The other games thread week #17

Iron_man

Not that I want to defend BB, but a majority of his WR selections have been later rounds.. so it's hard to fault him for busts there. 

An interesting trend I noticed looking back.. most of the guys who failed fit a specific mold. 

• Bethel Johnson, 2nd round ( 4.3 guy who couldn't catch / run routes) <- I admittedly loved the pick
  • Chad Jackson, 2nd round ( 4.3/4.4 guy, from what i can remember also bad route runner.. and bad attitude) <- EVERYONE was excited about this pick back then.. don't lie
  • Brandon Tate, 3rd round ( 4.3/4.4 guy, mainly ended up being a returner but had an 8-10 year career) 
  • Taylor Price, 3rd round ( 4.4 guy, fast.. bad route runner.. if i remember was in a college system with very limited route tree) <- I loved his potential next to Gronk
  • Aaron Dobson, 2nd Round ( 4.37 guy, big guy, had over 500 yards as a rookie.. then was always injured.. i dont remember who else was available this draft but hard to guess on injuries) <- I also loved this pick.. thought he would be a #1 

Those are all of the top 3 round WR's after the Branch/Givens draft.. see a trend? all athletes, burners who BB felt he could mold into top receivers, mediocre hands at best, and most of them had very limited route trees .. and given the complex offense they have, that isn't going to work well. 

N'Keal Harry went against the norm .. he was slower (4.5), more of a tough, possession guy. It almost feels like BB went for the safest pick, he felt that Brady needed a reliable option who could play right away and the burners would have needed too long to develop. Now of course Harry now goes down as the biggest bust of them all but maybe that's what BB was thinking? 

Based off the trends... I think they would have normally drafted Metcalf .. a big, fast guy with a limited route tree in college.

When it comes to understanding what WR will translate best / the staff may have the most interest in .. i think the top qualities would be: 

• Route Running Ability ( how complex was the college route tree.. did they run it well?) 
  • Speed ( mixture of 40 time and 3 cone) 
  • Drop Rate ( multiple past WR's had bad hands) 

The player who likely fits the above mold the best is Chris Olave if he is available in the first round. Reliable, great route runner.. he doesn't look like a burner but he's quick. Metchie is a no brainer because of the Alabama connection but he also isn't a burner to become a #1 receiver. 

13 hours ago, Crimmage said:

WR selections have been later rounds.. so it's hard to fault him for busts there. 

I always thought the BB bust factor was over blown, but there are head scratches for sure. Taylor Price was the one that drove me crazy. Ohio frigging university a run 1st team playing Bunkerhill college. That's like taking a WR from Georgia Tech!! I use to buy in and convince myself that some of the guys mentioned were good picks because I believe BB magic. Call it, Looking through Pats color glasses. Something like that! No longer the case. Now when I hear anything about size I cringe/ blood pressure rises , or 50/50 balls.  Those terms mean slow with no separation ! Chad Jackson was loved by (me) everyone in the NFL. Kipers of the world loved him.  I hate the size factor becasue it limits your choices and you end up passing on terrific players just because of size.

13 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Chris Olave if he is available in the first round. Reliable, great route runner.

This is where we part. Olave reminds me of Devin Smith. He a one trick pony. I see this years reports saying he runs a complete RT tree however the year before they reported that as a weakness. They also said he will have a hard time getting off the line against NFL players. When I watch tape I don't see him being physical and he get a lot of room from college corners. I also think he the 2nd WR and Wilson does the heavy lifting. Pats are picking (now) 23 in the draft. If they take him which I doubt,  I will need a new TV.

Watch tape on Smith and Olave they look like the same player.

I understand that you are not suggesting he should be picked but what the Pats might do.

Edited by m haynes

You're right, I wouldn't select Olave personally in the first.. I think he lacks that extra gear to be elite. He seems like the safest pick to me, least bust proof which is why I could see them taking him. He has been known to be a smart player and best route runner on the team for a few years ( not sure who would have reported he wasn't a good route runner). He is very shifty and smart, which helps him create space quickly in college. I think he will be able to get open in the NFL but it will be more off being quick and smart than pure speed. Lazar thinks he is the next Calvin Ridley / Justin Jefferson but I don't see that personally. 

That's the main reason why my favorite WR for the Patriots is Wan'dale Robinson. He is currently see by many as a late second rounder.. around the 8-10th WR taken.. but i fully expect him to be in the Rondale Moore area of the second round ( 45-50) .  He just declared yesterday so he will certainly be available

Wan'dale Robinson adds another dimension to this team.. he would instantly be the fastest player on the team, has experience on special teams, and has experience running the ball. You get him the ball in space and you have instant YAC. This would also give the Patriots 3 receivers with with potential to take handoffs.. allowing Josh to scheme up even more plays to confuse the defense. The offense should have more RPO's run and you could dial up some great plays with Robinson, Jonnu Smith, and Bourne. 

If you spend an offseason tweaking the offense to focus more on plays to enable getting Jonnu Smith, Bourne and Robinson in space.. we will see a huge jump in production imo. This would also allow them to transition away from Agholor and Meyers slowly over the course of the year. Both would leave in free agency after this upcoming season then you can insert another WR to get reps behind Robinson/Bourne as the main guys. 

Best case scenario for me right now: 

• 1st round corner who can start day 1 ( would be HUGE for this defense, moving Mills to a role he is more suited for) 
  • Wan'dale Robinson in 2nd
  • ILB in 3rd 

ILB is going to be super interesting too.. because I think Hightower and Bentley will be gone. I think we could see Collins resigned for cheap to help out as well as Uche / Mcgrone / Jennings / Rookie battling it out for minutes. 

Edited by Crimmage

9 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Wan'dale Robinson.

There wasn't much on him when I was looking. After you mention him earlier. I check a HL vid. Wow need to read up him. Know more later.

9 hours ago, Crimmage said:
  • 1st round corner who can start day 1 ( would be HUGE for this defense, moving Mills to a role he is more suited for) 
  • Wan'dale Robinson in 2nd
  • ILB in 3rd 

There should be a several CB at 23 matter of fact they could trade down and get one. Draft is loaded at CBs. I read Saban loves Josh Jobe. Hmmmmmmm!

My favorite

Andrew Booth Jr. CB | Clemson

TV out the window

Kaiir Elam CB | Florida

There should be several ILB in the 3rd. Look for Jack Campbell  Iowa.  Leader, big and a coach that knows how to teach defense.