The future of Darren Waller as a Raider

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Waller?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do wither Waller?

• Re-sign him to a huge money deal (Likely becoming the highest paid TE, $15M+ per season)
    • Trade him for a large package while we can (Picks and/or prospects?)
    • He should honor his contract so stay put (If/when he asks for more money, don't budge and force him to sit out if he refuses to play)

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

If Rodgers gets Waller he might stay.  You can not assume that Rodgers is gone no matter what.

I could see them trading their pick for Waller if they retain Adams and Rodgers. I'd prefer to have Adams and Waller in Vegas though.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I could see them trading their pick for Waller if they retain Adams and Rodgers. I'd prefer to have Adams and Waller in Vegas though.

I would too but Adams and Waller will probably end up the highest paid players at their positions.  That will be close to $45 million.  Carr probably gets $35 and Miller will average just under $14.  That would be $94 for 4 players.  Then we want to pay Ngakoue, Crosby, and Renfrow.  That would be another $40.  We would have $134 locked up in 7 players.  We would have to get good at drafting really fast and stop giving stupid money to back up players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jimmy Graham had 900 yards at 30 years old and has only cracked 500+ once in the last 5 seasons.

Cool cause it happened to him means it’s gonna happen to Waller. 

This fan base. Same ones wanting to trade Waller will be the first to come here a ***** on a Sunday when he goes off. 

• Like 1

Just now, agarcia34 said:

Cool cause it happened to him means it’s gonna happen to Waller. 

This fan base. Same ones wanting to trade Waller will be the first to come here a ***** on a Sunday when he goes off. 

Waller is elite because he's big and fast, as soon as he loses a step he loses the one thing that makes him so great. I personally don't want to trade Waller as I said earlier but I know he's going to want a huge deal. So I just hope that if we do resign him we front load the deal with a large signing bonus so we can pivot away if he continues to decline like he did this season.

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I would too but Adams and Waller will probably end up the highest paid players at their positions.  That will be close to $45 million.  Carr probably gets $35 and Miller will average just under $14.  That would be $94 for 4 players.  Then we want to pay Ngakoue, Crosby, and Renfrow.  That would be another $40.  We would have $134 locked up in 7 players.  We would have to get good at drafting really fast and stop giving stupid money to back up players.

It'd require some cap gymnastics but we could make it work with signing bonuses and moving GTD money around.

I agree option 3 is a pipe dream. It's very wishful thinking but I hope Waller realizes what this franchise did for him and his life. However I fully understand it's a business. One where he know he's already nearing 30 and is criminally underpaid. Here's the TE's being paid more than Darren Waller on an annual basis:

- George Kittle
- Travis Kelce
- Dallas Goedert
- Mark Andrews
- Hunter Henry
- Jonnu Smith
- Austin Hooper
- Zach Ertz
- Kyle Pitts
- Logan Thomas
- Jimmy Graham
- Rob Gronkowski

Not to mention he hired new representation with Klutch Sports this September. Why else would you make that move if you're comfortable staying put in your contract for another 3 years? Do people think Darren will be content with being paid half of what he should until he is 33? Dude is looking for that homerun pay day and quite frankly $7.5M is laughable for a guy of his calibre.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I agree option 3 is a pipe dream. It's very wishful thinking but I hope Waller realizes what this franchise did for him and his life. However I fully understand it's a business. One where he know he's already nearing 30 and is criminally underpaid. Here's the TE's being paid more than Darren Waller on an annual basis:

He is criminally underpaid but when we gave him the extension we were taking a major leap of faith with him. He only had 55 career receptions when we gave him that deal and he could've completely flamed out. I agree that he's underpaid and deserves a new deal. 

Kelce got 4 yr/$57M, Andrews got 4 yr/$56M, and Kittle got 5 yr/$75M. So I'm assuming he'll be seeking something along the lines of 3 yr/$45M or 4 yr/$60M.

I votes trade strictly because of his age and his availability this year alone. I love the guy and want him to retire a Raider. BUT if you trade him and get a nice haul of players or picks or a combo. Then use the 15 mil he should have been making on a guy like Adams or even a Gallup. That makes more sense to me. If Adams makes 20 a yr then 15 you could count as coming from Wallers salary. BUT as much as I like Adams. I am not a fan of paying top money to anyone 30 or older. Not that they don't deserve it. And not that they won't play out the contract and continue to be elite. I just don't like it because odds are somewhere between 30 amd 32 they will most likely lose a step. So if you still have them under contract until say 34 or 35 then those later years will be horrible. BUT we could probably get around that as well with front loaded deals that don't have much dead money after yr 2 or 3. The last thing is it hamstrings the cap. While we may be rebuilding. We do have some younger guys performing that we need to resign.  Waller contract might cover Renfrow and one other guy. Or at least come close. Anyway that's what I voted for with those options. What I hope is we can pay him 10ish for say 2 to 3 yrs. THEN trade him while his numbers are good and right before he declines.

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Waller is elite because he's big and fast, as soon as he loses a step he loses the one thing that makes him so great. I personally don't want to trade Waller as I said earlier but I know he's going to want a huge deal. So I just hope that if we do resign him we front load the deal with a large signing bonus so we can pivot away if he continues to decline like he did this season.

In theory Waller has less mileage on him and up until this year been relatively healthy. I think the Graham comp is a little extreme. Doesn’t a lot of this hinge on what the team does with Carr ?.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 9:50 PM, NickButera said:

Need to keep him. We have no other offensive threats, might as well keep the one great thing we have 

He has missed the last 6 games, will miss this week, and will likely miss next week as well.