BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

21 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Not out on him read what I said at the end. No other player got more props after being picked last season. I was high on him too. He was Blues top linebacker though over Parsons which was interesting to me.

Ironically I’m high on Collins, but he was my number three behind JOK and Parsons in that order for me. 

30 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I definitely still have high hopes for Zaven Collins. 

Me too. The thing with guys like is if they grade poorly on PFF they are liabilities, even if he’s got a tailored skill set that can do specific things for you in a gameplan. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

There aren’t many I remember like that one 

They happen more then fairly often. We’re a chatty patty group of individuals when it comes to BDL. I usually can’t quote them because the prior years threads are locked.

4 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Me too. The thing with guys like is if they grade poorly on PFF they are liabilities, even if he’s got a tailored skill set that can do specific things for you in a gameplan. 

Don’t think it has anything to do with PFF. It has to do with playing time and benching him for Tanner Vallejo

• Like 1

Case in point, here is some stuff in before the draft about my thoughts on Micah Parsons. From Mafia games, BDL 2021 thread, and a random post from a different thread outside BDL.

On 1/3/2021 at 2:56 PM, MD4L said:

Have you seen what he’s produced this year? I’d probably prefer an edge rusher but Micah Parsons would be nice. The value on that possible pick will be awful in all likelihood though.

On 4/12/2021 at 1:32 PM, MD4L said:

Parsons has some red flags but is a steal at pick 14. One of the best values of the draft so far.

On 4/29/2021 at 1:06 AM, MD4L said:

That would be an uninspiring Dolphins draft even though Parsons would be a major boon for the Dolphins. Ideally all the early choices would help Tua and they would add someone else in the trenches.

In terms of value Parsons at 18 would be insanely difficult to pass up. Nabbing Etienne in the mid 2nd round would be quite the fall. Tryon does fit a need so in terms of where guys fall this draft would be graded favorably.

I would’ve probably taken him (or strongly considered doing so) if he fell to 16.

• Like 1

Just now, Scoundrel said:

Don’t think it has anything to do with PFF. It has to do with playing time and benching him for Tanner Vallejo

Lol. Good point. But while we all aren’t major PFF enthusiasts, if a guy who has a major role for your team has a grade in 30s, you’re gonna be doing a lot more defending strategy on said player then you’d like. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Lol. Good point. But while we all aren’t major PFF enthusiasts, if a guy who has a major role for your team has a grade in 30s, you’re gonna be doing a lot more defending strategy on said player then you’d like. 

Oh I agree I just don’t think that’s the case with Zaven last season. He had very limited opportunities. 220 defensive snaps 20% of the possible snaps over 17 games. Under 13 snaps a game. Had a stretch of 5 straight games in the last seven of the season where he played 3 total defensive snaps in those 5 games (4 of those games he played zero defensive snaps and just special teams). That’s just inexcusable if your rookie first round pick is healthy and not a QB sitting behind a starter. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Oh I agree I just don’t think that’s the case with Zaven last season. He had very limited opportunities. 220 defensive snaps 20% of the possible snaps over 17 games. Under 13 snaps a game. Had a stretch of 5 straight games in the last seven of the season where he played 3 total defensive snaps in those 5 games (4 of those games he played zero defensive snaps and just special teams). That’s just inexcusable if your rookie first round pick is healthy and not a QB sitting behind a starter. 

From what I remember the Cards planned to move on from Jordan Hicks and replace him with Collins. They never moved Hicks and he remained the signal caller the whole year. Hicks is a solid player who called the defense, so it's not the worst scenario I think.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jlash said:

From what I remember the Cards planned to move on from Jordan Hicks and replace him with Collins. They never moved Hicks and he remained the signal caller the whole year. Hicks is a solid player who called the defense, so it's not the worst scenario I think.

He should see a jump in playing time this season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Yeah getting benched for a guy of Vallejo's caliber is never good.

That said, it seems like every Cards 1st round pick(except Kyler) does next to nothing as a rookie then has a solid 2nd year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Yeah getting benched for a guy of Vallejo's caliber is never good.

That said, it seems like every Cards 1st round pick(except Kyler) does next to nothing as a rookie then has a solid 2nd year.

From what I read, it was less about Collins' play being poor and more about the other guys' while Collins was injured, playing well. Idk how much of that is true obviously 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

From what I read, it was less about Collins' play being poor and more about the other guys' while Collins was injured, playing well. Idk how much of that is true obviously 

He and Simmons have the ability to form quite a versatile duo for that defense.