(Discussion) Designing The 2022 and Beyond Leadership & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I just don’t get the Bieniemy love. 

Remember when Brad Childress was asked if Mike Tomlin was going to leave the Vikings for a college HC job and Childress said "He won't be a HC in college"?  

How did he, and apparently most NFL owners, know this about Tomlin?   

We need the guy the media doesn't peddle to the masses.  I do agree some of the "hot names" are intriguing.   But until a GM is hired, I think coaches are on the back burner.  If we could get a Mike Tomlin type, I'd be ok with that😉

5 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Me either. He doesn't even call plays, right? No thanks. In my opinion, we can't even risk hiring a coach that has never had play calling duties. I don't want another Klint Kubiak or John DeFillipo

It’s not even about the lack of play calling, for me. 

Bieniemy constantly gets brought up because of how successful the Chiefs offense has been. But I’m very hesitant to give Bieniemy much of the credit. We all know that Andy Reid is the architect of that offense, but even Mike Kafka is listed as the passing game coordinator. So, what is Bieniemy responsible for? 

Bieniemy is a former running back, who’s only ever coached the running back position. I have zero reason to believe that is Bieniemy we’re put in charge of a team he’d A.) choose to be a pass oriented team, or B.) would have success creating a pass oriented offense. 

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Bieniemy constantly gets brought up because of how successful the Chiefs offense has been. But I’m very hesitant to give Bieniemy much of the credit. We all know that Andy Reid is the architect of that offense, but even Mike Kafka is listed as the passing game coordinator. So, what is Bieniemy responsible for? 

Bieniemy is a former running back, who’s only ever coached the running back position. I have zero reason to believe that is Bieniemy we’re put in charge of a team he’d A.) choose to be a pass oriented team, or B.) would have success creating a pass oriented offense. 

I agree. Same could be said for Byron Leftwich. Worried about him as his name started really coming up with the success of Brady. 

• Like 1

Just going to post these here as two sources of potential GM names.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-gm-candidates-watch-nflwk-15-2021-2022/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notebook-top-gm-candidates-entering-2022-plus-head-coaching-options-for-jaguars/

I'm agreeing with @SemperFeist that Ed Dodds, AGM of the Colts, is an interesting candidate.

It will be interesting to see how much of the scouting department is retained. A new general manager is going to want a lot of his guys in there, I would assume. However, with the college All-Star games and combine coming up fairly soon, this process is going to have to move quickly. I think we will see a lot of turnover in the scouting department after the draft is over.

18 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

It will be interesting to see how much of the scouting department is retained. A new general manager is going to want a lot of his guys in there, I would assume. However, with the college All-Star games and combine coming up fairly soon, this process is going to have to move quickly. I think we will see a lot of turnover in the scouting department after the draft is over.

That’s usually how it always works. Although scouting departments don’t change as much as people think. 

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I mean Zimmer has been the longest tenured head coach without a ring. Same with Spielman. Not much reason to believe they cared about fielding a super bowl winner vs keeping competitive.

Just because they wanted to give them a chance to build off of a playoff win and have them another chance after a messed up covid year doesn't mean they don't care about winning a super bowl

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I just don’t get the Bieniemy love. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I personally don't have any issue with the "play-calling" type situation. I just think people like to chase after that Reid coaching tree of late. 

When you are currently thinking offense in the NFL so many people lead to Andy Reids Chiefs. After what we saw these past couple years this offense probably could use an offensive minded coach, or at least a HC that's open to just let the OC call the plays. Creativity, and being flexible in this offense could open it up. Maybe he is also just one of those "good coaches" also. I really wouldn't be upset with the hire at all. Young coach that could be along for the ride for a long time if he does work out. I think that is something everyone is looking for, its just hard to catch.

“One thing I’ve learned from coach is to always remain flexible. In order to expand, you always want to stay a step or two ahead of everyone and what they’re thinking around the league. And so, that’s been one thing that I love – the creativity and the conversations that we have, and just the way we study, we approach things, and we piece it together.” - Eric Bieniemy