BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

Posted it in the Cancun chat with Mwil but gonna post it here too: this Deshaun Watson situation is the kind of **** I think about when I see the "scouts have question marks about X love of the game" for draft prospects. Remember what kind of people are making these statements and look at what kind of players they're willing to have, WANT to have, on their teams.

I have seen some really horrible things said about college players by former NFL scouts, and it was utterly shocking to me that somebody in charge of grading prospects would say or think those things about a 21 year old. Some scouts LIKE *******s. That's the culture they want, and anyone who isn't like that is not somebody they want on their team regardless of talent.

The worst part about these "anonymous reports" on players leading up to the draft is that there's no accountability for the guy(s) who thought Justin Herbert wasn't a leader because he's not a rah-rah in your face guy, just like there's no accountability for the people who wrote off Jameis Winston's character issues leading up to him getting taken No. 1. Shouldn't surprise anyone if it was the exact same people saying those things.

FF is censoring some of my more colorful language but I'm sure you all can make reasonable guesses.

Edited by Blue
  • Like 3

Hell, I don't even have to go to Jameis Winston, Johnny Manziel is just as good of an example. Saw one media person try to spin his character issues as a good thing in the lead-up to the 2014 draft, which goes to show how much anybody really cares about character when they think a player is good at sport.

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

Posted it in the Cancun chat with Mwil but gonna post it here too: this Deshaun Watson situation is the kind of **** I think about when I see the "scouts have question marks about X love of the game" for draft prospects. Remember what kind of people are making these statements and look at what kind of players they're willing to have, WANT to have, on their teams.

I have seen some really horrible things said about college players by former NFL scouts, and it was utterly shocking to me that somebody in charge of grading prospects would say or think those things about a 21 year old. Some scouts LIKE *******s. That's the culture they want, and anyone who isn't like that is not somebody they want on their team regardless of talent.

The worst part about these "anonymous reports" on players leading up to the draft is that there's no accountability for the guy(s) who thought Justin Herbert wasn't a leader because he's not a rah-rah in your face guy, just like there's no accountability for the people who wrote off Jameis Winston's character issues leading up to him getting taken No. 1. Shouldn't surprise anyone if it was the exact same people saying those things.

FF is censoring some of my more colorful language but I'm sure you all can make reasonable guesses.

The one that makes me laugh is when you see a guy like Bosa or Thibodeaux get knocked cause there's doubts as to whether they love the game.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Blue said:

Pre Thibs at #1 overall people. The stage has been set

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Also, seeding in the spring yields pretty meh results. I tell people seedlings are like kids, they've got no immune system and can't defend themselves so they're vulnerable to everything. Spot seeding is ok, but if you can hold off until the fall when disease pressure is lower, and heat stress is done that's huge.

The fall arration and seed was good but I still have a ton of issues. I’m on old farmland

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Blue said:

What is so hard to believe about it?

Is it mind boggling that 32 different brain trusts have different opinions on prospects?

Not really, especially when you can create a firestorm saying something and not have your own credibility compromised by doing so.

Lastly, on the Watson bit: There are plenty of teams who have dismissed the opportunity to acquire him because the off field transgressions. It shouldn’t surprise that a select few teams were interested in making a deal. By the same token, the teams that didn’t possibly do not have better alternatives, but the publicity with making such a decision obviously will get others riled up. 

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

What is so hard to believe about it?

Is it mind boggling that 32 different brain trusts have different opinions on prospects?

Not really, especially when you can create a firestorm saying something and not have your own credibility compromised by doing so.

Lastly, on the Watson bit: There are plenty of teams who have dismissed the opportunity to acquire him because the off field transgressions. It shouldn’t surprise that a select few teams were interested in making a deal. By the same token, the teams that didn’t possibly do not have better alternatives, but the publicity with making such a decision obviously will get others riled up. 

It's not that they have different opinions. It's that they say objectively mean, horrible things about other human beings that aren't justified in the slightest. It goes way, way beyond football and it's atrocious that people who say things like that are involved in the decision-making process.

The fact that some teams took him off the board doesn't excuse the fact that other teams clearly did not.

21 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The one that makes me laugh is when you see a guy like Bosa or Thibodeaux get knocked cause there's doubts as to whether they love the game.

What's really stood out to me is that when the "Thibs doesn't love the game" stuff came up, I saw at least one person claim that they pointed out Thibs came back and played through injury, and it was immediately written off as "well he could have done more." But BOTH Bosa brothers basically sat out their junior years and nobody seriously suggested either of them had character issues because of it (character issues for other reasons, well...not going into that).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue said:

It's not that they have different opinions. It's that they say objectively mean, horrible things about other human beings that aren't justified in the slightest. It goes way, way beyond football and it's atrocious that people who say things like that are involved in the decision-making process.

The fact that some teams took him off the board doesn't excuse the fact that other teams clearly did not.

I understand your point on the bold. Let’s not forget, the people who are usually quoted are scouts and non GMs. The guys who have final say are 1 in almost 500 front office positions. People will say whatever they want.

I think it’s understandable that people are willing to give additional opportunities. It’s not a football principle, it’s life and is scattered through literally thousands of examples.

• Like 1

Just now, MD4L said:

I think it’s understandable that people are willing to give additional opportunities. It’s not a football principle, it’s life and is scattered through literally thousands of examples.

Sure. But I think that people need to show remorse to earn that second chance. Watson has, throughout all of this, trusted his fame and the justice system's bias towards men in cases like this to protect him. Pleading the 5th to a grand jury does not fill me with confidence that he didn't do the things he's accused of or feels bad about doing them, even though that may be the smart legal play.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Blue said:

Sure. But I think that people need to show remorse to earn that second chance. Watson has, throughout all of this, trusted his fame and the justice system's bias towards men in cases like this to protect him. Pleading the 5th to a grand jury does not fill me with confidence that he didn't do the things he's accused of or feels bad about doing them, even though that may be the smart legal play.

This is a delicate situation for me. I value character and integrity; during the entire process I said the women deserve their day in court and should be able to speak on their interaction.

It’s feels like character assassination having to defend him on here in any capacity, but in this situation no one else is giving him any benefit of the doubt. The result of his situation was not solely because of his public stature. The publicity he’s received and overwhelmingly negative backlash is the result of his public persona.

Since the courts gave their final ruling on the criminal aspect of his case, the public narrative has been a one sided story. 

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

This is a delicate situation for me. I value character and integrity; during the entire process I said the women deserve their day in court and should be able to speak on their interaction.

It’s feels like character assassination having to defend him on here in any capacity, but in this situation no one else is giving him any benefit of the doubt. The result of his situation was not solely because of his public stature. The publicity he’s received and overwhelmingly negative backlash is the result of his public persona.

Since the courts gave their final ruling on the criminal aspect of his case, the public narrative has been a one sided story. 

No, the negative backlash is because twenty-two women accused him of inappropriate sexual conduct.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MD4L said:

And he was found not guilty only because he plays QB? 

26 minutes ago, Blue said:

Watson has, throughout all of this, trusted his fame and the justice system's bias towards men in cases like this to protect him.