs we’ve signed to fill in for players lost to COVID. 

QB

2021 Roster: Taylor Heinicke (28), Ryan Fitzpatrick (39), Kyle Allen (25)

Expiring Contracts: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kyle Allen (RFA)

Roster Spots: 2-3

Guaranteed on Roster 2022: Taylor Heinicke

Free Agency Fix: Unlikely

First Round Need: Yes

Round 2-3 Need: Maybe

Late Round Need: Unlikely

Comments: We brought in Ryan Fitzpatrick to be a veteran presence at QB and be a bridge until we can find a legitimate franchise guy.  But Heinicke has basically taken that role, there’s no reason to bring back Fitzpatrick as Heinicke knows the offense and can start until we get something better.  If we draft a QB early in the draft Heinicke can help the rookie learn the offense, and he’s already under contract for 2022 at a very reasonable number so there’s no way Heinicke isn’t on the roster next year.

Since Kyle Allen is a RFA he will be relatively cheap to keep for another year, so I expect us to at least bring him in to camp again next year. Whether he makes the team as the 3rd QB will depend on what else we do at QB in the offseason. I believe it is very unlikely we make a big splash trade for a veteran QB like Watson, Rodgers or Wilson, as those guys would have to sign off on wanting to come here and they’re never going to do that because we’ve been dysfunctional for two decades. I also think its unlikely we sign another mid-tier veteran QB in free agency like a Trubisky or Mariota or someone like that, because we just did that with Fitzpatrick and it didn’t work. Now if they get into scouting the draft and they’re like there’s just no way we’re drafting a first round QB in this class, then maybe you go get one of those guys to compete with Heinicke in camp, and maybe take a flyer on someone in the 3rd round to compete as well, but honestly that just feels like the same thing we just did that didn’t work.  No I think its highly probabe we draft a QB in the first two rounds to compete with Heinicke in training camp.  That seems like the most likely result.

Its possible we double dip and also draft a QB in one of the late rounds, but with Kyle Allen being a cheap 3rd QB option I’m not sure they’ll go that route.

HB

2021 Roster: Antonio Gibson (23), JD McKissic (28), Jaret Patterson (22)

Expiring Contracts: JD McKissic

Roster Spots: 3-4

Guaranteed on Roster 2022: Antonio Gibson

First Round Need: No

Late Round Need: Probably

Comments: I really like JD McKissic but he’s a pending free agent and will be 29 years old at the beginning of next season. Honestly the things he does as a receiver out of the backfield Gibson should be able to do for us, what we don’t have is a traditional pound the ball up the middle kind of running back. Which isn’t surprising when you consider what this offensive scheme seems to want to do with the RB position, but a lot of the games we won this season were built around ball control and running the ball so I think it can be argued a traditional RB is warranted. Gibson doesn’t appear to be that guy, based on the fact that out of the top 50 RBs in rushing yards so far this season Gibson is ranked 42nd amongst the in yards per carry with 3.8. So despite the fact that he’s 8th in total rushing yards you can see he’s highly inefficient at it. Now I don’t know if I’m knowledgeable enough to blame this all on Gibson, or whether it could be blamed on scheme or poor oline play, but a lot of those 41 RBs with better ypc don’t have great situation either so I don’t think it’s a stretch to think we could upgrade Gibson in the run game or at least give him some competition.

It seems unlikely we’d bring in a new RB starter through FA as there really isn’t anyone out there that would be better than Gibson, except maybe Leonard Fournette, and he’s so hit or miss I don’t think its worth it. Also signing veteran RBs in free agency generally never works out.  No I think its more likely we draft a RB, definitely not in the 1st round but starting in the 2nd I think it’s a possibility. The line of thinking here is, hey maybe a big upgrade at QB just isn’t in the cards this offseason, so maybe try to make a really good running game to compliment whoever is here. Or maybe we do take a rookie QB high and want to help them by giving them a strong run game to work with.  Either way it feels like the run game is coming back as a viable strategy to win games as a lot of teams have started leaning on it more.

If you don’t take a RB in Rounds 2 or 3 I think you have to take one with a late round pick.  We just need someone else to compete at this position and I’ve seen nothing from Patterson to make me think he’s worth keeping around. Honestly this is a position we could double dip at in the draft.

TE

2021 Roster: Logan Thomas (30), John Bates (24), Ricky Seals-Jones (26), Sammis Reyes (26)

Expiring Contracts: Ricky Seals-Jones

Guaranteed on Roster 2022: Logan Thomas, John Bates

Round 2-3 Need: No

Late Round Need: Maybe

Comments: I feel a lot better about this position than I thought I would after this season. Yes Logan Thomas has been injured but when he’s on the field he’s a weapon for our passing game. John Bates has been a pleasant surprise who looks like he can contribute, and Ricky Seals-Jones has made some great catches in the passing game when he’s given the opportunity. I would try to resign RSJ for a reasonable deal and maybe take a late round flyer on a guy to compete for the 4th spot on the roster.  Otherwise I think we’re set at this spot for next year.

WR

2021 Roster: Terry McLaurin (26), Curtis Samuel (25), Adam Humphries (28), Deandre Carter (28), Cam Sims (25), Dyami Brown (22), Antonio Gandy-Golden (23), Dax Milne (22)

Expiring Contracts: Cam Sims, Adam Humphries, Deandre Carter, Antonio Gandy Golden

Roster Spots: 6-7

Guaranteed on Roster 2022: Terry McLaurin, Curtis Samuel, Dyami Brown

Free Agency Fix: Possible

First Round Need: Unlikely

Round 2-3 Need: Yes

Comments: McLaurin is obviously the cream of the crop here, and he’s likely a top 3 player on our roster. Curtis Samuel will likely be on the roster next year as it just isn’t practical to cut him next year, even if we cut him designated post June 1st he’d count as $10.9 mil in dead cap space so we might as well see what we can get out of him. I also think its unlikely we move on from Brown after selecting him in the 3rd round just this past year. That leaves 3-4 possible spots on the roster for other WRs, and honestly I’d be fine if we cleaned house and brought in a lot of new faces here. Gandy Golden is an ERFA and Milne still has 3 years left on his rookie deal so both could be retained very cheap for bottom of the roster depth.

What this WR depth chart really needs though is a legitimate #2 option across from McLaurin. The best way to fill that spot is either with a high draft pick or with a veteran signing in FA. The free agent pool at WR doesn’t look that great IMO, and I think its likely high profile guys like Davante Adams, Chris Godwin, Mike Williams and Christian Kirk all resign to stay with their teams. Also I don’t think we would target high profile head cases like Antonio Brown or Odell Beckham. That leaves a list of guys like Alan Lazard, Allen Robinson, Jamison Crowder, Michael Gallup or Sammy Watkins.  None of those names are going to move the needle a ton but hey maybe they could contribute more than the 368 yards we’ve gotten out of our current #2 WR Adam Humphries this year. I also think we should sign a vet regardless of what our plan for the draft is.

We could also draft a talented WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. Now I say 2nd or 3rd without including the first round because we’re likely going to have a top 15 pick in the draft, and it seems like a luxury taking a #2 wr that high when he’s never going to be our top guy with McLaurin around. Also we have a lot of bottom of the depth chart type of guys now, so taking late round guys feels like wasted picks. That’s why selecting a quality WR in the 2nd or 3rd round feels like the sweet spot. I honestly feel like some combination of QB, WR, & HB with our top 3 picks in this upcoming draft should be a real consideration. If we were to sign a veteran WR and come away with like a 2nd round WR our depth chart could look like this: McLaurin, Gallup or Robinson (someone like that), Samuel, 2nd round pick, Brown, Gandy Golden, Milne. That looks pretty legit to me.

OL

2021 Roster: LT Charles Leno (30), LG Ereck Flowers (27), OC Chase Roullier (28), Brandon Scherff (30), RT Sam Cosmi (22), OT Saahdiq Charles (22), OC Keith Ismael (23), OT Cornelius Lucas (30), G Wes Schweitzer (28), OC Tyler Larsen (30)

Expiring Contracts: RG Brandon Scherff, LT Charles Leno, OT Cornelius Lucas, OC Tyler Larsen

Roster Spots: 9-10

Guaranteed on Roster 2022: LG Ereck Flowers, OC Chase Roullier, RT Sam Cosmi

Free Agency Fix: Possible

First Round Need: Yes?

Round 2-3 Need: Possible

Late Round Need: Possible

Comments: I find it bizarre that this regime’s approach to building the offensive line has been to duct tape it together with mostly a bunch of low priced signings, mid and late round draft picks and cast offs from other teams. I also find it bizarre that its kind of worked. Instead of trying to build an Oline consisting of 5 really good high priced players they have tried to make it a deep group that is kind of interchangeable. What that has done is that when injuries occur along the line we haven’t seen a big difference in play (within reason, when we get down to 4th stringers obviously things start coming apart).  I also think we scheme around oline weaknesses by trying to get the ball out quickly and running a lot of short slants and screens. The issues show up generally when things are going poorly and the other team knows we have to throw the ball to try to catch up score wise.

I think its safe to say Ereck Flowers, Chase Roullier and Sam Cosmi will all return as starters in 2022. LT is kind of a question mark heading into next season. I’m not watching the LT position on every snap during games so Idk if I can comment much on Charles Leno’s play this year, but it doesn’t seem like he gets pointed out much during games for poor play. Also I know it isn’t a perfect metric, but PFF has Leno rated as a 81.0 this season, which is higher than Brandon Scherff and best among our starting olineman other than Chase Roullier. So with all of that, and the fact that we’re going to need to address the RG position, I would support giving Leno a 2-3 year contract extension to remain with the team.

The elephant in the room is obviously Brandon Scherff’s pending free agency.  Since we can’t feasibly tag him for a 3rd time I expect us to offer him a long term contract extension, and I expect him to leave and sign with someone else. It just seems like if these two parties were going to agree on a long term extension it would of happened by now. That leaves a big hole at the starting RG spot.  In house candidates to take over that spot would be Wes Schweitzer or Saahdiq Charles. Schweitzer played surprisingly well when asked to this year and could be a decent stopgap solution. One thing to point out about Schweitzer though, his cap number is raising to a not so cheap $6 mil next year so some negotiations may need to be done there. Charles, despite some hype after being drafted, just hasn’t seemed to elevate his game and he is sparingly used on game day. Also after bouncing around between Guard and Tackle it seems like the coaches have settled on Charles being a backup at Tackle.

We don’t really have any young drafted talent at the Guard position on the roster. All of our Guards were brought in through free agency (assuming Scherff leaves) and all are pushing 30 or already there. It feels like we have to draft a Guard somewhere in this upcoming draft, whether that’s a high pick to plug in to start or a late round pick to groom and develop. Now if we do decide hey this isn’t a great QB class let’s pass on a first round QB, I could see our first round pick being used on the Oline. The idea would be to build a really talented Oline for whenever we acquire a legitimate starter at QB. Bring in a first round Guard, plug him in next to talented rookie Sam Cosmi and prosper for the next 10 years on the right side. I think that’s rather unlikely though, and instead expect us to take someone in round 3-5 to compete for the starting RG spot. Also, the Guard free agency class seems deeper than other positions, with names like Andrew Norwell, Laken Tomlinson, AJ Cann, Trai Turner, Ethan Pocic, Billy Price, Will Hernandez, James Daniels, Connor Williams and more all available. I could see us signing one of those guys, using a mid round pick, and maybe even double dipping in the draft with another Guard in the late rounds to compete at RG. I think that’s the most likely scenario.

As far as overall depth behind the starters I’m fine bringing the rest of the band back. Cornelius Lucas has been serviceable and should be offered a reasonable extension. I could go either way on Tyler Larsen.

One final note about the Oline.  If we do look to move one of our dline via trade, like say Daron Payne, I think it would be to upgrade the RG position.  If you could convert Daron Payne into a 2nd round prospect at Guard I think you have to make that trade.

RECAP OF OFFENSIVE NEEDS

While I think defensively we need to get some players back healthy and probably look at scheming things differently, in my opinion the offense lacks talent. I really think we should consider using our first 4 rounds of draft picks on the offensive side of the ball.  We need talent at QB, WR, HB and G. I also think we should bring in new veteran faces at the WR and Guard positions. Obviously finding a QB needs to be the priority, but we need an upgrade in talent at a lot of spots on the offense.

DE

2021 Roster: Montez Sweat (25), Chase Young (22), Casey Toohill (25), James Smith-Williams (24, Shaka Toney (23), Casey Toohill (25), Will Bradley-King (24)

Expiring Contracts: None

Roster Spots: 5

Guaranteed on Roster 2022: Montez Sweat, Chase Young

Free Agency Fix: Likely

Comments: Sweat and Young will remain the entrenched starters for the foreseeable future. We also have some young drafted players that can compete for bottom of the depth chart spots. What we are missing is a legitimate 3rd guy who can rotate in without giving us much of a drop off in production. Spending more late round picks on pass rushers probably won’t produce the result we’re looking for, so either we need to spend a more premium draft pick on a pass rusher (unlikely considering we have so many other needs) or we need to bring in a veteran via free agency. The free agent we sign would have to be willing to play a reduced role with limited snaps, so I think its likely we’d be looking at an aging veteran looking to squeeze another season or two from the league.  Someone like Mario Addison, who’s familiar with Ron Rivera and is a pending free agent, could be a good fit. This is also a really young group so having an older vet to offer some guidance couldn’t hurt.

DT

2021 Roster: Jonathan Allen (26), Daron Payne (24), Matt Ioannidis (27), Tim Settle (24)

Expiring Contracts: Tim Settle

Roster Spots: 4

Guaranteed on Roster 2022: Jonathan Allen

Comments: This is a very talented group, probably our deepest position group as far as talent is concerned on the entire roster. Its so deep that conversations about trade possibilities always come up. Allen has experienced a breakout season and couple that with his recent contract extension he isn’t going anywhere. Daron Payne is the most likely candidate to get traded out of this group and he has the high draft status pedigree and would likely net us the largest return.  I’m not sure what Ioannidis’ reputation is around the league and whether he’d bring a high return or not, and also he’s dealt with some injuries. I also question what kind of return Payne will even net us considering he has 14.5 career sacks. I know he contributes in other ways but you don’t see teams trading premium draft picks for run stuffers. I think if we were offered a 2nd round pick for him we’d have to take it, but honestly I’m not sure if we could get that.

I think the most likely scenario is we extend Tim Settle to a reasonable extension and we bring all of these guys back next year.  If Settle were to leave in free agency we could use a late round pick to fill his spot, and honestly if we don’t trade Payne or Ioannidis this is probably what we should do.  It doesn’t make a lot of sense to pay a lot of money to retain Settle who’s only played 18% of defensive snaps this season.  Remember we drafted Ioannidis and Settle in the 5th round and they turned out ok.

LB

2021 Roster: Jamin Davis (23), Cole Holcomb (25), Jon Bostic (30), Khaleke Hudson (24), David Mayo (28)

Expiring Contracts: Jon Bostic, David Mayo

Guaranteed on Roster 2022: Jamin Davis, Cole Holcomb

First Round Need: No?

Late Round Need: Probable

Comments: Davis and Holcomb will continue to start, but we really don’t have a third caliber starting linebacker and honestly it would be better if we could get someone who’s talented enough to take Holcomb’s snaps away from him in nickel packages. Hudson will likely stick around as he’s on a cheap contract, but we really need two new linebackers added to the roster, one starter and one depth player.  We can add more depth with a late round draft pick at linebacker, but a new starter needs to come either from a higher pick like a 2nd or 3rd rounder, or a veteran free agent signing. This seems to me to be the most obvious spot on the roster to spend some real money in free agency at an upgrade. Some free agent options could be Foyesade Oluokun, De’Vondre Campbell or Kyzir White. All of these guys would be upgrades over Jon Bostic, who I seriously hope has played his last down for Washington.

Another thing to consider is Landon Collins continuing to play more snaps at linebacker. He seems reluctant to make the switch permanently which is unfortunate because he’s awful at Safety. I also think he’s a potential cap casualty, because if we were to designate him a post June 1st cut we would save $12 mil with only $4.2 mil in dead cap. But if he’s here he will take some snaps at linebacker.

CB

2021 Roster: Kendall Fuller (26), William Jackson (29), Benjamin St-Juste (24), Darryl Roberts (31), Danny Johnson (26), Torry McTyer (26), Corn Elder (27)

Expiring Contracts: Darryl Roberts, Danny Johnson, Torry McTyer, Corn Elder

Roster Spots: 5-6

Guaranteed on Roster 2022: Kendall Fuller, William Jackson, Benjamin St-Juste

Late Round Need: Probable

Comments: Kendall Fuller, William Jackson and St. Juste will all return. I know Jackson had a rocky start but he seems to have settled down later in the season and it isn’t practical to cut him next year (even as a post june 1st cut he’d be $8 mil in dead cap). Hopefully St. Juste will recover from his multiple concussions. These three will likely be the top of the depth chart at CB, but the issue is that all 3 are outside CBs and don’t really play the slot. We’ve resulted to playing Danny Johnson and Safety Bobby McCain in the slot for most of the season.  Actually slot CB has been a major issue for this defense for several seasons, they just never seem to fix it. If we were to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on defense instead of offense, taking a corner that excels in the slot would be a good place to use it. I don’t think I’m knowledgeable enough to look at the pending CB free agents to know who plays best in the slot, but it seems like we’ve tried to fill this role in free agency many times and it never seems to work. Perhaps taking a CB that falls in the draft due to a slower 40 time but who is an excellent tackler could be a good strategy with a later round pick.

S

2021 Roster: Bobby McCain (28), Kamren Curl (22), Landon Collins (27), Deshazor Everett (29), Darrick Forrest (22), Troy Apke (26),

Expiring Contracts: Bobby McCain, Troy Apke

Roster Spots: 4-5

Guaranteed on Roster 2022: Kamren Curl, Landon Collins

Round 2-3 Need: Yes

Late Round Need: Yes

Comments: Bobby McCain has played more than 92% of all defensive snaps this year, more than any other player on the roster.  I don’t know if that’s because he’s so versatile or if its just been out of necessity.  I know the Dolphins didn’t want the guy, and his PFF rating of 61.5 leaves a lot to be desired. But as of right now I’d say if we can retain him on a reasonable contract extension I would probably do it.  Honestly though an upgrade at the FS position is probably a need but even if we acquire a new starter at FS McCain can provide depth in multiple spots in the secondary. Similar to the slot CB position, if we want to spend a Round 2 or 3 pick on a defensive player this would be a good spot for one. Curl and Collins are both better playing SS, and Darrick Forrest has played a total of 6 defensive snaps all year. Apke will likely not be retained. A free agent acquisition at FS is a possibility, but with Landon Collins costing so much money that would be a lot of cap dedicated to the Safety position. Honestly a drafted safety would be the best solution, but we’d have to accept passing on upgrading a piece on offense in those early rounds.

RECAP OF DEFENSIVE NEEDS

We need to decide what to do with Daron Payne, either extend him or trade him. I’d like to bring in a veteran backup DE, and a veteran starting option at linebacker. The secondary needs some talent injection, with new blood at slot CB and a better starting option at FS. An investment of a 2nd or 3rd round pick at CB or FS may be necessary which will keep us from upgrading either the WR or RB position.

So that’s a wrap.  Let me know your thoughts, and feel free to tell me where you disagree. 

• Like 9

We have the 3rd best OL pass blocking grade in the NFL by this guys ratings. So, bringing back Leno on a 2 or 3 year deal is a must and bringing back Lucas as our swing OT. I think Charles & Wes S. battle it out to replace Scherff at RG. To me Keith Ismael can be our back up center and we can re-sign Larsen as a back up C/G also.

I do agree with you that we should take a guard to develop in the draft assuming we don’t re-sign Scherff. If we do that and Charles loses the starting RG competition to Wes S. which is very likely then Charles can continue to be developed as a back up swing OT for us. I’d take a guard to develop in the mid rounds or Kate, it just depends on how the draft falls and who the BPA’s are when we pick as we could use depth at multiple positions as you’ve pointed out.

I think at QB that we draft the best QB we can get in round 1. Then, we bring back Kyle Allen to compete with Heinicke  and the rookie for the starting job. The only thing that changes this is if we can sign Rodgers, or trade for Watson or Wilson which I doubt. I’m not one of the ones who thinks we should trade for or sign an average to good starter to just barely upgrade Heinicke or Allen, that makes no sense to me. Just draft someone & role w/ those 2 again to compete to be the starter.

I think re-signing DeAndre Carter, Leno, Lucas, McKissic, Sims and trading Payne while re-signing Settle are musts. To uograde running back we should draft Hassan Haskins from Michigan in round 4. He's a great short-yardage back and would be a great #2 to Gibby. Patterson can be our 4th RB or go on the practice squad next year.

I guess that @MKnight82doesn’t realize it but DaRon Payne has 4.5 sacks on the season and I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t get 1 or 2 more given how bad the interior the Eagles & Giants’ OL’s are. Seems like the perfect time to trade him as his value won’t likely be higher and we should want to re-sign Settle too to an Ioannidis type contract where he may start over Ioannidis but at worse split time w/ him.

I think we definitely need to upgrade LB both in the draft and FA. We can sign Eric Wilson to compete for a starting spot as we should’ve last year & one of the LBs that Mknight mentioned. Drafting a LB in round 2 or in the mid rounds & a late round LB should be done as well if there’s players worth taking.

I think we should re-sign Bobby McCain as he’s a good vet to have as mentor but I hope we can upgrade him at FS either in the draft or FA; more likely in round 2 of the draft. One way we could upgrade our FS position is by moving Kyle Fuller to FS and having Benjamin St. Juste start at outside CB opposite WJ3 then, we can sign a cheaper CB and draft a mid to late round 1 also. I don’t expect them to move Fuller to FS but it’s something they should try out in the off-season to see if he’s a better option than McCain or a rookie we draft there.

If we don’t take a QB, Kyle Hamilton of Notre Dame is a top 10 FS prospect who may be there for us if we don’t go QB. After that I’d take any of these in round 2:

1. Daxton Hill, Michigan

3. Jaquan Brisker, Penn State

4. Lewis Cine, Georgia 

5. Jordan Battle, Alabama 

6. Jalen Pitre, Baylor

We need to upgrade the slot Cb spot as Mknight said, maybe McCain could move there, I’d like to see him try. We can draft another mid to late round corner who’s a better fit for the slot. 

Edited by turtle28

Nicely done.  Some comments.

Have to resign McKissic.  He has been a key piece of the offense and I can't imagine he is going to cost all that much.

Agree we should try to resign RSJ.  

At WR, I would try to resign Carter and Cam Sims.  Humphries has had a few moments, but I would let him walk.  He was Fitz' guy.

Oline- So you pick up the 1 year 10 Million option on Flowers?
Agree we should make a go at both Leno and Lucas.  The draft will need to be watched closely for a interior lineman unless we use #10 on a LT.

Mccain's contract expires, he has been a problem as safety.  Let him walk.
I think we have to look for an upgrade in the draft.

14 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Nicely done.  Some comments.

Have to resign McKissic.  He has been a key piece of the offense and I can't imagine he is going to cost all that much.

Agree we should try to resign RSJ.  

At WR, I would try to resign Carter and Cam Sims.  Humphries has had a few moments, but I would let him walk.  He was Fitz' guy.

Oline- So you pick up the 1 year 10 Million option on Flowers?
Agree we should make a go at both Leno and Lucas.  The draft will need to be watched closely for a interior lineman unless we use #10 on a LT.

Mccain's contract expires, he has been a problem as safety.  Let him walk.
I think we have to look for an upgrade in the draft.

I think it's a no brainer to pick up Flowers’s $10 million extension. Rivera shouldn't have let him walk in 2019. We can't lose Flowers & Scherff in one offseason. $10mil is not a lot for a good starting guard.

I agree with the rest. I would say at Wr that we need to re-sign Carter & Sims too. Hopefully Samuel stays healthy next year and he can move to the Slot when we go 3-wide and Cam, Carter or Dyami Brown goes outside. We also could keep Samuel outside & have Carter play the slot.

I agree with the rest.

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think it's a no brainer to pick up Flowers’s $10 million extension. Rivera shouldn't have let him walk in 2019. We can't lose Flowers & Scherff in one offseason. $10mil is not a lot for a good starting guard.

I agree with the rest. I would say at Wr that we need to re-sign Carter & Sims too. Hopefully Samuel stays healthy next year and he can move to the Slot when we go 3-wide and Cam, Carter or Dyami Brown goes outside. We also could keep Samuel outside & have Carter play the slot.

I agree with the rest.

I am not opposed to paying Flowers the 10, but prefer trying to keep him for a couple years at a lower price.

I am with you at WR.  Even if samuels just gives us 9 games next year that is upgrade right there and at least one of these young guys has to improve.

8 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I am not opposed to paying Flowers the 10, but prefer trying to keep him for a couple years at a lower price.

I am with you at WR.  Even if samuels just gives us 9 games next year that is upgrade right there and at least one of these young guys has to improve.

Oh ok, in with that. I’d love to extend Flowers on a new deal so yes here for 3 more years. I want to give Leno a 3-year deal too & keep the left side together.

I certainly hope Samuel can play 14 plus genes next year line he usually did in Carolina. His group injury is heated, whats keeping him out now is a hamstring.

16 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

QB

2021 Roster: Taylor Heinicke (28), Ryan Fitzpatrick (39), Kyle Allen (25)

Expiring Contracts: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kyle Allen (RFA)

Roster Spots: 2-3

I'm with you. No reason not to bring Allen back as QB 2/3. The third QB in this formula is obviously not on the roster whether it is a rookie or a FA. 

HB

2021 Roster: Antonio Gibson (23), JD McKissic (28), Jaret Patterson (22)

Expiring Contracts: JD McKissic

If we can get JD back under the same contract, then by all means, bring him back. I am in full support of finding another, likely more traditional, RB in the middle rounds as well. 

TE

2021 Roster: Logan Thomas (30), John Bates (24), Ricky Seals-Jones (26), Sammis Reyes (26)

Expiring Contracts: Ricky Seals-Jones

I'm good with bringing back RSJ as competition. For what we all thought was once an incredibly weak position, it might be one of our more solid. 

WR

2021 Roster: Terry McLaurin (26), Curtis Samuel (25), Adam Humphries (28), Deandre Carter (28), Cam Sims (25), Dyami Brown (22), Antonio Gandy-Golden (23), Dax Milne (22)

Expiring Contracts: Cam Sims, Adam Humphries, Deandre Carter, Antonio Gandy Golden

Roster Spots: 6-7

Samuel has been a disaster thus far and an absolute waste but we're stuck with him. Humphries is likely 1 and done based on development. I think we lose Sims to someone paying a decent coin. Carter will likely get the biggest contract from us. My guess is McLaurin, Samuel, Milne, Carter, Brown, and we get a FA. 

OL

2021 Roster: LT Charles Leno (30), LG Ereck Flowers (27), OC Chase Roullier (28), Brandon Scherff (30), RT Sam Cosmi (22), OT Saahdiq Charles (22), OC Keith Ismael (23), OT Cornelius Lucas (30), G Wes Schweitzer (28), OC Tyler Larsen (30)

Expiring Contracts: RG Brandon Scherff, LT Charles Leno, OT Cornelius Lucas, OC Tyler Larsen

Roster Spots: 9-10

One of Scherff or Leno has to return (with Leno being the likely candidate). Lucas would be nice to bring back, but I think he's unhappy here now. I expect to pick another 1-2 OL in the draft. 

DE

2021 Roster: Montez Sweat (25), Chase Young (22), Casey Toohill (25), James Smith-Williams (24, Shaka Toney (23), Casey Toohill (25), Will Bradley-King (24)

Expiring Contracts: None

Guaranteed on Roster 2022: Montez Sweat, Chase Young

We need a veteran swing DE. 

DT

2021 Roster: Jonathan Allen (26), Daron Payne (24), Matt Ioannidis (27), Tim Settle (24)

Expiring Contracts: Tim Settle

Roster Spots: 4

Gonna be VERY interesting to see what happens here. I assume Settle is gone. Could one of The Greek or Payne be gone too? 

LB

2021 Roster: Jamin Davis (23), Cole Holcomb (25), Jon Bostic (30), Khaleke Hudson (24), David Mayo (28)

Expiring Contracts: Jon Bostic, David Mayo

The worst, thinnest group of the bunch. Needs major work this offseason. 

CB

2021 Roster: Kendall Fuller (26), William Jackson (29), Benjamin St-Juste (24), Darryl Roberts (31), Danny Johnson (26), Torry McTyer (26), Corn Elder (27)

Expiring Contracts: Darryl Roberts, Danny Johnson, Torry McTyer, Corn Elder

Roster Spots: 5-6

They might get a late round draft pick, but if Roberts is back, I expect this to stay the same. 

S

2021 Roster: Bobby McCain (28), Kamren Curl (22), Landon Collins (27), Deshazor Everett (29), Darrick Forrest (22), Troy Apke (26),

Expiring Contracts: Bobby McCain, Troy Apke

Roster Spots: 4-5

Gonna be interesting to see how Collins unfolds. We need someone to compliment Curl too. McCain is gone imo. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

If we can get JD back under the same contract, then by all means, bring him back.

Well the idea was that if we draft a RB in round 2 or 3 and he becomes the main back, Gibson falls back into the pass catcher change of pace role which leaves no carries for JD. I do concede that I think its unlikely the coaching staff bails on Gibson as the main back, so bringing JD back and taking a late round flyer on a RB might be more realistic for what they actually do.  

My guess is McLaurin, Samuel, Milne, Carter, Brown, and we get a FA. 

I don't think that is enough.  Like you said anything we get out of Samuel is gravy but we can't count on him for anything.  We need to draft someone talented to add to the WR depth imo. 

McCain is gone imo. 

The idea is that even if he has a reduced role he still provides depth at multiple spots.  Would have to be a reasonably cheap contract though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:
3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

My guess is McLaurin, Samuel, Milne, Carter, Brown, and we get a FA. 

I don't think that is enough.  Like you said anything we get out of Samuel is gravy but we can't count on him for anything.  We need to draft someone talented to add to the WR depth imo. 

Here's the issue at WR. We paid Samuel to be a starter, he makes $13 million next year.   We have to extend Terry or should this Feb/March so he never hits free agency. His cap # won't increase for next year but still, we shouldn’t see sign a 3rd WR to pay them more than $5 mil or more on a 3-4 year contract.

We could take a WR in round 2 or 3 but we just drafted Dyami Brown, we should bring back Carter for sure & I would rather bring back Sims than sign another team's FA WR bc IMO of continuity. I'd have no problem giving Sims a 3-year $7 to 9 million deal.

To me, I don't see us investing much more in the Wr position other than re-signing Carter & Sims to similar deals.

Rather than another take a WR in rounds 2-4, I think we should draft a FS, LB & RB.

• 2 weeks later...