(Discussion) Designing The 2022 and Beyond Leadership & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

I've always found FootballOutsiders more reliable than certainly the NFL statistics as well as PFF.  They take scheduling into account as well as even the situation.  The example they use is that a gain of 5 yds on 3rd and 4 means more than a gain of 5 yds on 1st and 10 and red zone plays have even more value.

If we've learned anything about NFL statistics, yards per game are rather meaningless and while pts per game do mean something, it doesn't take into account the positions those defenses were put in.  While I don't know the specifics of the situations, I do know the Broncos only turned the ball over on offense 4 more times than the VIkings did and generated 3 less TOs than the VIkings did on defense.  So, I don't think it's as clear as you think it is.  I think it's very viable that the VIkings defense is better than the Broncos, when you look at it in more detail than just using the generic NFL statistics.

8 hours ago, swede700 said:

I've always found FootballOutsiders more reliable than certainly the NFL statistics as well as PFF.  They take scheduling into account as well as even the situation.  The example they use is that a gain of 5 yds on 3rd and 4 means more than a gain of 5 yds on 1st and 10 and red zone plays have even more value.

If we've learned anything about NFL statistics, yards per game are rather meaningless and while pts per game do mean something, it doesn't take into account the positions those defenses were put in.  While I don't know the specifics of the situations, I do know the Broncos only turned the ball over on offense 4 more times than the VIkings did and generated 3 less TOs than the VIkings did on defense.  So, I don't think it's as clear as you think it is.  I think it's very viable that the VIkings defense is better than the Broncos, when you look at it in more detail than just using the generic NFL statistics.

Maybe, obviously yards per gave given up does not take into account competition but the Broncos go up against the Raiders, Chiefs and Chargers who could ALL be Playoff teams.  Minnesota goes up against Chicago, Detroit and Green Bay and only ONE of those teams are a playoff team or even a good team.  Thought they took into account scheduling, granted non conference could have been a bit harder for Minnesota, in division was absolutely not harder for Minnesota.

Clearly they overvalue turnovers created and or sacks potentially.

Points per game is basically all that matters and the Broncos were great at that.  Not to mention anyone with two eyes can see one secondary is garbage and the other secondary is wildly talented, youthful and promising.  No clue how Harrison Smith made the Pro bowl but good for him and lack of any other good safeties in the NFC helped.  The backup corners on Denver could start on Minnesota arguably.

Pat Surtain II
Kyle Fuller
Ronald Darby
Michael Ojemudia
Bryce Callahan
Duke Dawson Jr.

So yes read what stats you want to read but to stay that assumption is not totally wrong, well I believe it to be exactly that.  That "FootballOutsiders" take into account who was hurt or traded away for Denver?  I doubt it....so there is that.

PFF I do not really look at much, I just looked at team rankings before this last week on ESPN.com and listed off where each unit was and it was pretty obvious which one is better no only stat wise but in terms of talent, overall youth and potential down the road.  Thus most likely better coached as well.

Think what you wish.

Four years ago, the worst-kept secret in the NFL was that the Raiders will hire Jon Gruden to be the team’s head coach. In the upcoming interview/hiring cycle, the worst-kept secret in the NFL could become that the Raiders will hire Jim Harbaugh as the permanent replacement for Gruden.

For now, buzz is building in league circles that team owner Mark Davis wants, and will get, the former 49ers and current Michigan coach. The man who took a 6-10 team to the NFC Championship in his first year and who nearly won a Super Bowl in his second. The man who went 44-19-1 in four seasons as an NFL head coach.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/09/buzz-builds-of-jim-harbaugh-to-raiders/

58 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Jacksonville
Las Vegas
Chicago
Denver

What other places are people expecting to see open up?

Seattle?
Houston?
New York Giants?

I don’t see Joe Judge being let go. Maybe i guess, but I wouldn’t mind bringing him this way for a Special teams coach. 

Daboll worked with him on the Patriots. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Jacksonville
Las Vegas
Chicago
Denver

What other places are people expecting to see open up?

Seattle?
Houston?
New York Giants?

No way Houston lets go of their guy after just hiring him, same with the Giants.  It is not like either one was Urban Meyer in terms of F ups this season for either team.  Seattle sure but only if they fire him which I doubt or Pete wants out which I doubt.

23 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

gimmie

Sure they will go a different way getting a more offensive type guy.

Honestly though the Bears did that, Fangio became the HC elsewhere and they hired an "offensive guy" in Matt Nagy, supposed to solve the Bears QB issues.  They would have been better off hiring Vic back then and curious if they would go back to him again now as a HC.

Honestly probably should and I still feel he should not have been fired considering how young and talented that team is.

Oh and outside of just the corners which I already listed they are stacked at safety.  I recall some dude around here ripping on Sterns as if he had issues coming out of Texas, guess what kid can ball and honestly Vikings could have easily taken him.  

Justin Simmons
Kareem Jackson
Clinton-Dix
Caden Sterns
Jamar Johnson
PJ Locke

46 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Absolutely not. I want nothing to do with Fangio unless it's as a Defensive Coordinator. 

100% would love him as DC.

Let him run the entire defense. Bring in a heavily offensive minded HC and I'll be excited for 2022 even with the roster we have now.