Week 17 2021 - GDT - Panthers (5-10) @ Saints (7-8)

Mid Iowa

Why the hell did CJGJ fall to us again? It was one of those weird falls where fans and talking heads universally seemed to like him more than teams did. He fell to the fourth round despite it not being unusual to see him going in the 1st round of some mocks... the dude stepped in as a rookie and played rock solid, and has improved greatly since. Was he too mouthy? Not lengthy enough? I don't get it.

And how many games has CJCJ closed out now? The play he made as a rookie to beat the Cowboys was a sign of what he was going to be best at in this league.... talking so much **** you have no option but to make huge plays in the 4th quarter lmfao.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dome said:

Why the hell did CJGJ fall to us again? It was one of those weird falls where fans and talking heads universally seemed to like him more than teams did. He fell to the fourth round despite it not being unusual to see him going in the 1st round of some mocks... the dude stepped in as a rookie and played rock solid, and has improved greatly since. Was he too mouthy? Not lengthy enough? I don't get it.

And how many games has CJCJ closed out now? The play he made as a rookie to beat the Cowboys was a sign of what he was going to be best at in this league.... talking so much **** you have no option but to make huge plays in the 4th quarter lmfao.

We've hit home runs on a lot of defensive guys these past few years.  Turned a complete 180 since the historically bad years, where draft picks and free agents alike were complete and total busts

3 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

We've hit home runs on a lot of defensive guys these past few years.  Turned a complete 180 since the historically bad years, where draft picks and free agents alike were complete and total busts

Right, we have for sure... but we should have had no shot at him there. It's not like nobody knew who he was an we got him in the 4th.

It's just weird when a guy falls and the knowledgeable draft forum guys and media guys alike are all left scratching their heads. When that guy ends up being just what the knowledgeable draft forum guys and media guys alike thought he would be it makes me wonder what teams didn't like about him, or what they maybe knew that fans didn't.

I don't remember there being anything seriously worrying about him but my memory isn't great.

13 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

There's several scenarios.  In every one, we have to beat the Falcons though.

If we play like we played in the 2nd half of last night's game, the Falcons don't stand a chance.

We should have some O-line help back in the mix, too. And Ingram, for what he's worth.

Calloway was as brilliant as he was frustrating last night. He had several balls hit him in the #'s that he flat out dropped, and then some great, head-turning plays.

I've enjoyed watching how much separation he is getting. If he keeps improving, pair him with a hopeful Michael Thomas, throw Harris in the slot (or anywhere, really) and add a decent tight end, we'll have a receiving corps that will enable Winston to pick apart defenses at will. 

If all this works, just strengthen our O-line - and hopefully keep Covid out of the mix - and we should be a top 5-8 team.

Oh, and we need to keep Dennis Allen. We finally have a good Defensive Coordinator with a Secondary Coach who actually knows what he's doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

Oh, and we need to keep Dennis Allen. We finally have a good Defensive Coordinator with a Secondary Coach who actually knows what he's doing.

I think Allen’s first failed tenure as a HC has ensured we can keep him around longer.

If he was more unknown there’s no doubt this teams defensive performance the last two years would be landing him some HC considerations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

There's several scenarios.  In every one, we have to beat the Falcons though.

You sure? I'm on playoff machine and the only Saints playoff scenario I can come up with has them going to LA -- Unless I try something truly crazy like... a tie

17 minutes ago, Fray32 said:

You sure? I'm on playoff machine and the only Saints playoff scenario I can come up with has them going to LA -- Unless I try something truly crazy like... a tie

At this point yea.  Had Vikings won last night some other options would have been open, because we win a 3 way tie with Eagles but not the two way tie.  There was a chance Tampa would be 2nd seed, and a slight chance we could have veen 6th seed.

• Like 1