If Kenny Pickett's hands are 8 to 8¼ inches, as reported, is he draftable?

Apparition

For context, the smallest hands I could find on record for an NFL QB were around 8.5". My own hands are exactly 8" and I can't properly grip a fully inflated NFL ball. 

Pickett uses gloves to grip the NCAA size ball, which has a circumference a full inch smaller than the NFL ball when fully inflated.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

For context, the smallest hands I could find on record for an NFL QB were around 8.5". My own hands are exactly 8" and I can't properly grip a fully inflated NFL ball. 

Pickett uses gloves to grip the NCAA size ball, which has a circumference a full inch smaller than the NFL ball when fully inflated.

Barbara Dunkelman Hello GIF by Rooster Teeth

• Like 4

Do they use a regulation NFL ball in the Senior Bowl or Combine?

Hand size itself is generally a non-issue. It could be indicative of an actual issue, inability to handle the football well, but it could also not be. I wouldn't be worried about his hand size, but I would be worried if he had issues handling an NFL football.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Do they use a regulation NFL ball in the Senior Bowl or Combine?

Hand size itself is generally a non-issue. It could be indicative of an actual issue, inability to handle the football well, but it could also not be. I wouldn't be worried about his hand size, but I would be worried if he had issues handling an NFL football.

Hand size is absolutely an issue when you're talking about a guy's ability to throw with velocity. If you're holding the ball like a waiter, or having to grip it further off-center, that's 100% going to affect how fast and how smoothly it comes out of your hand. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm curious about this too. I feel like you can't draft him high if that's true.

He'll have to throw at the combine (assuming there is one this year) to prove he can actually do it. If he refuses, I think you take him off your draft board.

46 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Hand size is absolutely an issue when you're talking about a guy's ability to throw with velocity. If you're holding the ball like a waiter, or having to grip it further off-center, that's 100% going to affect how fast and how smoothly it comes out of your hand. 

The size of Picketts' hands could have an impact on his throwing velocity. If it does, that is a problem obviously. But the problem would be his throwing velocity, not his small hands. It may seem like I'm arguing semantics, but I feel like the distinction is important. His hand size isn't necessarily a problem; if it impacts his throwing ability or ball handling ability, then it is a problem. Just the size of his hands is not a reason to not draft him or move him on a draft board. Teams are going to need to see him throw.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

The size of Picketts' hands could have an impact on his throwing velocity. If it does, that is a problem obviously. But the problem would be his throwing velocity, not his small hands. It may seem like I'm arguing semantics, but I feel like the distinction is important. His hand size isn't necessarily a problem; if it impacts his throwing ability or ball handling ability, then it is a problem. Just the size of his hands is not a reason to not draft him or move him on a draft board. Teams are going to need to see him throw.

How do you envision his hand size NOT impacting those things, though?