Positional Needs Heading into the Offseason

MKnight82

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

So we’re going to cut what was possibly our best defender for the second half of the season so we can put a guy on the field who looked like he’d never played football before? 

If you're honestly suggesting starting a converted safety at linebacker over a player we used a first round pick on at linebacker then you're nuts. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If you're honestly suggesting starting a converted safety at linebacker over a player we used a first round pick on at linebacker then you're nuts. 

You can continue playing Collins in the role he played. They played David Mayo over Jamin Davis. If you think me suggesting playing Collins over him is nuts then I’m not sure how you can continue being one of this coaching staffs most staunch supporters? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

You can continue playing Collins in the role he played. They played David Mayo over Jamin Davis. If you think me suggesting playing Collins over him is nuts then I’m not sure how you can continue being one of this coaching staffs most staunch supporters? 

We're not going to have the same roster next year.  And Davis is a raw prospect, you have to play him for him to get better.  I know you hate him but we spent a 1st on him, he needs to play. If we sign a veteran linebacker in free agency (which we need to do) there won't be any snaps left for Collins.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We're not going to have the same roster next year.  And Davis is a raw prospect, you have to play him for him to get better.  I know you hate him but we spent a 1st on him, he needs to play. If we sign a veteran linebacker in free agency (which we need to do) there won't be any snaps left for Collins.  

Hate is a strong word. Do I think he was extremely overdrafted and had no business being a first round pick? Yes. I just don’t agree with cutting Collins after they finally figured out where to put him and have him succeed. Again, he was far and away this teams best defender in the second half of the season. He was basically the defenses only playmaker. I wouldn’t cut him. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

Hate is a strong word. Do I think he was extremely overdrafted and had no business being a first round pick? Yes. I just don’t agree with cutting Collins after they finally figured out where to put him and have him succeed. Again, he was far and away this teams best defender in the second half of the season. He was basically the defenses only playmaker. I wouldn’t cut him. 

I think you're exaggerating the impact Collins had. 

38 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It's a tough decision with Collins. I guess it comes down to if you think “we’re close” or not. Personally, I don't think we're that close to being a contender. Since that's the case, I chose the young guy and go forward without looking back. I really really like Collins, but he's not worth his contract and he's stopping a young player with possibly a bright future from starting that we just spent a 1st round pick on.

Even if Collins restructured his contract I’d have a tough time justifying keeping him given this teams continued youth movement. We have two young WLB’s, Jamin & Hudson. I say go forward with them, draft/sign two MLB's & a backup SLB to Holcomb.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

It's a tough decision with Collins. I guess it comes down to if you think “we’re close” oI not. Personally, I don't think we're that close to being a contender. Since that's the case, I chose the young guy and go forward without looking back.

Uhh we’re going into year 3 of this regime. They better find a way to get close real fast. 

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Uhh we’re going into year 3 of this regime. They better find a way to get close real fast. 

So we’re going to stop doing a true rebuild the 3rd year in for the 1st time since the mid 90s?

We’ve all wanted to draft a QB to develop rather than even trade for a veteran. The drafting of a QB and waiting for him to develop is going to take time in itself. I know it sucks, but I think we're still a few years away from what we really want with this team.

Doing a true blow-up and rebuild takes time. We were a 3-13 team that needed a lot of upgrades.

I really really like Collins, but he's not worth his contract and he's stopping a young player with possibly a bright future from starting that we just spent a 1st round pick on.

Even if Collins restructured his contract I’d have a tough time justifying keeping him given this teams continued youth movement. We have two young WLB’s, Jamin & Hudson. I say go forward with them, draft/sign two MLB's & a backup SLB to Holcomb.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

So we’re going to stop doing a true rebuild the 3rd year in for the 1st time since the mid 90s?

We’ve all wanted to draft a QB to develop rather than even trade for a veteran. The drafting of a QB and waiting for him to develop is going to take time in itself. I know it ducks, but I think we're still a few years away from what we really want with this team.

Doing a true blow-up and rebuild takes time. We were a 3-13 team that needed a lot of upgrades.

I really really like Collins, but he's not worth his contract and he's stopping a young player with possibly a bright future from starting that we just spent a 1st round pick on.

This isn’t a true rebuild. When we decided to go after a meaningless division championship year one that ended the whole “true rebuild” deal. Even Rivera himself said this wasn’t a rebuild. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This isn’t a true rebuild. When we decided to go after a meaningless division championship year one that ended the whole “true rebuild” deal. Even Rivera himself said this wasn’t a rebuild. 

Regardless we aren't close, Snyder isn't firing Rivera. He's going to have time to continue to build this thing the way he wants to and we’ll see what happens.

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You don't have to tank to rebuild. 

Can I show Landon Collins the door? The knucklehead still probably thinks he is more of a safety. There's a reason he kept getting injured because he's about 10-15 pounds light at linebacker and who knows if he is willing to bulk up to pay the position. The team played some of his best defense against the Raiders when he was out. The team can do without him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Also the press release about Brandon Scherff turning down a deal feels like the same PR smear campaign we do for every player that's about to leave. 

well why should they be the bad guys. Brandon is out here saying he wants to be here and it makes the org look bad since he is turning down the contracts.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, taylor made said:

Can I show Landon Collins the door? The knucklehead still probably thinks he is more of a safety. There's a reason he kept getting injured because he's about 10-15 pounds light at linebacker and who knows if he is willing to bulk up to pay the position. The team played some of his best defense against the Raiders when he was out. The team can do without him.

He tore his achillies last year when he was playing safety. He hurt his foot this year, that could literally happen anywhere on the field. I don't think his size is the reason he had those two injuries the last two years. 

Collins & JOK are just about the same size. I just don't see the correlation.

Edited by turtle28