2017 Indianapolis Colts

Wyld Stallyns

Practice Notes from today

http://m.colts.com/news/article-1/Practice-Four-Training-Camp-Notebook-Colts-Back-In-Full-Pads-For-Thursday’s-Practice--/152b816d-c48a-4f69-accd-5ca73aa2c63a

➡️ Truthfully this is from Tuesday - T.Y.Hilton and Vontae Davis were very physical with each other which lead to a small altercation. Hilton responded by beating Davis deep for a touchdown. Both players hugged it out after practice.

➡️ Wednesday was an off day

➡️ Denzell Good split time at LG with Jack Mewhort. His (Mewhort's) reps were limited to not overwork him from the injury last year

➡️ Marlon Mack has been working on improving his blocking this spring and Chud is impressed with what he saw

➡️ Robert Mathis was present at camp again today. He is a volunteer coach but with the amount of time he has been giving and the respect the players have he might officially join the staff next year. 

➡️ NT David Parry and TE Mo Alie-Cox didn't participate today for the second straight day

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I am adopting the Colts as my third team.  Mostly because I'm embarrassed for Stallyns literally quoting himself trying to come up with conversation. 

Appresh, I don't like to pat myself on the back but I consider myself a master debator 

Colts waived WRs Tevaun Smith and Chris Briggs with injury designations 

they signed WR Valdez Showers and HB George Winn

Winn is a journeyman running back with 72 carrier rushing yards on 23 carries. He's been with multiple teams but all his carries came with Detroit in 2015

So what did we take from the Cowboys Game?

I think what Preseason is showing is that without Andrew Luck our offense is so stagnant. We seriously need to consider picking up a better backup. There has to be one out there that would be an upgrade and would keep us competitive whilst Luck is not playing.

We need Andrew back as soon as possible, yet with our current O-line it's seriously risky. Such a quandry.

I didn't see the game but I watched some highlight videos.

positives 

Marlon Mack looks like he could be exciting

defense is finding ways to create turnovers despite #3 negative

No glaring mistakes on special teams despite replacing 2/3s of guys

negatives

phillip Walker looks terrible still 

Scott Tolzien looks terrible still

Bad offense leaves defense on the field too long. 

Everything else 

I see many thing that I like, and many I do not. First...I want to address the back up QB thing. I am not the most knowledgeable fan out there, but I do understand some basic things. There are starters....and there are backups. The some of the more common things that make a difference are:

Accuracy

Information processing

Experience

Availability

FBI

Resilience....and others.

It is my opinion that there are not 32 quality starters out there, let alone 32 quality backups. There have been rare times...Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers....that back ups were starter quality, but that is the exception...not the rule. The Colts have been extremely fortunate regarding starting QB's. Expecting quality backups as well is simply not realistic. Chris Ballard is 1 of 32 hungry children (GM's) eating from the same back-up QB plate. I am surprised that fans who point out how a QB has done such as Morris in the preseason, dont see that the grasping of the entire playbook by the starting QB is extremely important to the offense working at a level that forces defenses and coordinators to remain honest when game planning and executing. I too see the chains being moved by Morris, but if he is only using a portion of the playbook and doing that against vanilla...preseason scheming, then he can appear to be a better option....but would likely get a full face of reality against full strength defenses throwing exotic blitz packages from continually changing positions. There may be weaknesses in the coaching of this team..or it's coordinators, but I highly doubt that they are just clueless in regards to the QB position. 

I see Scott getting better, and whether or not he was the right choice in the off-season, he now IS our choice, and I for one am getting behind him. Sure....Jay Cutler may have the ability to slide in just before the beginning of the season and run an NFL offense, but that list of players is extremely small and stupidly expensive. 

I don't think any Colts fan expects great things from a backup QB, just the fact that they have an understanding of the offence and are able to move the ball significantly across the field. 

A backup should also be ready to pick up the position when the starter goes down, and when our starter is Andrew Luck, a player who is known for having suffered through injury throughout his NFL career, they should, if possible, be more prepared than usual.

I don't blame our current offensive woes solely on Tolzien or Morris. The fact that they are playing behind a decimated O-Line doesn't help, heck Andrew Luck can tell anyone how much of an issue that is, but even though its extremely hard to find a quality backup, there are plenty that would love a chance and will take it when given one.

I haven't been impressed with our backup depth so far, but as long as they are Colts players I will support them and do believe we can compete in the division. A .500 season doesn't sound impressive but as we don't know how much of the season Luck will miss its something we should look at as an achievement and I hope whoever's running the plays on the field can take us to that and further if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the OP to recognize the new final 53. There are likely to be some waiver claims, and cuts tomorrow as well as players getting signed to the practice squad. 

Andrew Luck and Ryan Kelly are on the active roster but won't play right away. Kelly was expected to go on IR-Designated to Return but wasn't so he might get carried on the roster for a bit. Especially longer then Luck will be. 

Chester Rogers and Malik Hooker are both injured as well but Hooker was practicing with a Red jersey as late as last week. 

I wonder if the Colts are carrying 4 QBs because they don't want to expose Morris to waivers? Seems weird that they gave Phillip Walker every chance to beat Morris out until it was too obvious.

Archived