The future of Darren Waller as a Raider

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Waller?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do wither Waller?

• Re-sign him to a huge money deal (Likely becoming the highest paid TE, $15M+ per season)
    • Trade him for a large package while we can (Picks and/or prospects?)
    • He should honor his contract so stay put (If/when he asks for more money, don't budge and force him to sit out if he refuses to play)

USATSI_14962831_168392742_lowres.jpg?w=9

There was some interesting discussion about Waller in a different thread which sparked some varying takes:

There is little doubt from a talent stand point Darren Waller is not only our best player, but one of the premiere players at his position. He is a WR in a TE body with very little weaknesses in his game. When creating the perfect pass-catching TE in the lab, you'd mock up Darren Waller.

However, he is going to turn 29 once the season starts and will likely demand a huge contract this offseason (Currently has an average salary of ~$7.5M which is FAR below his value + he hired new representation earlier this year). He has also struggled to stay healthy this year/underperformed in general, only playing in 10 games, less than 650 receieving yards and a couple TDs.

What would you do as GM given the above? He is without a doubt an elite and rare talent. He is going to (very likely) need to be given out an enormous deal shortly. He is already nearing 29, however he should have lots of tread left as he didn't get lots of PT until the past couple years.

Edited by RaidersAreOne

I personally can see both sides to the argument.

On one hand it would be very Raider-esque to trade an elite prospect rather than shelling out a huge contract (Vibes of the Mack trade). Even if we are to rebuild and get a new QB, there wouldn't be a better player to help pair him with and grow our O than Waller. We need to prove to other players we take care of our own.

On the other, if we truly are rebuilding and starting from scratch, getting a large trade package for a soon-to-be massively paid, nearing 30 year old could be enticing. Does it make sense sinking a ton of resources into a TE of all positions?

I'm not vying for either option, I just don't think it's as black/white as some are making it seem.

I voted to trade him.  And I hate it.  

I'm still in the trade everything camp and restart.  This includes Darren, Derek, and anything else that has reasonable value.  Target age of 26/27 to retain younger inexpensive talent.  Build through the draft and SMART free agency moves.  

I brought this topic up a month or so ago in another thread.  If we can get a first round pick (I specifically labeled it a top ten) you do that.  Darren is kissing 30, will want a monster deal soon, we haven't won WITH him, and are honestly wasting him.  Let him go chase greatness elsewhere.  My 0.02.

• Like 1

The "he should honor his contract to stay put" is the definition of a pipe dream. We took a risk on him before he had really proven to be a top tier player and it paid off. But he's going to be 30 years old and has dealt with numerous injuries this season. Austin Hooper, Jonu Smith, and Hunter Henry are all making $10-12.5M per year and aren't even close to Waller. He's going to want an extension that provides a pay raise and long term security, he has earned it. So the decision will really become does the front office want to pay him as he's getting older or try to trade him now while he still has value. 

We've seen Jimmy Graham who's a fairly similar player to Waller go from being a top tier TE at 30 to being absolutely washed as he got older. 

I'd like to have Waller back and understand that he needs a new deal, if we are going to do it though I'd prefer that the deal be front loaded and/or include a huge signing bonus so that if he does decline we can move on without major cap implications. 

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I personally can see both sides to the argument.

On one hand it would be very Raider-esque to trade an elite prospect rather than shelling out a huge contract (Vibes of the Mack trade). Even if we are to rebuild and get a new QB, there wouldn't be a better player to help pair him with and grow our O than Waller. We need to prove to other players we take care of our own.

The Mack trade was completely different he was younger and played a premium position, he deserved a massive deal. An elite TE is definitely nice to have but it isn't required to be good, an elite pass rush is the foundation of a defense that can win in the postseason. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Totty said:

I voted to trade him.  And I hate it.  

I'm still in the trade everything camp and restart.  This includes Darren, Derek, and anything else that has reasonable value.  Target age of 26/27 to retain younger inexpensive talent.  Build through the draft and SMART free agency moves.  

I brought this topic up a month or so ago in another thread.  If we can get a first round pick (I specifically labeled it a top ten) you do that.  Darren is kissing 30, will want a monster deal soon, we haven't won WITH him, and are honestly wasting him.  Let him go chase greatness elsewhere.  My 0.02.

What about trading Waller for Davante Adams.  We will not be able to trade him to a contender and get a top ten pick at the same time.  Maybe trade him to the Vikings who are picking #12 right now.  Cook, Thielen, Jefferson, and Waller would be insane together.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

What about trading Waller for Davante Adams.  We will not be able to trade him to a contender and get a top ten pick at the same time.  Maybe trade him to the Vikings who are picking #12 right now.  Cook, Thielen, Jefferson, and Waller would be insane together.

Why would the Packers do that? If they're moving on from Adams it means that Rodgers is going to be leaving too.

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Why would the Packers do that? If they're moving on from Adams it means that Rodgers is going to be leaving too.

It gives Waller a chance to play with a more established franchise, a young QBs best friend is a reliable TE, get a top player for Adams instead of the draft lottery, and it is a close trade in value.  You never know with Rodgers.  

I chose trade out of the options given. 

I'm not sure making him the highest paid TE in the league would help us long term. 

Sitting him out isn't good for us either. 

Given the option, I would try to extend him to a good, fair deal for a to-be 30 year old TE coming off of a down season with injuries. I wouldn't low ball him, but I would give him a good deal with a lot of potential incentives to try and guard against slightly bigger deals. If that extension offer doesn't work in 2022, I trade him with the last year on his contract. Someone would gladly trade for him on a 1 year 6.25m deal just to get him under contract and have the benefit of first dibs at a new deal for themselves instead of him hitting the open market. 

• Like 4

You don’t trade top talent. JFC!! Pay him which he deserves. This team is fighting for a playoff spot despite have **** for a coaching staff and a not so talented roster. They have loads of money go into the offseason and get talent. 

Trading him is really the dumbest thing the Raiders could do. Hilarious that it’s even a  discussion. 

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

It gives Waller a chance to play with a more established franchise, a young QBs best friend is a reliable TE, get a top player for Adams instead of the draft lottery, and it is a close trade in value.  You never know with Rodgers.  

Waller isn't going to want to play with Jordan Love.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Rodgers and Adams come to Vegas together. Then trade Carr. Make it happen.

37 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

You don’t trade top talent. JFC!! Pay him which he deserves. This team is fighting for a playoff spot despite have **** for a coaching staff and a not so talented roster. They have loads of money go into the offseason and get talent. 

Trading him is really the dumbest thing the Raiders could do. Hilarious that it’s even a  discussion. 

In 2 years when Waller is making $18M

q1b7zqabapzki7ofaqii.jpg

57 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Waller isn't going to want to play with Jordan Love.

If Rodgers gets Waller he might stay.  You can not assume that Rodgers is gone no matter what.

49 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Rodgers and Adams come to Vegas together. Then trade Carr. Make it happen.

I think Adam wants to play with Carr more than with the Raiders.  I believe we would have to hold onto Carr to get Adams.