BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

1 minute ago, Whicker said:

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in BDL. Why should “we” punish people for collecting #1 corners? I ran into this issue all the time in OKC and it really is backwards to me 

I actually kind of agtee with Rags on this point in that Sherman was mainly a cover three corner on the outside.  Could he play inside, probably, but we just don't know.  A corner who plays a bunch of man can probably do it anywhere provided they are twitchy enough to be inside

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

I actually kind of agtee with Rags on this point in that Sherman was mainly a cover three corner on the outside.  Could he play inside, probably, but we just don't know.  A corner who plays a bunch of man can probably do it anywhere provided they are twitchy enough to be inside

Okay well I disagree. If I have Champ Bailey and Darrelle revis on my roster that shouldn’t keep me from acquiring Sherman just because “I can’t play him inside”. I can’t really grasp that concept in this league. 

6 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Okay well I disagree. If I have Champ Bailey and Darrelle revis on my roster that shouldn’t keep me from acquiring Sherman just because “I can’t play him inside”. I can’t really grasp that concept in this league. 

I mean it really just comes down to the idea of talent that a player has if they are typically a nickel corner then playing them inside as a nickel corner makes sense but if their entire career has been comprised of being an outside corner in their skill set is is more  Definitive to that of the announced corner then it starts to become illogical to play them in a position where they would not actually play

37 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Except we had seen Brady operate in a more vertical passing attack when he had Randy Moss.

DUDE, those weren't even CLOSE to the same systems and you know it. The scheme was still very predicated upon the short game while utilizing Moss's ability to hit homeruns. It wasn't an intermediate/deep passing attack like Tampa Bay at all. As a matter of fact, that would have been the Big Ben Steelers years or the late Manning years in Indy

Another viable example would be an OT playing OG or vice versa.  Its not just defensive.

More on this in a second

Just because I believe I know what my guys can do doesn't mean others agree.  Thats part of the fun of BDL.  Differing viewpoints.

I'm having fun

I get the point about a 5T in a 4-3 under being much the same as a 3T in a wide 9 scheme.

Ufc 205 Thank You GIF by UFC

That's all I'm saying, is that there should be the opportunity to preface things with a few caveats of understanding schematically of what team x is trying to do (IRL or here) as opposed to "Nuh uh that's a totally separate position".

To be honest, I'd argue that a RT in a ZBS can absolutely play RG or LG depending upon the system and who that player is.

See: Joel Bitonio, Quentin Nelson, and a bunch of those early 2000s Chiefs OL

And yes, this league is on paper, but the foundation is a real sport with real players we can and should look to.

Which is fine as long as people aren't closed minded to selective application of the "separate positions".

15 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

That one is dependent on the player for me.  I can buy Jaire Alexander playing slot much more easily than Sherman.

Agreed, as you could say about a dude with elite lateral ability and man/zone value with a guy like Denzel Ward

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ufc 205 Thank You GIF by UFCWhich is fine as long as people aren't closed minded to selective application of the "separate positions".

Assuming that I am understanding what you are saying here I am all for creative usage of players as long as what you are doing with them makes sense to what they are actually capable of doing

15 minutes ago, Whicker said:

So it’s just whatever we’re feeling that week?

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Agreed, as you could say about a dude with elite lateral ability and man/zone value with a guy like Denzel Ward

What MWil said.  I think its player dependent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I mean it really just comes down to the idea of talent that a player has if they are typically a nickel corner then playing them inside as a nickel corner makes sense but if their entire career has been comprised of being an outside corner in their skill set is is more  Definitive to that of the announced corner then it starts to become illogical to play them in a position where they would not actually play

I’m going to pick and choose when I apply this criteria throughout the season and make it obvious. Maybe then you all will realize it’s ridiculousness in this particular league

16 minutes ago, Whicker said:

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in BDL. Why should “we” punish people for collecting #1 corners? I ran into this issue all the time in OKC and it really is backwards to me 

Or #1 receivers, or 2 EDGE rushing OLB's when you usually have to drop 1 in coverage, while cherry picking "Player X doesn't drop in coverage so how do we know that they're good at it?????" as though they couldn't possibly do it since they have more value for that team elsewhere.

We've seen guys fluidly move from CB to S without missing a beat and/or even being better (Charles Woodson, Rod Woodson, Malcolm Jenkins, Ronnie Lott) and yet if I had 3 #1 CBs and moved one to S, I'd get dinged for that? I find that hard to believe.

• Like 1

Just now, Whicker said:

I’m going to pick and choose when I apply this criteria throughout the season and make it obvious. Maybe then you all will realize it’s ridiculousness in this particular league

I think it's fair to Say that we disagree with you I think that suggesting a player that's never really played the slot can play the flat or Nickelback back doesn't make a lot of sense. I mean that's almost like saying it makes sense to you the defensive tackle at linebacker even though he weighs 300 pounds and hasn't ever done it because it's creative and this is a fantasy league.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Assuming that I am understanding what you are saying here I am all for creative usage of players as long as what you are doing with them makes sense to what they are actually capable of doing

EXACTLY

Otherwise, I'm going to argue that Josh Allen can't operate from under center or with play-action passing as a component of what he's being asked to do in BDL since the Bills have no running game in real life and we have yet to see Josh Allen succeed in this type of offensive system. It's ludicrous. 

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Or #1 receivers, or 2 EDGE rushing OLB's when you usually have to drop 1 in coverage, while cherry picking "Player X doesn't drop in coverage so how do we know that they're good at it?????" as though they couldn't possibly do it since they have more value for that team elsewhere.

We've seen guys fluidly move from CB to S without missing a beat and/or even being better (Charles Woodson, Rod Woodson, Malcolm Jenkins, Ronnie Lott) and yet if I had 3 #1 CBs and moved one to S, I’d get dinged for that? I find that hard to believe.

In this league you would be

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Whicker said:

I'd argue that in this scenario, due to those other two being elite athletes with elite ball skills and man ability, you should absolutely have Sherman on the outside with either Champ or Revis in the slot.

Sherman doesn't have the athleticism (and never did) laterally to excel in man slot situations, but in terms of playing press man on the outside or as a Cover 3 corner, he was hard to beat in any of that.

JMHO