BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

Leave me out of whatever is happening here.

*Sigh*

Guys I'm bored. I'm almost a full 4 days into life with no football, over a month to NFL Free Agency, and I don't even pretend to care about the NBA. It's about 3 weeks until I care about March Madness, and the MLB is in full lockout mode.

I need some type of reprieve from the mundaneness of life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

*Sigh*

Guys I'm bored. I'm almost a full 4 days into life with no football, over a month to NFL Free Agency, and I don't even pretend to care about the NBA. It's about 3 weeks until I care about March Madness, and the MLB is in full lockout mode.

Rouseeau sucks. 

Whatever corpse rags was attempting to prop up sucks.

Dave Chappelle Unity GIF

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

No question

*Warning: Rant incoming*

See, I've always HATED this argument. If we aren't doing a simulation league, and people can see with their eyes, go off of tape and fit, and then also understand that scheme and system matters, holding it against someone because they "never do it", is purely stupid.

We don't hold it against QB's and WR's who aren't asked to do ______ in their team's system here. For example, we just saw TB12 win a Super Bowl last year in a completely different system then he was ever asked to run or ran in New England...a vertical passing system with a ton of 5 step drops killing it in the intermediate. Just because he was never asked to in NE doesn't mean that he couldn't.

And let's say I have a LOADED WR group with Hopkins, Adams, and Mike Evans. I guess you should absolutely hold it against me for having Evans in the slot since he never does it in Tampa Bay, even if I invert him to force teams to play press man on him, likely matching him up against some undersized JAG there.

Plus, Rousseau lines up as a 5 Tech a LOT, which despite scheme in a 4-3 defense, means that he's essentially a 3-4 DE from what's asked of him. He's a 2 gap stopped aligned to a TE who can also come off of the edge. If the Bills send an outside blitzer, he's the interior gap guy, which is literally no different than if he moved inside to a 3 Tech or 4I shaded inside the OT on 3rd down with a 9 Tech coming off of the EDGE beside him.

I guess I'm going to need some clearer cut criteria if I can't justify/we can't justify guys we plug into schemes and gameplans compared to what they do IRL since we are selectively cherry picking that on other sides of the ball and position groups and aren't being held to the same standard.

:) 

I figured a rant was incoming.

I think all WRs work from the slot some nowadays.  The bigger issue would be playing a strictly outside corner like a Richard Sherman in the slot.

My two points on how I view it.  1.  Just cause a guy did something in college doesn't mean he can do it in the NFL.  2.  Why doesn't their RL team have said player do this thing if itll be so effective?  Is it because they need said player to do something else?  Or cause they know said player can't do this thing as effectively?

I have a very good idea about what my guys can do even if they dont typically do it, but I dont have time to research every guy in BDL, so I have to rely, to some extent, on what they actually do.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ragnarok: I agree that Oliver and Rousseau would be a nice pass rushing combo inside

Also Ragnarok: I am going to immediately contradict myself by saying that you can't justify it even though I agree that it would be a smart decision

Oooooooooh yes I love this rivalry already

65l4bt.jpg

I'll clarify.  I agree it'd look good on paper.  Actually effective is different.

13 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

I think all WRs work from the slot some nowadays.  The bigger issue would be playing a strictly outside corner like a Richard Sherman in the slot.

Everyone make note of Ragnarok using a hypothetical example and then applying it solely to the defensive side of the ball while simultaneously ignoring a real life TB12 argument that has contextual history and actual BDL applications as to the point that I made. He's that talented guys.

My two points on how I view it.  1.  Just cause a guy did something in college doesn't mean he can do it in the NFL.

Which is absolutely viably fair. What's not viably fair is that you said "I think that would be great IRL" and then said the opposite seconds later. 

2.  Why doesn't their RL team have said player do this thing if itll be so effective?  Is it because they need said player to do something else?  Or cause they know said player can't do this thing as effectively?

That's the entire argument that I made about TB12. Sure, in some cases, certain players fit certain schemes and have strengths and weaknesses. In some cases, players need to do _____ because that team has no viable alternative. For example, Justin Smith was a "fine" 4-3 DE, but he was a dominant 3-4 DE. I would also wager that Jared Allen would have been a "fine" 3-4 DE but was a dominant 4-3 DE.

I have a very good idea about what my guys can do even if they dont typically do it, 

Quoted for future justification at points down the road

but I dont have time to research every guy in BDL, so I have to rely, to some extent, on what they actually do.

And what I'm saying is that a 4-3 5 Tech literally schematically does what a 4-3 4I or 3 Tech does in pass rushing situations with a wide 9 outside of him or an outside the box blitzer.

3 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Dave Chappelle Player Haters Ball GIF

I'll say this, his "Tupac is Still Alive" was still my favorite:

I wrote this song a long time ago A real long time ago, feel me! I wrote this song a long time ago It was the dopest song I ever wrote... in '94

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Everyone make note of Ragnarok using a hypothetical example and then applying it solely to the defensive side of the ball while simultaneously ignoring a real life TB12 argument that has contextual history and actual BDL applications as to the point that I made. He's that talented guys.

Which is absolutely viably fair. What's not viably fair is that you said "I think that would be great IRL" and then said the opposite seconds later. 

That's the entire argument that I made about TB12. Sure, in some cases, certain players fit certain schemes and have strengths and weaknesses. In some cases, players need to do _____ because that team has no viable alternative. For example, Justin Smith was a "fine" 4-3 DE, but he was a dominant 3-4 DE. I would also wager that Jared Allen would have been a "fine" 3-4 DE but was a dominant 4-3 DE.

Quoted for future justification at points down the road

And what I'm saying is that a 4-3 5 Tech literally schematically does what a 4-3 4I or 3 Tech does in pass rushing situations with a wide 9 outside of him or an outside the box blitzer.

Except we had seen Brady operate in a more vertical passing attack when he had Randy Moss.

Another viable example would be an OT playing OG or vice versa.  Its not just defensive.

Just because I believe I know what my guys can do doesn't mean others agree.  Thats part of the fun of BDL.  Differing viewpoints.

I get the point about a 5T in a 4-3 under being much the same as a 3T in a wide 9 scheme.

And yes, this league is on paper, but the foundation is a real sport with real players we can and should look to.

53 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

My two points on how I view it.  1.  Just cause a guy did something in college doesn't mean he can do it in the NFL.  2.  Why doesn't their RL team have said player do this thing if itll be so effective?  Is it because they need said player to do something else?  Or cause they know said player can't do this thing as effectively?

I have a very good idea about what my guys can do even if they dont typically do it, but I dont have time to research every guy in BDL, so I have to rely, to some extent, on what they actually do.

I'll play Logan Thomas at QB and you will all like it!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*Sigh*

Hit the tape!! 

• Like 1