Week 18 GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

49ers will have to have their best rushing performance of the season, coverage game of the season, pass rush game of the season, and turnover + penalty luck on their side. Maybe Trey can provide a few big plays, but it's going to be a really tough task for the rook. I think practically our best chance is for the Falcons to beat the Saints at home. However I hate the LA Rams, so I'll be holding a candlelight vigil all week for a miraculous win. Final score 49ers 24 Rams 21. Go Squad. :)

If Pitts isn't playing in that game, I have no idea how they are even moving the ball against the Saints, to be honest. Hoping for the best, but that's going to be a pretty threadbare team offensively at this point. 

I feel like this is the biggest regular season game for both teams in a very long time bc of the steaks. Lets break down why it is?

For the Rams its not just getting the monkey off their back and finally beating the Niners but its them winning the division and getting the 2nd seed. Also if the Saints beat the Falcons and the Rams beat the Niners the Niners wont make the playoffs. That will then set up Rams v Saints in the 1st round which imo is the easiest playoff matchup in this season playoffs. The Saints defense is legit but their offense wont even score 13pts thus the Rams even in a C game could beat the Saints in LA. And it would help Stafford get the monkey off his back of never winning in the playoffs. Once he does I think everything could get easier for him. Then there is if the Packers somehow get upset in the 2nd round and the Rams have that 2 seed then they will have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs including the Superbowl if they do keep advancing.

For the Niners its them continuing to own the Rams if they win plus they will get into the playoffs and might even see the Rams again as quickly as the wildcard round if things go a certain way which would then really be great for the Niners bc they could come in knowing the Rams just cant beat them and the Rams would more than likely be one and done in that scenario. Plus if Lance starts and he wins that will give him the confidence that if he can beat the Rams being this raw then moving forward in his career if he can develop to his true potential then it could be scary for the Rams against the Niners bc of Lance being even better with the weapons he has around him. And I do think if the Niners can get in with Lance and then Jimmy G gets another week to rest and get healthier then I think they could be a problem for again the Rams and they have been a problem for the Packers in recent history. The Packers cant stop the run and thats what the Niners can do is run the ball. The Packers OL is banged up and the Niners can rush the passer with guys like Bosa. So the Niners could be that team that nobody wants to face if they win this game get into the playoffs with confidence and it would help Lance moving forward.

So overall this game as I mentioned is the biggest regular season game that both teams have had in awhile bc of the steaks. Now Im not picking the Rams in this game until I see them actually beat the Niners. I think the Rams are on a roll winning 5 straight. All of their big name guys that they acquired during the season is playing at a high level in Von, OBJ, and Michel. The Rams will get back Akers too which is going to be key. I dont think the Rams will have the same gameplan as the first meeting where they didnt even try to run. They are going to run the ball with Michel and Akers. To me its going to come down to Stafford taking care of the ball and then on defense making Lance look like he is and thats an inexperienced rookie. If Jimmy G plays hopefully the Rams can make him make mistakes bc he isnt fully healthy with his finger injury. I do think the Rams can win especially if Lance is playing but Im just not going to pick them until I actually see it with my eyes that they finally have won since the 2018 season when they obviously swept the Niners which obviously was the season they went to the Superbowl. So we shall see. Good luck in this game and may the best team on the field on Sunday win. 

I hate how non cocky you guys are after beating us five straight times.

I get so angry watching the Niners play other teams the last two seasons. Feel free to play the first half against us how you played last week against Houston.

If I'm McVay, I'd have made everyone come in for a special film session on Monday, put the first game we played on half speed - with commercials - and watch that beat down unfold for 7 hours.

The worst part about this is that of Philly wins Saturday and New Orleans loses, even if we beat the Niners GUESS WHAT?? Playing them again the following week.

If the Rams don't come out fired up for this game with a chance to clinch the division and after five straight losses to you guys....I'll have no words.

I'll go homer for my psyche and say Rams come out firing and win 30-20.

17 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I hate how non cocky you guys are after beating us five straight times.

I get so angry watching the Niners play other teams the last two seasons. Feel free to play the first half against us how you played last week against Houston.

If I'm McVay, I'd have made everyone come in for a special film session on Monday, put the first game we played on half speed - with commercials - and watch that beat down unfold for 7 hours.

The worst part about this is that of Philly wins Saturday and New Orleans loses, even if we beat the Niners GUESS WHAT?? Playing them again the following week.

If the Rams don't come out fired up for this game with a chance to clinch the division and after five straight losses to you guys....I'll have no words.

I'll go homer for my psyche and say Rams come out firing and win 30-20.

We lost twice to the Seahawks, a Colt McCoy led Cardinals team and have lost multiple games where we out gained the opponent by over a 100 yards. Please tell me why we would be cocky? 🤩

4 hours ago, Forge said:

So if we win...we are basically locked in to playing Tampa, I think. 

Jimmy v Tom. 

The NFL wants this to happen. 

If the 49ers, Tampa, and Arizona win, the 49ers play Arizona 

If the 49ers and Bucs win, but Arizona loses, 49ers play the Rams 

If the 49ers win and Tampa loses, we play Tampa, regardless of whatever else happens 

Basically, if we win, the eagles game doesn't matter, but if we lose: 

If the niners, saints, Tampa, and eagles lose, the niners will play Tampa

If the niners, saints, and Tampa lose, but the eagles win, the 49ers will play the Rams 

If the niners, saints, eagles lose, and Tampa wins, the niners will play Dallas 

If we lose, the Cardinals game doesn't matter 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

This is basically my dream scenario.. a Rams/49ers wildcard game would be fun as hell

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

On the one hand, it’s going to suck if we lose and miss the playoffs by a nose hair…at the same time, despite a solid season from the team overall, I’m not sure we deserve to go to the playoffs.

You can't lose the games we lost and then complain about missing the playoffs. Unacceptable losing to the Seahawks twice and the Titans after completely dominating the first half. At some point, you are what your record says you are! Good thing is usually with seasons like this, there is a progression to the mean for the following season. But for this season? If we don't get in, then it is what it is. We have had a bunch of injuries like every year but Jimmy, Deebo and Bosa for the most part have stayed healthy. Kittle had a stint on IR but he's been relatively healthy as well. Can't blow opportunities like this. Next season there is no guarantee that Deebo and Bosa will play as many games, especially with their injury history. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, N4L said:

If the 49ers, Tampa, and Arizona win, the 49ers play Arizona - correct

If the 49ers and Bucs win, but Arizona loses, 49ers play the Rams - if SF wins they're the 6 seed. If Dallas wins, they're the 3 seed over us. So this scenario only plays out this way if Dallas loses. Niners play Dallas if they win or the Rams if they lose.

If the 49ers win and Tampa loses, we play Tampa, regardless of whatever else happens - in this scenario, if Dallas wins, they win the three way tie breaker due to conference record. Then we are the 3 seed over Tampa because of the head to head win. Niners would play the Rams if Dallas wins, but Tampa if Dallas loses.

Basically, if we win, the eagles game doesn't matter, but if we lose: 

If the niners, saints, Tampa, and eagles lose, the niners will play Tampa - correct

If the niners, saints, and Tampa lose, but the eagles win, the 49ers will play the Rams - Tampa is meaningless to this one. If the Niners and Saints lose, and the Eagles win - Niners are the 7 seed and the Rams are the 2 seed, locked in.

If the niners, saints, eagles lose, and Tampa wins, the niners will play Dallas - if the Rams and Tampa win, Tampa is the 3 seed. If the Eagles and Saints lose, Niners are the 6 seed. In this scenario the Niners would play Tampa. 

If we lose, the Cardinals game doesn't matter

• Like 3

We would rather play the Eagles or Saints - or the Cardinals, but that one is very unlikely - than the Niners.

If I was a Niners fan, I'd prefer the Rams, but I guess I'll ask:

It's almost equally likely for you to play either the Rams, Bucs or Cowboys - who would y'all prefer?

1 hour ago, John232 said:

On the one hand, it’s going to suck if we lose and miss the playoffs by a nose hair…at the same time, despite a solid season from the team overall, I’m not sure we deserve to go to the playoffs.

I am not sure where this deserving to go into the playoffs comes from... we have had a heard time with divisional opponents mainly through turnovers.  The games that we have lost turnovers have been a large part.  We beat the team that just beat KC, we lost on a short week and away to the current number 1 AFC seed.  I did not see the McCoy game due to my work schedule but that sounds like the only game that we were outclassed in.

Of the 4 possible WC teams, if you let the division winners pick who they play we would probably be the last team any of the divisional winners want to face.  If we get to the playoffs, however we get there this team deserves to be there.