(Discussion) Designing The 2022 and Beyond Leadership & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

Saw this discussion on Twitter, but what are the odds they leave Spielman and Zimmer intact for me more year and let the refresh begin with a new era and a clean slate? With still having some key veterans in place for at least one more year on their contracts (Hunter, Kendricks, Cleveland, Jefferson)

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I've never had a huge problem with Trubisky.  I had a problem with the coach that was developing him.  I think, in the right situation, Trubisky could be a capable QB.  Not a great one, but certainly a capable one.

Tannehill-esque?

4 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is that because that's what he wants or because that's what the coaches expect from him? 

That I do not know.  Since I didn't watch him in Washington, I don't know if he did the same thing there.  Our Washington/Virginia/Maryland folks would have to chime in on that.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

Saw this discussion on Twitter, but what are the odds they leave Spielman and Zimmer intact for me more year and let the refresh begin with a new era and a clean slate? With still having some key veterans in place for at least one more year on their contracts (Hunter, Kendricks, Cleveland, Jefferson)

I'd prefer to get a year of fresh eyes on those soon-to-be contract needing players, but it's a decision I could see the Wilf's making.

Just now, swede700 said:

I can't remember the last time I actually saw Cousins audible out of a play.  I'm certain it happens on occasion, but I don't notice it a lot.  

He’s done it a few times, but I think most of them are pretty basic. I think I remember P.A. Brought up something along the lines of he’s basically given to plays but most times formations aren’t changing. Simple run to a quick throw.

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

If I'm the Wilf's...why delay the inevitable? 

It'll be the same coach, same players, same result.

We don't have to get rid of the veteran players THIS off-season but it's time to see what a different coach can do with those players before we send them packing. 

1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

If I'm the Wilf's...why delay the inevitable? 

It'll be the same coach, same players, same result.

We don't have to get rid of the veteran players THIS off-season but it's time to see what a different coach can do with those players before we send them packing. 

Playoff contending teams fill seats. Drama fills seats. Maybe the Wilf’s are just fine with average as long as they aren’t bottom feeders. Consistency…..

I hope not, and I in a way doubt it. 

The only other issue I slightly see is Kirk. The contract. Maybe he scares off other coaches.  More than likely we have a good shot with Kirk to beat the Bears. Probably not going to have a top 10 pick…. And with Kirk next year, it still will be probably tough to move him, you’re going to be a new coach with an aging team, and probably sitting around the 15th pick or better starting next year, but you will not be cap strapped and actually have the option to pick your QB of the future. 

maybe the Wilfs just really like Spielman and Zim…..

15 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

If Wilf is content finishing around .500, it’s an effective strategy. I’m convinced that Wilf doesn’t mind mediocre to be honest. We’re relevant and that sells tickets.

16 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Playoff contending teams fill seats. Drama fills seats. Maybe the Wilf’s are just fine with average as long as they aren’t bottom feeders. Consistency…..

I hope not, and I in a way doubt it. 

The only other issue I slightly see is Kirk. The contract. Maybe he scares off other coaches.  More than likely we have a good shot with Kirk to beat the Bears. Probably not going to have a top 10 pick…. And with Kirk next year, it still will be probably tough to move him, you’re going to be a new coach with an aging team, and probably sitting around the 15th pick or better starting next year, but you will not be cap strapped and actually have the option to pick your QB of the future. 

maybe the Wilfs just really like Spielman and Zim…..

I think the way the Wilf's have always spent money, fired previous coaches, and have let Rick and the HC do their thing without much interference tells me they're not owners that are fine with flirting around .500. I 100% expect that the Wilf's would love the money from a playoff game or two played in Minnesota. And I think we've only had 3 since they bought the team (W vs. Dallas, L vs. Seattle, W vs. NO)

Besides, a team that goes nowhere means fans get angry/bored, they don't buy the tickets (already saw season ticket sales ads), the fandom turns sour, and eventually it means less $$$ coming in. While it's not going to be the days of having to give out tickets to prevent a blackout, you never want your fanbase to get sick of the team and not spend as much money as they would on a 12-5 team.

I know 100% they love Spielman and that's why I'm sure he'll get a "promotion" instead of being fired.

But as a new coach, it depends. Does an offensive minded younger HC get tempted by having Cook, Jefferson, Thielen, KJ, ISJ/Conklin, a very good RT, and a LT that could be protecting his QB for 10 years? That's a hell of an offensive core even with Cook and Thielen probably on the backside of their careers. 

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If Wilf is content finishing around .500, it’s an effective strategy. I’m convinced that Wilf doesn’t mind mediocre to be honest. We’re relevant and that sells tickets.

The main reasons I actually don't believe it (even though I brought it up as an option) is:

1. The money they have spend on keeping their "franchise" players around.
2. The money spent on brining in free agents that actually were attracted to Minnesota
3. The money spent on bringing in high profile veteran coaches. Ex-head coach's. Most are going to demand more money than the average coach moving up the ranks.
4. Kirk Cousins, I believe they put a lot of faith in their staff that they could win with him. I actually do believe if we could have stayed healthy these past couple years without the odd timing of deaths of coach's, mental illness's and key players getting injured we could have a shot. But this is the NFL, that's a big pipe dream to hope your best players can all stay healthy.

The Wilf's have one priority, spend money to make money. They are spending and making money, it just hasn't worked out to be "extra" successful.

I agree with a lot of the above.  I don't believe the Wilfs are content on mediocrity, but they are intent on having patience.   I think, in this particular situation, they have been pretty patient with Zimmer, and have had some success as a result.  But, they are always very aware of the big picture and believe they will make a change now.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

But as a new coach, it depends. Does an offensive minded younger HC get tempted by having Cook, Jefferson, Thielen, KJ, ISJ/Conklin, a very good RT, and a LT that could be protecting his QB for 10 years? That's a hell of an offensive core even with Cook and Thielen probably on the backside of their careers. 

Not to mention Ezra Cleveland, Danielle Hunter, (aging but still above average) Harrison Smith, Eric Kendricks.

Are they tempted? Absolutely, no doubt in my mind they are tempted. 
The issue is still Kirk Cousins. You have to find someone to deal with him. At the end of the day it almost makes no sense in cutting him. You're cap strapped. Only way out is to hope you can find a team to trade and you still are eating part of the salary with a trade. And then you will almost be dependent on starting a rookie. I honestly don't see signing another veteran stop gap when you cap hit probably would end up similar to just keeping Cousins and have a better QB.

The team is full of aging veterans that probably won't be on top too long. It's almost too talented for a new coach to not try and help go for winning in the next 1-2 years. This offseason could get pretty interesting with a new GM & HC