y2lamanaki

The battle at HB (#2)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the backup job?

• Kapri Bibbs
    • Matt Breida
    • Tim Hightower
    • Joe Williams
    • Carlos Hyde (One of the above four steal the starting job)
  2. 2. Who won't make the 53-man roster?

• Kapri Bibbs
    • Matt Breida
    • Tim Hightower

2 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

John Lynch has shown every signs of being a good GM so far, so maybe he'd do Hightower a favor by not having him be a third stringer on a rebuilding team (assuming any other team would want him). So in my mind, it's more about the addition of Williams than Breida's. Hightower thought he had a decent chance of being a #2. I don't know. Maybe he's fine with being a #3. Maybe no other team even offered him a contract at the time we did, and there really isn't a market for him. Maybe he starts the year with us, but if we like Breida, and there seems to be a possibility he gets signed off the PS (I'm assuming that's where he's heading), then maybe we cut Hightower, since we're not going anywhere this year anyway. So I'll change my statement. His chances of making the roster are decent. And then, there's the risk of injuries, that might cement his roster spot. But if there's no major injury, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't end the year on the team. 

Yeah, I agree about Breida. Right now, I figure practice squad, but if he shows a little bit of something, then you absolutely have to cut Hightower (if we are only keeping 3 traditional running backs) and keep him on the active roster. 

We're in a position where we can allow young guys to make mistakes. Then again, we're in a position where a veteran like Hightower can teach the young guys a whole lot. So, there's no wrong decision, unless keeping Hightower means losing Breida and goes elsewhere and becomes a star. Not necessarily likely to happen, but if it did, I'd hate Hightower forever. Tim Hightower, I mean. Not Hightower from Police Academy. I'll always respect him.

31 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

We're in a position where we can allow young guys to make mistakes. Then again, we're in a position where a veteran like Hightower can teach the young guys a whole lot.

I agree with this view of the situation. It's how I feel about Hightower. Won't be upset one way or the other. Unless he has a pathetic preseason and is kept over someone more promising. Then there will be concerns. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

Would love to know how accurate this is...I mean, if Hightower was working his way up and is with the 1s, and Breida is working his way up and is with the 2s....who's going down?

Carlos Hyde. I mean, it sounds ridiculous, but if the rumors that we were shopping during  the offseason, all the talk from some people that he could be a "surprise cut", etc etc, then I think that we can start to believe there the staff isn't completely enamored with him. At some point, when there's smoke, there's fire. It may not be that they hate him or anything, I just don't believe that he's viewed as the guy either. I still don't believe that we will cut him, but I don't think that he gets the "lion share" of carries if we keep him on the roster this year. I think it will be way more committee oriented, and not just between 2 guys. 

There's also the Williams possibility. He gets a bit more of a pass for being Shanny's guy though. He will get his chances no matter how he looks during TC and preseason, I think. 

I just hope that before we do anything completely drastic at the running back position, that we give Breida legit shots against starter like defenses in the preseason if he continues to rip up TC. That would be rookie mini camp, training camp, etc. If they think that there's a real possibility that they want to move on from Hyde, even if it's by releasing him (again, not something I'm completely in favor of, but would only be somewhat of a surprise), then they really learn what they have in a guy like Breida and not rely on performances against 3rd and 4th string defenders during preseason and various mini camps and training camps. 

16 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Would love to know how accurate this is...I mean, if Hightower was working his way up and is with the 1s, and Breida is working his way up and is with the 2s....who's going down?

Haha I'm fairly certain I read an article just the other day about how he was one of the 'T-Shirt' guys. Granted it was Cohn, so obviously that's not worth much if anything.

The Tim Hightower hype train is real. He received the first rep in 11-on-11s at running back, took a screen pass 50 yards down the field and has been running the outside zone-schemed plays with much success. It wasn’t Carlos Hyde’s best day either. He fumbled a toss early in practice and right now appears neck-and-neck with Hightower for the starting spot early in camp. Shanahan has long said evaluating running backs is very difficult until preseason games happen. For that reason, quiet starts from rookies Joe Williams and Matt Breida should be taken with a grain of salt. For what it’s worth, Breida has had more big plays than Williams. They’re both going to get their chance. Raheem Mostert and Kapri Bibbs are also garnering carries.

http://www.knbr.com/2017/07/31/49ers-camp-observations-two-undrafted-players-making-waves-in-santa-clara/

So Kevin Jones thinks Hyde/Hightower will be battling for the starting gig. Guess the loser of the competition becomes the back up.......Williams doesn't seem to be in the conversation though. Kind of disappointing.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying to trade Hyde personally. I doubt we are going to resign him, and if everything keeps going the way it appears to be going, Hyde isn't going to see a ton of action anyways. I'd take a mid rounder for Hyde without hesitation. 

Archived