Raiders rookie CB Nate Hobbs arrested for DUI

RaidersAreOne

I’ll go with the (small) positive first. I’m glad that he got back to his car and decided to try and sleep it off instead of drive.

Now for the bad. Why are our players still driving to places when they know they’re going to be drinking??? Absolutely infuriating given the facilities and services available to them. Hobbs has been great on the field, and hopefully this is a one off which he will learn from. Right now though, he’s looking incredibly dumb.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I’ll go with the (small) positive first. I’m glad that he got back to his car and decided to try and sleep it off instead of drive.

Now for the bad. Why are our players still driving to places when they know they’re going to be drinking??? Absolutely infuriating given the facilities and services available to them. Hobbs has been great on the field, and hopefully this is a one off which he will learn from. Right now though, he’s looking incredibly dumb.

I will add to that by saying what are professional athletes doing drinking in the middle of the season when they know we have the biggest game the Raiders have been involved in since 2016 next week - before we even consider the point that they took their car. It doesn't sit well with "giving everything they have" and "being focussed entirely on the game" and "giving the fans 110%"...insert other cliches as you see fit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heart of Oak said:

I will add to that by saying what are professional athletes doing drinking in the middle of the season when they know we have the biggest game the Raiders have been involved in since 2016 next week - before we even consider the point that they took their car. It doesn't sit well with "giving everything they have" and "being focussed entirely on the game" and "giving the fans 110%"...insert other cliches as you see fit.

Lack of self control or the ability to control impulse. Plain and simple. 

I'm not one to say they shouldn't have a life during the season, but when the season is on the line, get your *** in gear. 

Worse, it's not like it was a Saturday night.  It was a fkin Monday morning.

I'm guessing maybe they had the day off following the game on Sunday, but come on you troglodyte, the day off is for resting up for the biggest week of practice of the season, and you're going to go out and get so drunk you pass out...in your car...on a parking lot exit ramp...in the same city your teammate just killed someone in a horrible tragedy just a couple of months ago. 

I, frankly, will not codone him for simply "not going 150 on a residential street". The NFL has a rides program he failed to use. He's an idiot. And, to be blunt, I want his *** off the team, if only because he clearly has the IQ of a brick. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Agreed. I don't think golden knights have had one incident. They in the same city. 

This is a little different for various reasons;
1. They had an expansion draft, and were built of veteran players. Not young players. 
2. hockey teams are way smaller, so less players in general on a team. 
3. Not nearly as famous in the US or as highly paid.

I do think the big one is just the expansion draft, and the knights building a team of veterans who were hungry for one last title. 

Also, hockey is an expensive sport to play. Some kids in the nfl come from almost nothing, and are given the world. 
-

but it is a good point. If they can keep it under control, it shows there can be professional athletes there. Id imagine NBA players would get in trouble though

2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

1. They had an expansion draft, and were built of veteran players. Not young players. 

I do think the big one is just the expansion draft, and the knights building a team of veterans who were hungry for one last title. 

Also, hockey is an expensive sport to play. Some kids in the nfl come from almost nothing, and are given the world. 
-

but it is a good point. If they can keep it under control, it shows there can be professional athletes there. Id imagine NBA players would get in trouble though

Miami, Los Angeles, and New York have a ton going on all of the time as well. Has any other professional sports organization dealt with as much drama as we have this season?

1 minute ago, BackinBlack said:

-

Hockey players hit the sauce harder than any other athletes to be honest. Those dudes are insane. They just smarter about it. That's the difference. Getting paid More money or coming from proverty has no barring on getting dui. Honestly there are way richer and more famous people than football players in Vegas every day of the week. Vegas has sooo many services for people with money not to get in trouble. It's all personal responsibility. Not the city. 

12 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

-

I'd argue against all these points and think comparing the Raiders to Golden Knights is very fair.

1. Many of them were young players. Cody Glass, Shea Theodore, Karlsson, Brannstrom, now Nolan Patrick etc

2. There's 25-28 players at any point between the active 20 and IR as well as 3rd goalie, and during the cup run the black Aces so 30ish

3. Ruggs, Hobbs and Jacobs aren't that highly paid compared to the Knights. I'd also argue Marc Andre Fluery and Ryan Reaves were more noticeable around town

I think its incredibly fair to compare them. What makes the Knights so much better at decisions? It isn't education either because most the NHL guys went to junior and missed college and even high school. Raiders just have to figure this out. Reaves was awesome for the community and same as Marchessault 

Edited by kmonahan07

15 minutes ago, kmonahan07 said:

I'd argue against all these points and think comparing the Raiders to Golden Knights is very fair.

1. Many of them were young players. Cody Glass, Shea Theodore, Karlsson, Brannstrom, now Nolan Patrick etc

2. There's 25-28 players at any point between the active 20 and IR as well as 3rd goalie, and during the cup run the black Aces so 30ish

3. Ruggs, Hobbs and Jacobs aren't that highly paid compared to the Knights. I'd also argue Marc Andre Fluery and Ryan Reaves were more noticeable around town

I think its incredibly fair to compare them. What makes the Knights so much better at decisions? It isn't education either because most the NHL guys went to junior and missed college and even high school. Raiders just have to figure this out. Reaves was awesome for the community and same as Marchessault 

So 5 young players out of 30. The raiders were one of the nfl youngest teams when the moved. The knights were an older team. I’m speaking strictly average age compared to the league.

if you include practice squad nfl is 60 so it’s half, that is a difference.

hobbs I’ll give you for pay, he def isn’t make as much but Ruggs and jacobs were around 5mil which is pretty decent pay in nhl I thought.

in the playoffs year one sure flurry prob was, but not in the reg season. Vegas fans didn’t start catching on until the team was winning. 

if you think the nhl stars are just as big in the USA as football players I’d guess you live in Pittsburgh/ Chicago or Canada ha.

hockey players in general get in way less trouble than football players. Is that because of the different cities? 

13 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

So 5 young players out of 30. The raiders were one of the nfl youngest teams when the moved. The knights were an older team. I’m speaking strictly average age compared to the league.

if you include practice squad nfl is 60 so it’s half, that is a difference.

hobbs I’ll give you for pay, he def isn’t make as much but Ruggs and jacobs were around 5mil which is pretty decent pay in nhl I thought.

in the playoffs year one sure flurry prob was, but not in the reg season. Vegas fans didn’t start catching on until the team was winning. 

if you think the nhl stars are just as big in the USA as football players I’d guess you live in Pittsburgh/ Chicago or Canada ha.

hockey players in general get in way less trouble than football players. Is that because of the different cities? 

I'm just outside Boston so there's prob 3 bruins everyone knows and 3 pats people would recognize if they're just average people walking, but I'm not sure what it is about the culture that is doing this DUI craze, the free ride program has to be known by players by now

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm not one to say they shouldn't have a life during the season, but when the season is on the line, get your *** in gear. 

When you are a professional athlete, a person who is paid to be at your physical best to play what is at the end of the day "just a game" then I do think you should abstain during the season - there are about 30 weeks a year that are out of season so plenty of time to enjoy a tipple and have a life.

I am not willing to throw him under the bus yet, maybe he got back to his car and decided this was a bad idea and was going to sleep it off - but get an uber and pick the car up the next day.

4 minutes ago, Heart of Oak said:

When you are a professional athlete, a person who is paid to be at your physical best to play what is at the end of the day "just a game" then I do think you should abstain during the season - there are about 30 weeks a year that are out of season so plenty of time to enjoy a tipple and have a life.

6 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Aside from the Ruggs incident which was obviously horrible, what makes this even worse is that we literally have one game left, a game that is essentially a playoff game, at home on SNF. If we win we're in the playoffs, if we lose our season is over and the entire team can do whatever they want for the next 8 months. Hobbs is one of our most important players and we have a huge matchup against Keenan Allen. And this is the time he decided it was a good idea to get drunk and drive around Vegas at 4 in the morning? The team in general just lacks leadership which is why so many of our players have done bone headed stuff off the field, no one takes accountability or realizes the importance of being dependable to the team. Do you think any of the Patriots players were out drinking and celebrating after a regular season win? No. Because Bill told them to lock in, strap their nuts on, and get ready to make a push in the playoffs.

• Like 2

And with how crazy covid has been the team should've sent a stern message to all of the players after the Colts game. Do not go out and screw around this week around the general public. If you get covid you could potentially transmit it to other key players on the team and screw our entire season. You guys can party and do whatever you want as soon as we're eliminated but now is the time to focus. Nate Hobbs went straight from the team facility to the club and then tried to drive home drunk, lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Aside from the Ruggs incident which was obviously horrible, what makes this even worse is that we literally have one game left, a game that is essentially a playoff game, at home on SNF. If we win we're in the playoffs, if we lose our season is over and the entire team can do whatever they want for the next 8 months. Hobbs is one of our most important players and we have a huge matchup against Keenan Allen. And this is the time he decided it was a good idea to get drunk and drive around Vegas at 4 in the morning? The team in general just lacks leadership which is why so many of our players have done bone headed stuff off the field, no one takes accountability or realizes the importance of being dependable to the team. Do you think any of the Patriots players were out drinking and celebrating after a regular season win? No. Because Bill told them to lock in, strap their nuts on, and get ready to make a push in the playoffs.

While this may be true, by the time I was 22 I did not need "leadership" from anyone to stop me doing bone-headed things. Hobbs at 22 is not a boy, he is a man and is responsible for his own 'ish'.

If at that age you need led then it just reveals a weakness of mind, a lack of maturity and a lack of personal accountability. Can leadership mitigate these things, yes, to an extent, but I would argue it is not up to the HC, Coaching staff or QB to stop Hobbs from making bad decisions. There is only one person who is responsible for this action...and that is Nate Hobbs.

• Like 1