Positional Needs Heading into the Offseason

MKnight82

This was already in the WFT current Players thread but, Charles Leno was re-signed, so that takes OT off the board in the first few rounds IMO. 

If Lucas signs somewhere else so he can have a chance to start - like back in Chicago - then I suggest we take an OT in the mid-rounds. 

Round 1: Sam Howell, QB,UNC (Corral & Pickett go top 10, we pick at 11th after beating the Giants)

Round 2: Lewis Cine, FS, Georgia 

Round 3: Damone Clark, MLB, LSU 

Round 4: Arnold Ebiketie, DE, Penn State

Round 6: Aaron Hansford, MLB, Texas A&M 

Round 7: Zamir White, RB, Georgia

52 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

one constant with our defense has been a bad linebacking core, we need to upgrade it desperately 

Definitely, well that and FS have been the two glaring needs of this defense for some time. We haven’t had a better than average LB play since Fletcher left. 

I’m really hopeful that Holcomb & Davis develop more over the off-season into good solid OLBs, but we need to either draft a stud in the middle or find a good vet we can rely on to man the middle.

59 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

one constant with our defense has been a bad linebacking core, we need to upgrade it desperately 

I would say the biggest needs on defense are probably MLB, FS and slot CB. Unfortunately they all cover the middle of the field. 

For me our needs in order are:
QBotF (if its a stopgap, don't bother)
MLB (Our LBs were largely terrible this year, but we really need a leader in the middle)
RG (Brandon Scherff is definitely gone)
FS (Preferably not some outcast from elsewhere and he needs to be able to cover)
WR (We need a possession receiver that we can count on when Terry is blanketed)
QB (This is any competition for Heinicke if they don't obtain QBotF)
OLB (I am not sure either Davis or Holcomb are the answers)
CB (Mostly depth. Gotta figure out how to get out of zone coverage with 10+ yard cushions JDR...)
RB (if McKissic is not resigned this is much higher)
K (Definitely not a bad idea to bring in competition. I know Slye made all his kicks, but he shouldn't be handed the job)
TE (Liked what Bates did in blocking, receiving is very limited, but we said that about Logan Thomas early on too, Sammis Reyes showed very little)

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

Sammis Reyes showed very little

He's greener than Kermit the frog ~! He was recently tracked at 20 mph ! and he's 260 lbs. Physical specimin. Coaches said he was making progress tracking passes.. Hope he makes a leap next year !

• Like 1

IMO the Biggest needs on Offense:

QB, RB, healthy L Thomas, healthy C Samuel, healthy Chase  I think we have enough talent at WR we just need someone who can get them the ball  Chase is a big deal since the C is the qb of the O line, that’s not an easy injury to come back from Logan Thomas coming back with Bates and RSJ with Reyes coming along TE seems ok. Getting JD back as a 3rd down back/change of pace. AG who seems to be always having a weekly injury. I would use AG like Percy Harvin move him out from RB. J Patterson to me is a change of pace back  I think we could use a full time back who can withstand a full season  

Defense:

MLB, Need someone to solidify the LB position with CH and JD  

CB, Always need db help especially in the slot  

FS, Need a really good centerfielder to be your qb back there  

Always could use more o line depth. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

I’m not saying we shouldn’t draft an OL to develop - especially if we lose Lucas in FA but I think people are greatly over exaggerating the need for upgrades on our OL.

Can someone please tell me what’s wrong with our OL? 

LT: Leno, Lucas? If not, draft an OT mid rounds

LG: Flowers, Charles

C : Roullier, Ismael

RG: Scherweitzer, Spencer Larsen

RT: Cosmi

Our depth was solid this year considering how many injuries we had along the OL. It was certainly our best OL depth I can ever remember. Usually when we have a major injury at a position we’re scrambling around and signing people off the street, we didn’t have to do that this year and while Ismael & Charles were certainly a step down from the vets they replaced, they were also rookies in terms of playing time & in 2020 they didn’t have a real off-season bc of Covid.

I’m also not buying into the “let’s change our 1,000 yard running backs position in his 3rd year” just because. 

We could find more creative ways to get Gibson the ball quickly & in space - just like we need to do with Terry too & I hope we do with Samuel next year but, I don’t endorse changing Gibson’s position in this offense. There’s nothing wrong with Gibson, we just need to get him the ball in space more so he can make more big plays.

What we need is better QB play, for Curtis Samuel to stay healthy, for Logan Thomas to get and stay healthy, to re-sign McKissic, DeAndre Carter & Cam Sims and for Dyami Brown & DeAndre Carter to develop into better WRs so that Carter can be our slot WR next year or Samuel can be our slot WR with Dyami Brown as our #2 outside WR.