y2lamanaki

The battle at HB (#2)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the backup job?

• Kapri Bibbs
    • Matt Breida
    • Tim Hightower
    • Joe Williams
    • Carlos Hyde (One of the above four steal the starting job)
  2. 2. Who won't make the 53-man roster?

• Kapri Bibbs
    • Matt Breida
    • Tim Hightower

21 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to trying to trade Hyde personally. I doubt we are going to resign him, and if everything keeps going the way it appears to be going, Hyde isn't going to see a ton of action anyways. I'd take a mid rounder for Hyde without hesitation. 

I'm not opposed to a trade either. The question is: is Hyde a cornerstone of what we're building for the future? If he's not, and he's deemed replaceable, and he has any sort of value (maybe wait until a team suffers an important injury at the position), then it would be stupid not to trade him. Hightower could man the job until a young guy takes over, if that even happens. If Hyde is just going to be one of the guys and we let him walk for nothing next offseason, it wouldn't be the best asset management. Then again, maybe no team is going to invest capital in order to get him. But if a team wants him, we should take the deal.

Is Carlos Hyde being challenged or does he look like the clear starter? (Josh Gale) 
It was a good first week of practices for Hyde, who appears – right now – to be set as the team’s starting running back. Veteran Tim Hightower appears to be the team’s second-best running back.

Hyde looks to be adapting better and better to the 49ers’ run scheme. And he has also placed a lot of emphasis on catching the ball out of the backfield.

Rookie Joe Williams, a fourth-round draft pick who was seen as a serious challenger to Hyde, has gotten off to a slow start and he is still gaining familarity with the system. He also must do a better job of securing the football.

^From Maiocco

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-mailbag-brown-gets-rocky-start

4 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Ball security was an issue in college for Williams too. No quicker way to make sure that you don't see the field than by putting the ball on the ground. He definitely needs to fix that. 

I really like that Hyde is adjusting to the scheme well. That has long been my biggest concern with him going into this off season (well, that and his lack of long speed, but that's not exactly something that can be fixed without a considerable physical change). 

Not hearing much, if anything on Bibbs. Not a good sign for him - Williams is pretty much protected for at least a year regardless of how he looks. Very few 4th round picks get blasted their first season. With Breida excelling, he's got to be feeling the heat to stay on the roster. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not hearing much, if anything on Bibbs. Not a good sign for him - Williams is pretty much protected for at least a year regardless of how he looks. Very few 4th round picks get blasted their first season. With Breida excelling, he's got to be feeling the heat to stay on the roster. 

Definitely agreed that it's not a good sign for Bibbs. No reason to keep him around if Breida continues to perform well and he doesn't show up. Preseason will be key for backs, though. 

And yeah - no reason to cut Williams in his first year regardless. If we were a team ready to compete and had a stacked roster and needed those spots - maybe. Otherwise, we can let guys in the top 5 develop for at least a year. But it might mean he's inactive on gamedays. 

7 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Definitely agreed that it's not a good sign for Bibbs. No reason to keep him around if Breida continues to perform well and he doesn't show up. Preseason will be key for backs, though. 

And yeah - no reason to cut Williams in his first year regardless. If we were a team ready to compete and had a stacked roster and needed those spots - maybe. Otherwise, we can let guys in the top 5 develop for at least a year. But it might mean he's inactive on gamedays. 

I keep forgetting Bibbs even exists. I'm sure his wikipedia page simply says : "Actually exists".

On 7/22/2017 at 4:05 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think it is going to come down to Williams and Hightower. It could go either way. If I had to guess, the top three will end up being:

1. Hyde

2. Williams

3. Hightower

Looks like #2 and #3 will be flipped.

Btw, if you ask Grant Cohn, it is only a matter of time until Williams becomes the starter.....Um, lets have the man get some 2nd team reps before we think about him starting. Heck, right now Brieda may be ahead of him on the depth chart. According to Schefter, he said talking to his 49ers sources, Brieda will be definitely make the 53 man roster. 

On 8/2/2017 at 1:06 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

According to Schefter, he said talking to his 49ers sources, Brieda will be definitely make the 53 man roster.

I hope that is true, I really like our udfa class this year and could see 3 easily making the 53, possibly even 4 depending on how James plays on ST.

5 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I hope that is true, I really like our udfa class this year and could see 3 easily making the 53, possibly even 4 depending on how James plays on ST.

Jerome, Hikutini, Breida, Bolden, James, Daryll Williams Jr. thats 6 I count with chances at the 53

3 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Jerome, Hikutini, Breida, Bolden, James, Daryll Williams Jr. thats 6 I count with chances at the 53

I think two have a better than 50% chance as of this moment, Breida and Jerome, and i think both are likely to make the squad. Cole i think is a coin flip and will largely depend on what we do with Vance. I'd say the other three are all very unlikely to make the team without a monster preseason and destined to hit the PS

18 hours ago, Forge said:

I think two have a better than 50% chance as of this moment, Breida and Jerome, and i think both are likely to make the squad. Cole i think is a coin flip and will largely depend on what we do with Vance. I'd say the other three are all very unlikely to make the team without a monster preseason and destined to hit the PS

I think I expect a lot more parody in the roster moves then, I think as a whole this new staff/FO is going to take chances on young unproven guys. I also dont want to to see this team let another Marcus Cooper-esque player get away. 

5 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think I expect a lot more parody in the roster moves then, I think as a whole this new staff/FO is going to take chances on young unproven guys. I also dont want to to see this team let another Marcus Cooper-esque player get away. 

It's definitely more likely than not that we'll keep young players brought in over holdovers if the competition is close. I imagine it's easier to mold those guys who are untainted by former failed regimes. But I would not keep a player obviously not as strong as a holdover just because they're new. So...I don't know, I have to agree with @Forge. I think right now Jerome and Breida both seem likely (more due to a lack of depth in the case of Jerome and Breida competing with other players brought in by this regime), Hikutini dependent on a strong training camp/preseason (which he's had thus far). Other than that, James, Bolden Jr., Bourne, and Williams have all been making early noise, but it's hard to say any of them have been making any more noise than any of the other holdovers. Maybe James. 

The flip side of this - just because a player is making noise on this roster doesn't mean that they would be at all coveted by other teams. A guy like James playing well and possibly better than Sunseri? Cool. But that's not necessarily impressive in the grand scheme of the NFL. Thus - guys like those in that latter group could be safely stashed on the practice squad in favor of more ready players. So - unless they have monster preseasons where the other teams would take notice, there's not a need to keep for the sake of keeping. The league knows as well as we do that the 49ers are a bottom of the NFL roster. If we're cutting guys - they're likely on their way out if they aren't on our DL. Same as players that might look promising on the Jets will get cut, and most won't even give it a second thought. 

Archived