Bored: Offense Moving Forward

G08

I've been digging into Dontrelle Inman and Tre McBride a bit and I have come away a bit excited about this offense moving forward. Don't get me wrong, these aren't two stars, but compared to the crap we have been putting on the field I think they may change the complexion of our offense.

Inman gives us size, speed, and (IMO) outstanding change of direction and body control. He hit some huge plays with Rivers off double moves (stutter-and-go is probably his best route) and I think that Loggains would be a fool to not incorporate that into our offense.

McBride is an oddity to me. His physical numbers belie a WR who in theory should be a possession receiver. 6'0 and 210 lbs is a solid size, then you look at his 4.41 speed and 6.96 cone and you should have a WR that can beat you deep but also have the size to fight for balls underneath. He's made some big plays for us (Minnesota and New Orleans) so I would anticipate more looks for him moving forward.

Wright isn't getting enough snaps, IMO, but Loggains said it's by design. I'm hoping that changes if we are going to be in more 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs). Loggains seems to love sending him on slants and drags... I think the kid is capable of much more and am hoping we will see that as this season progresses into the 2nd half.

The offense we are running is a derivative of what Kyle Shanahan has been running throughout his career, so let's see how these targets (physically) compared to Shanahan's #1 scoring offense last season in ATL.

Julio Jones (******* monster) 6'3", 220 lbs, 4.42 dash
Dontrelle Inman 6'3" 198 lbs, 4.47 dash

Inman won't be nearly as physical as Jones (who is, honestly?) but he offers us a WR with a large catch radius. I worry a bit about his ability to get off jams, but that's another story.

Mohamed Sanu (LOVED him coming out of Rutgers) 6'1.5", 211 lbs, 4.54 dash
Tre McBride 6'0", 210 lbs, 4.41 dash

I like this comp here based on size, I don't know if McBride is as physical as Sanu (dude is a badass) but at least on paper you can see what Loggains is trying to do.

Taylor Gabriel 5'7.5", 167 lbs, 4.40 dash
Kendall Wright 5'10", 196 lbs, 4.42 dash

Slot WRs with speed and quickness; Loggains seems to mostly like to use Wright underneath or in the flats, I'm hoping that will change at some point.

Those 3 players accounted for about 48% of Atlanta's passing attempts. Does this mean we will match Atlanta's approach and output? Of course not; our guys are inferior in talent and do not have nearly the time working together with Mitch Trubisky that those men did with Matt Ryan. Still... you can get a glimpse at what Loggains might have in mind if Fox decides to take the governor off at some point.

Where to begin....

1. #1 WR

Or something as close as possible to a #1 WR. This offense is a collection of 3s and 4s and the Bears should look at Deshaun Watson and realize that the weapons are the main difference.

2. RT

The OL has not been good enough across the board. Inconsistent and no where near the rock solid strength many of us assumed it would be early in the season. The easiest spot to upgrade would be Bobbie Massie who is average at best and a significant upgrade would allow you to shift more help to Leno against elite rushers.

3. #2 WR

Maybe Meredith can fill this role if healthy, but I am not willing to risk another year of Trubisky's development on Meredith's knee. If he is healthy they will have too many WRs and I am okay with that.

4. Blocking TE

Sims sucks. I am praying that Shaheen can become the pass catcher and I am intrigued by Brown.

5. Developmental OG

2019 is going to be a shift point for the OL as Sitton's contract is done and Whitehair can be extended. That and the current depth is suspect at best the Bears should add more competition and depth.

The closest thing the Bears have to the speed of Gabriel is Markus Wheaton if he can get out of the iron lung.

My hope for Inman is that he can just get a little separation and provide a big target. He can never do what Jones can do physically at that catch point and in the open field, but if he can just separate and provide a 25% reduction in throw difficulty that would be amazing.

I love Meredith as a #2 IF he can return to form 100%. I want to say he bulked up to 210lbs but I could be mistaken.

Kevin White can go to hell for all I care.

Let's get a true #1 in here, Meredith our #2, and re-sign Kendall Wright as our slot guy.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The closest thing the Bears have to the speed of Gabriel is Markus Wheaton if he can get out of the iron lung.

My hope for Inman is that he can just get a little separation and provide a big target. He can never do what Jones can do physically at that catch point and in the open field, but if he can just separate and provide a 25% reduction in throw difficulty that would be amazing.

Inman is going to beat you with his quickness and route running; I don't think he's going to dominate you like Julio Jones (again, not many can) but I do think he can high-point some balls for Mitch as well as get open on double moves (which will require more than 10 passing attempts a game).

Cautiously optimistic.

great stuff.  Me being a huge Mike McGlichey fan would love for the bears to go after WR/TE in Free agency and get a franchise left tackle in the first round.  Draft McGlichey and move Leno to somewhere along the line where he can help. 

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would plan for the WR offseason as

3. Cam Meredith, that way you do not get screwed if the knee doesn't bounce back

4. Wright

5. Inman, takes Bellamy's job

6. McBride, if he continues to show up

1. Adams or Robinson

2. draft E St. Brown from ND

the rest the same

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Has anyone not noticed how we have gone full Lovie again?

Conservative defensive coach
Struggling OC
Huge Investment at QB
Mediocre protection
No weapons
Great RB
Great defence

Is it 2017 or 2011?

It's our stupid and dated football philosophy.

"Tough team", strong defense, rely on the run.

I see your "or 2011" and raise you "1963".

1 hour ago, G08 said:

It's our stupid and dated football philosophy.

"Tough team", strong defense, rely on the run.

I see your "or 2011" and raise you "1963".

And it’s why the fan base has fans that just like wins just because they won even if was under extradinary conditions. 

I love a strong defense; it's the staple of Chicago championships (I'm talking all sports). But you CAN'T think 3 yards and a cloud of dust in today's NFL.

The league LITERALLY has changed the rules to make it a higher scoring and more explosive in the passing game. Change with the GD times already.

11 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

1. Adams or Robinson

2. draft E St. Brown from ND

the rest the same

Adams/St. Brown/Meredith would be a gift for Trubisky. Adams and Meredith are able to line up outside or the slot so they can be moved around to get advantages, this puts Shaheen against a safety or LB so he has size or athletic advantage, and in the run game they have a clear size advantage on the outside, which should allow some explosive plays when the runs bounce outside.

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Has anyone not noticed how we have gone full Lovie again?

Conservative defensive coach
Struggling OC
Huge Investment at QB
Mediocre protection
No weapons
Great RB
Great defence

Is it 2017 or 2011?

Lovie could beat bad teams with regularity. Fox has us as the bad team being beat with regularity.

One note for the mediocre protection - RT has been a nightmare for us since Fred Miller. Multiple year starters like Omiyale, Webb, Mills, Massie. All suck and Massie isn't even able to stand out from this group.

Archived