BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

4 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

How is a 3 up and over any more of a franchise tag than a 3up? 

I think he means moreso as a transactional way in that you tag a guy and the only way another team can get him is to give him something to the original team 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I think he means moreso as a transactional way in that you tag a guy and the only way another team can get him is to give him something to the original team 

I guess that makes sense, but I think that given the size of this league and the fact that 3ups are already restricted by 3 anyway, I don’t really see much of an advantage or disadvantage to allowing teams to use all 3 of their 3ups on 3ups and overs if that is what they want to do. 

43 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

How is a 3 up and over any more of a franchise tag than a 3up? 

20 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I guess that makes sense, but I think that given the size of this league and the fact that 3ups are already restricted by 3 anyway, I don’t really see much of an advantage or disadvantage to allowing teams to use all 3 of their 3ups on 3ups and overs if that is what they want to do. 

I was against allowing 3 Up and Over in the first place. That said, the point of 3 Ups is to ensure that free agency is meaningful and teams couldn't just resign all their players. It also forces teams to pay their cheap rookie talent for at least a year before trading them, so they can't just (effectively) tag and trade them after getting the full benefit of 4-5 years of cheap high-level talent.

It's bad enough certain teams have 3-4 top 16 picks every year in BDL as it is, it would be even worse if we allowed unlimited 3 Up and Overs. This system forces people to trade their young talent they can't/won't keep while they're still cheap, even if it's just for a season or even half a season.