The future of Darren Waller as a Raider

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Waller?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do wither Waller?

• Re-sign him to a huge money deal (Likely becoming the highest paid TE, $15M+ per season)
    • Trade him for a large package while we can (Picks and/or prospects?)
    • He should honor his contract so stay put (If/when he asks for more money, don't budge and force him to sit out if he refuses to play)

30 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think we are less dynamic but we could pick up Gronk and not have to much fall off.  He would cost about the same also.  I like Waller as a player but I think this year or next would be a good time to trade him.  If he gets hurt and misses time again this year that alone will remove him from the elite status.  I personally do not value TE that highly although Waller is a tremendous weapon.  If I could get a Pro Bowl RT for him I would pull the trigger.

Also we were 4-2 without Waller last year and he missed most of the playoff run, missed 4 of the last five games and only had 4 catches for 55 yards in the last 2 he played in, so you could say we were a playoff team last year without him.

Gronk isn’t coming back for anyone not named Brady. And would likely be in the second half of the season. 

Would rather keep Waller but that contract better have no dead cap in 3 years. The chemistry with Carr is too damn good. If trading I want players more than picks. Adams and Renfrow would get a huge amount of looks without Waller but I'd want to add a TE as a backup /split time with Foster. A 3 year 48 million extension is 16 per and cheaper that a WR which is what Waller really is so...It's the structure that matters. 

13 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I am all for extending Waller because I think that he is a beast and will be amazing in this system and with the surrounding talent. There is just so much money invested in this offense, I have never seen this before. 

Raiders are structuring these deals on a 3 year window. I guess even if the offense succeeds they don’t plan on resigning Adams or Waller anyway. Does anyone else think that not staggering contracts is kinda detrimental? 

9 hours ago, opeth0500 said:

I am all for extending Waller because I think that he is a beast and will be amazing in this system and with the surrounding talent. There is just so much money invested in this offense, I have never seen this before. 

Raiders are structuring these deals on a 3 year window. I guess even if the offense succeeds they don’t plan on resigning Adams or Waller anyway. Does anyone else think that not staggering contracts is kinda detrimental? 

The Raiders are definitely going “All In” with a 3 year window factoring in all the 3 year contracts and the ages after those contracts. They are hoping to win with a Top 5 Offense and Mid-Level defense like the Chiefs did in 2019. Our defense was close to mid level last year. And that’s without Chandler Jones. 

There’s a couple posters thinking we are in still in “build” mode this season and only expect a 8-9 record, but that is definitely not what this coaching staff is aiming for. This coaching staff sees a Super Bowl window for 2022, 2023, and 2024. 

After 2024 will probably come regression and a “massive reload”. The team should still be good enough to not have to do a full rebuild. But we won’t be SB contenders in 2024/2025 while we reload the roster. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

The Raiders are definitely going “All In” with a 3 year window factoring in all the 3 year contracts and the ages after those contracts. They are hoping to win with a Top 5 Offense and Mid-Level defense like the Chiefs did in 2019. Our defense was close to mid level last year. And that’s without Chandler Jones. 

There’s a couple posters thinking we are in still in “build” mode this season and only expect a 8-9 record, but that is definitely not what this coaching staff is aiming for. This coaching staff sees a Super Bowl window for 2022, 2023, and 2024. 

After 2024 will probably come regression and a “massive reload”. The team should still be good enough to not have to do a full rebuild. But we won’t be SB contenders in 2024/2025 while we reload the roster. 

I predict 9-8. You can't say "all in" and trot out arguably a bottom 5 Oline group. I think they will pay for not addressing the Oline. The starters are backup caliber and there is zero depth. 

Defense is suspect as well at LB and DB. Coaching will help, but I still see this team as a year or 2 away from being a contender. Unless the Oline is just shockingly underrated and surprises everyone. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I predict 9-8. You can't say "all in" and trot out arguably a bottom 5 Oline group. I think they will pay for not addressing the Oline. The starters are backup caliber and there is zero depth. 

Defense is suspect as well at LB and DB. Coaching will help, but I still see this team as a year or 2 away from being a contender. Unless the Oline is just shockingly underrated and surprises everyone. 

I wish I could give 20 likes.  I think if this team is a Super Bowl contender and goes on a run it will have to look like the Bengals of last year.  Which means Carr is going to have to take a lot of hits and still stay in the pocket to make the throws among other things.