Could we be a 4-3 team again moving forward?

AZBearsFan

Just now, dll2000 said:

He sat out the Covid year and never mentally checked back into football for some reason.   It was a huge red flag when he sat out off-season and most all of camp for no good reason.  

He was a great player for a few seasons.  He could be again, but you can’t trust him now.  

This is why after ability and tape the number one thing every GM wants in a player is a love for the game itself.

If you view it as a grinding job that interferes with your partying or spending or just sitting around or whatever you really like to do than you will check out as soon as you have opportunity.  

Lots of guys that party and are good LT, Gronk, etc.  but they still love to play.   

9 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

If we got Williams alongside Mooney then I wouldn't want another WR to be at best a #3 option in the passing game...I would still be happy to take an OL but not WR if we sign a big name receiver.

Williams is a big name but he doesn't fit the speed dimension Poles mentioned. Combine that with the fact that he is hurt every 8th snap, I can't see Poles not further addressing WR

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

Williams is a big name but he doesn't fit the speed dimension Poles mentioned. Combine that with the fact that he is hurt every 8th snap, I can't see Poles not further addressing WR

I can't see him going after Williams for the reasons you just mentioned.

22 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He sat out the Covid year and never mentally checked back into football for some reason.   It was a huge red flag when he sat out off-season and most all of camp for no good reason.  

He was a great player for a few seasons.  He could be again, but you can’t trust him now.  

Agree. I'm trying not to jump to conclusions but that seems about as likely as it can be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

As much as building around Fields and improving the offence is going to be massive this offseason part of me wonders if we need to use two big resources to add the UT and NB alongside Roquan at WLB that we know Flus needs to make this offence work at it’s best…Indy devoted three big contracts there as well as trading a 1st for Buckner at UT…using a 2nd on Leonard at WLB and lucking into Moore…I just think we need to get that side of the ball set up right so we have something to hang our hats on as the offence comes together…D.J Reed IMO has to be our number 1 FA target to solve the huge issues we have at Nickleback as there is no who even comes close to a starting level let alone the elite that we are looking for…then I would have no issue using the #39 pick on Perrion Winfrey to solve the need at UT…adding him to Quinn, Mack & Gipson as well as retaining Nichols would give us the pass rush this D needs to go…just look at the dude…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5ERTF-n6Fc

I could live with that. 

42 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think it’s really difficult to know before we see what we do in FA…once we know that it gives us a much better idea but IMO we need to get away from thinking it has to be offence or defence at any point…a lot of us…me included…thought it had to be an offensive HC…truth is it had to be the best man for the job regardless of background…for us to become a quality team we just need to add the most talented guys at key positions…we have the QB…we hope we have LT in Jenkins…we would have a C if we resigned and moved Daniels there…we need a WR no doubt…those are probably the most impactful positions on offence…on defence we need a UT…we have the WILL in Roquan…we need the Nickle…of course we need to fill out the rest of the OL and get an outside CB and probably a Safety but we just need the very best talent.

You do make a good point. The way the team is currently structured, there is a logic to going BPA with every pick. Well, with some exceptions. (Not drafting a QB or DE with an early pick, for example.) 

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That’s why I try to find a way to keep guys like Hicks even though he is giant injury risk now.  Because if he is able he is going to be out there and he is a great example to others. 

I dunno.

Not only is Hicks injury-prone, he's not a very good fit in a 4-3. I think he's as good as gone. 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I dunno.

Not only is Hicks injury-prone, he's not a very good fit in a 4-3. I think he's as good as gone. 

I think Hicks could do really well in a 4-3. Hell we had Washington and Traylor as our DTs here and he is way more athletic than either of them. If Flus does use one DT as a 2 gapper then Hicks is ideal. If not then he still will command a ton of attention on the inside - when healthy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think Hicks could do really well in a 4-3. Hell we had Washington and Traylor as our DTs here and he is way more athletic than either of them. If Flus does use one DT as a 2 gapper then Hicks is ideal. If not then he still will command a ton of attention on the inside - when healthy.

To be honest, I'm not all that well versed on the specifics of Eberflus' defenses, outside of how well they've done statistically. Maybe Hicks would work out? I don't remember any Colts fans making appearances here...maybe we should summon one of their moderators? I'm sure one of the Chicago papers or sites will have a big write-up on Eberflus soon too, I suppose. 

30 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

To be honest, I'm not all that well versed on the specifics of Eberflus' defenses, outside of how well they've done statistically. Maybe Hicks would work out? I don't remember any Colts fans making appearances here...maybe we should summon one of their moderators? I'm sure one of the Chicago papers or sites will have a big write-up on Eberflus soon too, I suppose. 

From what I remember of Lovie (or what I remember trying to mimic while I made Madden franchises in 6th grade) is two DE's almost exclusively rushing the passer, subbing out and keeping fresh. A massive NT to absorb blockers and keep LB's clean, and then a pass rushing DT ala Tommie Harris/Henry Melton. Get to the QB with 4 and drop 7 all day.

12 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

From what I remember of Lovie (or what I remember trying to mimic while I made Madden franchises in 6th grade) is two DE's almost exclusively rushing the passer, subbing out and keeping fresh. A massive NT to absorb blockers and keep LB's clean, and then a pass rushing DT ala Tommie Harris/Henry Melton. Get to the QB with 4 and drop 7 all day.

Eberflus and Lovie actually talked a lot about the Tampa 2 when Lovie was our HC but he also served as a LB coach under Rob Ryan where they did a TON of blitzing and disguising coverages. Then was under Kiffin and Rod. So he can make do with either.

I do remember someone mentioning that he was annoyed that people pigeonholed his defense as Cover 2 only. He does blitz and use Cover 3 plenty too so he won't be as bound as some think to that scheme.

49 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Eberflus and Lovie actually talked a lot about the Tampa 2 when Lovie was our HC but he also served as a LB coach under Rob Ryan where they did a TON of blitzing and disguising coverages. Then was under Kiffin and Rod. So he can make do with either.

I do remember someone mentioning that he was annoyed that people pigeonholed his defense as Cover 2 only. He does blitz and use Cover 3 plenty too so he won't be as bound as some think to that scheme.

Thank god. I hate when defenses let offense dictate the flow of the game.

Hopefully Mack and Quinn can pin their ears back and drill ARod a few times...

What's the LB situation look like? Quan staying inside or moving to WILL? Who takes over for him inside?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

Thank god. I hate when defenses let offense dictate the flow of the game.

Hopefully Mack and Quinn can pin their ears back and drill ARod a few times...

What's the LB situation look like? Quan staying inside or moving to WILL? Who takes over for him inside?

Smith can thrive at any role but is likely going to be the WILL. Ogletree was pretty good in coverage overall so maybe he is a cheap SAM since they normally are on TEs? We don't have a MLB unless they are hoping Snowden can step in, and I'm VERY skeptical of that. DT needs to already be gone out of 2022's plans.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

My point is we know those two guys are needed for this D to excel...on offence we have more room to scheme things up to help Fields...we can also add more FAs and draft picks on the offensive side of the ball than we probably will use on Defence.

I don’t think the Bears should ignore their defensive needs. But they need to focus on building an offense around Fields. I’d much rather spend big on a few WRs or OL and enter the season with a rookie 3T. Bears have already invested a lot of money in the defense.

24 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I don’t think the Bears should ignore their defensive needs. But they need to focus on building an offense around Fields. I’d much rather spend big on a few WRs or OL and enter the season with a rookie 3T. Bears have already invested a lot of money in the defense.

For this style of D we will always need to spend money and resources at these key positions...3 Tech is very much so one of them.

• Like 1