All this about rookie QBs - what about the rookie HCs?

notthatbluestuff

Which of the rookie HCs have had the most impressive first seasons from a purely coaching standpoint, and which the worst? Excluding Urban Meyer, obviously the worst - no more needs to be said on that front.

No order:

Nick Sirianni (Eagles)
Brandon Staley (Chargers)
Arthur Smith (Falcons)
Dan Campbell (Lions)
Robert Saleh (Jets)
David Culley (Texans) 

I think Sirianni is doing the best job by a good distance.

It feels like Staley & the Chargers are actually under-achieving. A lot of people had them making the playoffs with at least 10 wins. Would be a real big disappointment if they don’t reach that imo.

• Like 1

David Culley is doing exactly what he was brought in to do - absorb the vitriol that should be directed towards Cal McNair, Jack Easterby and Nick Caserio.

His in game decisions are horrendous, he's alienated pretty much any player who is not on a one year "prove it or you're out of the NFL" player, and he's signed off on decisions that will impact the Texans negatively for the next 2-3 years.

Despite all of this, he's the guy the media is chatting about - and there is this false "they're playing hard for him" narrative based on one game against another rookie HC who has been inconsistent himself - but despite all of these flaws, he's going nowhere until he wants to retire and coach HS football (like he said his retirement plan was when he was introduced as the newest HC of the Texans).

This is a hell of a retirement plan, ultimately. He probably made more money as a HC this year than the last 10 years combined as a position coach. That's gonna buy a lot of school lunch pizza with milk and a fruit cup at whatever HS he ends up at...

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

It feels like Staley & the Chargers are actually under-achieving. A lot of people had them making the playoffs with at least 10 wins. Would be a real big disappointment if they don’t reach that imo.

If anything, I think Staley and the Chargers are overachieving this year. We had a lot of weaknesses due to poor FA acquisitions and drafts over the years. It always felt like a 2 year fix. The idea of making the playoffs happened because we won big early. Now I think you’re seeing some of the depth issues pop up. But yeah, given where the Chargers were, it would be disappointing if they miss the postseason.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Someone is giving the goat his credit. At the start of the season he was gameplanning like Jalen Hurts was Andrew Luck Jr. Once he realized that wasn't going to work the Eagles became a smash mouth, run first team. Most thought that they'd be a bottom feeder but they're on the verge of sneaking into the playoffs with Hurts who is essentially a rookie QB.

I agree about Staley, their team is weird. They have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball, they're just so inconsistent. Two weeks ago they went blow for blow with the Chiefs and last week they got destroyed by the Texans.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xenos said:

If anything, I think Staley and the Chargers are overachieving this year. We had a lot of weaknesses due to poor FA acquisitions and drafts over the years. It always felt like a 2 year fix. The idea of making the playoffs happened because we won big early. Now I think you’re seeing some of the depth issues pop up. But yeah, given where the Chargers were, it would be disappointing if they miss the postseason.

Given the amount of talent you have and the fact you guys went 7-9 last year, to go 9-8 or 8-9 this year would be underachieving. Staley is supposed to be a defensive guru and your defense has been significantly worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Based on results coinciding with their roster, I think Arthur Smith and Brandon Staley are doing the best jobs. I think Saleh is doing the worst.

The entire season the Falcons have been viewed as one of the worst teams in the league yet here we are in week 17 and they're 7-8. Gotta give Arthur some credit, especially since you lost Ridley midseason.

• Like 2