BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

30 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Didn't Chinn play a lot of LBer as a rookie?

I do think the line between WLB and SS has blurred a lot in the current NFL.  He would fit in either imo.

Yes he would and so would what Whicker is saying. I’m not arguing against Chinn playing linebacker here people. And Sherman has played nickel before in his career. Probably more snaps than Rousseau played inside...

“But there was Sherman in Week 1 against St. Louis lining up not at his normal left cornerback position, but in the slot usually matched up against speedy St. Louis wide receiver Tavon Austin. It was a last-minute request by the Seahawks coaching staff, deciding that Sherman playing in the slot and DeShawn Shead taking over as the outside cornerback in passing situations was the best option against the Rams.”

"Putting Richard inside it allows him to use all of the savvy and the instincts that he has," Carroll said. "He's a marvelous player in terms of awareness, and vision, and anticipation and all of that, and that position in there does call for those opportunities in zones and all kinds of different things that you do there."

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

*Warning: Rant incoming*

See, I've always HATED this argument. If we aren't doing a simulation league, and people can see with their eyes, go off of tape and fit, and then also understand that scheme and system matters, holding it against someone because they "never do it", is purely stupid.

We don't hold it against QB's and WR's who aren't asked to do ______ in their team's system here. For example, we just saw TB12 win a Super Bowl last year in a completely different system then he was ever asked to run or ran in New England...a vertical passing system with a ton of 5 step drops killing it in the intermediate. Just because he was never asked to in NE doesn't mean that he couldn't.

And let's say I have a LOADED WR group with Hopkins, Adams, and Mike Evans. I guess you should absolutely hold it against me for having Evans in the slot since he never does it in Tampa Bay, even if I invert him to force teams to play press man on him, likely matching him up against some undersized JAG there.

Plus, Rousseau lines up as a 5 Tech a LOT, which despite scheme in a 4-3 defense, means that he's essentially a 3-4 DE from what's asked of him. He's a 2 gap stopper aligned to a TE who can also come off of the edge. If the Bills send an outside blitzer, he's the interior gap guy, which is literally no different than if he moved inside to a 3 Tech or 4I shaded inside the OT on 3rd down with a 9 Tech coming off of the EDGE beside him.

I guess I'm going to need some clearer cut criteria if I can't justify/we can't justify guys we plug into schemes and gameplans compared to what they do IRL since we are selectively cherry picking that on other sides of the ball and position groups and aren't being held to the same standard.

:) 

CostlyElatedInvisiblerail-size_restricte

• Like 1

This a great conversation to not be involved in.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

all I have to contribute to this conversation is that I stopped trusting you people to read gameplans when I listed DeAndre Hopkins at running back for matchup purposes

Ironically I tried the same thing with Julio Jones 5 or 6 years after you did and lost for the same rational you lost.

Edited by MD4L
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Whicker said:

Okay well I disagree. If I have Champ Bailey and Darrelle revis on my roster that shouldn’t keep me from acquiring Sherman just because “I can’t play him inside”. I can’t really grasp that concept in this league. 

In this scenario I think 99% would slide either Bailey or Revis inside, and completely negate your argument as everyone would recognize the trio as elite (assuming we're time traveling to their elite primes).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Yes he would and so would what Whicker is saying. I’m not arguing against Chinn playing linebacker here people. And Sherman has played nickel before in his career. Probably more snaps than Rousseau played inside...

“But there was Sherman in Week 1 against St. Louis lining up not at his normal left cornerback position, but in the slot usually matched up against speedy St. Louis wide receiver Tavon Austin. It was a last-minute request by the Seahawks coaching staff, deciding that Sherman playing in the slot and DeShawn Shead taking over as the outside cornerback in passing situations was the best option against the Rams.”

"Putting Richard inside it allows him to use all of the savvy and the instincts that he has," Carroll said. "He's a marvelous player in terms of awareness, and vision, and anticipation and all of that, and that position in there does call for those opportunities in zones and all kinds of different things that you do there."

I didn't know that.  It makes sense in a zone heavy scheme.

5 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

In this scenario I think 99% would slide either Bailey or Revis inside, and completely negate your argument as everyone would recognize the trio as elite (assuming we're time traveling to their elite primes).

I just picked the best two corners I could think of right away. They were the wrong names.