2022 Bills Offseason Outlook

soflbillsfan

Since it is a new year I figured I would start a new thread. I do not want to overlook the playoff talk in any way. It is great to be back in the postseason with a potential back to back divisional champs on the line for week 18. I wanted to see what the bills need to continue being a divisional champ for the future. What players are you interested whether it is re-signing, trading, free agent pick ups, and draft. Who do you want to see cut.

Bills are currently under 9.5 mil in cap space going in to 2022 offseason.

Key Free Agents leaving:

Jerry Hughes
Mario Addison
Emmanuel Sanders
Isiah Mckenzie
Levi Wallace
Mitchell Trubisky
Vernon Butler
Harrison Phillips
Matt Breida
Ike Boettger
Taiwan Jones
Siran Neal

Edited by soflbillsfan
  • Like 1

My top needs heading into the off season go in order

OL, RB, Edge rusher, CB

I'd like for us to sign OL help (Scherff, Armstead, Norwell) and sign a veteran pass rusher ( Chandler Jones, JPP, Akiem Hicks) ? 

We most definitely need to prioritize fixing our trenches on both sides of the ball 

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Key Free Agents leaving:

Jerry Hughes
Mario Addison
Emmanuel Sanders
Isiah Mckenzie
Levi Wallace
Mitchell Trubisky
Vernon Butler
Harrison Phillips
Matt Breida
Ike Boettger
Taiwan Jones
Siran Neal

Wallace, Neal, Boettger, Harrison Phillips and McKenzie would be on my list. Wouldn't care about losing the rest.

Bills likely release or restructure Beasley, Felciano, Daryl Williams and Star to create another 10-12 million in space

47 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Wallace, Neal, Boettger, Harrison Phillips and McKenzie would be on my list. Wouldn't care about losing the rest.

Bills likely release or restructure Beasley, Felciano, Daryl Williams and Star to create another 10-12 million in space

I'd bring Trubisky back too tbh, cheap, known quantity.

4 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I would too but I assume the stink of Chicago has worn off him enough that some team will play him to come in and compete either with a rookie or a shaky starter (CLE, WAS, NO, DET).

There's also a chance he'd go with Daboll depending on where he lands.

14 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I just dont think he will re-sign he is going to look for a starting gig next year. With a bad Free Agency and Qb Draft class some team will take a swing on him. Denver, NYG, NOLA, Houston, Detroit if they cut goff, Browns if they dont see Baker as a long term answer, any team that Daboll goes to as HC that doesnt have a franchise qb. Someone is going to over pay him. If Osweiler got paid I dont see how a team doesnt take a shot at him this offseason.

5 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Players with the most potential cap savings if cut:

• Diggs: $8.8M
  • Morse: $7.5M
  • Poyer: $6.7M
  • Beasley: $6.1M
  • Daryl Williams: $5.3M
  • Hyde: $4.7M
  • Feliciano: $3.7M

Obviously Diggs, Poyer, and Hyde are not cap casualties. Beasley is 100% massive restructure or cut. I'd lean cut based on being a distraction and McKenzie would be much cheaper to fill a slot role, with Gabe taking the #2 role. I'm less certain about the OL, since I don't know that there's a ton of better FA options for us, but wouldn't mind some cap savings there if we can find cheaper options. Star is such a minimal cap savings based on his contract structure that I don't even think its worth addressing.

10 hours ago, Tk3 said:

Obviously Diggs, Poyer, and Hyde are not cap casualties. Beasley is 100% massive restructure or cut. I'd lean cut based on being a distraction and McKenzie would be much cheaper to fill a slot role, with Gabe taking the #2 role. I'm less certain about the OL, since I don't know that there's a ton of better FA options for us, but wouldn't mind some cap savings there if we can find cheaper options. Star is such a minimal cap savings based on his contract structure that I don't even think its worth addressing.

Definitely keeping Morse. Williams could be upgraded for sure, but he has some versatility. Don't care much for Feliciano. I want the interior upgraded, so upgrading at least one of Williams/Feliciano would be nice.  

11 hours ago, Tk3 said:

Morse is going to be 30 years old he should be a potential extension candidate going in to his last year which can save some cap space. 
Tremaine Edmunds is going on his 5th year, he is another guy who can look to get an extension and his cap could be moved as well clearing some of the 12 mil he will be due on his 5th year option.

Another guy on this list that we may want to either extend or cut is Aj Klein as he is on his last year and bills can clear 5.2 mil. You also have Star who has missed several games this year and all of last year, the move may be small but the guy is a liability as he claims covid being an issue then does not get the vaccine, I am just not a fan of someone who you cannot rely on, that 1.6 mil could be on a harrison phillips 1 year deal to see if he can continue to have a consecutive good season and then draft or bring in another 1T DT that would be an upgrade to star. Smaller moves would be cutting or trading Tyler Matakevich clearing 2.5 mil and Cody Ford clearing 1.5 mil. 

If bills look to upgrade the Guard position I can see them moving on from Williams or Feliciano or possibly both.

15 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Potential coaching changes:

If Daboll leaves

Internal Hires:
Ken Dorsey
Chad Hall

Eternal Hires I like:
Jim Caldwell
Duce Staley
Mike Kafka

If Frazier Leaves

Internal Hire:
Bobby Babich (the son)
John Butler

External Hires I like:

Vic Fangio
Sean Desai
Steve Wilks

I am not a fan of Caldwell of his time after leaving Peyton Manning in Indy, his offense only had 1 top 15 (13 with Detroit 2017) and the rest were at the bottom half. I do not see our offense staying the same or improving with him as the OC. 

If Bienemy leaves Kafka is the one that will step in as OC as he is already the passing coordinator and I can see him not being able to interview as KC could block it.

Ken Dorsey would be my top choice, however I would like to see about Pederson as Mcdermott has a history with him years ago if he doesnt get a HC job. Duce Staley is a wild card just cause he has been an rb and rb coach, like dorsey could he take the next step out of the comfort zone to make calls. 

While its fortunate for us, its unfortunate for Frazier as I do not believe he will get a HC job based on the other candidates, I think he will end up staying as DC for the Bills. If for some reason he does go I definitely want to keep it in house as this is Mcd's defense and staying the course on what was built is the key to the continued success on defense. Just need to tighten up on some players that can be upgraded in the offseason to get better.

On 1/4/2022 at 1:19 PM, Trentwannabe said:

A road grader at OG, a double digit sack guy at DE and a CB. Even if we re-sign Levi, Tre is coming off an injury and likely missed most of camp.

Who can they afford as a pass rusher? Chandler Jones he has had 10 sacks and 13 tfl this year. For some reason I will always throw clowney in the race, I know he is injury prone granted he was fairly healthy only missing 1 game due to injury, but also lost 1 game to covid. I think I like him because of his ability against the run while also being able to get to the qb. 7 sacks and 10 tfl may not scream dominant but I think he would be an upgrade to addison or hughes plus he is 29 years old so you can probably lock him to a 3 year deal while Basham and Greg grow. Jones will likely command a high end 2 year deal and at 32 could be risky but will likely seek JJ Watt type deal. Anyone else out there that would be a FA and wouldnt be seeking top dollar at the position who would be an upgrade?

50 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Who can they afford as a pass rusher? Chandler Jones he has had 10 sacks and 13 tfl this year. For some reason I will always throw clowney in the race, I know he is injury prone granted he was fairly healthy only missing 1 game due to injury, but also lost 1 game to covid. I think I like him because of his ability against the run while also being able to get to the qb. 7 sacks and 10 tfl may not scream dominant but I think he would be an upgrade to addison or hughes plus he is 29 years old so you can probably lock him to a 3 year deal while Basham and Greg grow. Jones will likely command a high end 2 year deal and at 32 could be risky but will likely seek JJ Watt type deal. Anyone else out there that would be a FA and wouldnt be seeking top dollar at the position who would be an upgrade?

I’m not sure who will be out there at DE in free agency or the draft. That would just be my dream off season to put the Bills over the top. 

I expect we add guys at those positions but not necessarily game changers. 

On 1/5/2022 at 7:55 AM, soflbillsfan said:

I am not a fan of Caldwell of his time after leaving Peyton Manning in Indy, his offense only had 1 top 15 (13 with Detroit 2017) and the rest were at the bottom half. I do not see our offense staying the same or improving with him as the OC. 

If Bienemy leaves Kafka is the one that will step in as OC as he is already the passing coordinator and I can see him not being able to interview as KC could block it.

Ken Dorsey would be my top choice, however I would like to see about Pederson as Mcdermott has a history with him years ago if he doesnt get a HC job. Duce Staley is a wild card just cause he has been an rb and rb coach, like dorsey could he take the next step out of the comfort zone to make calls. 

While its fortunate for us, its unfortunate for Frazier as I do not believe he will get a HC job based on the other candidates, I think he will end up staying as DC for the Bills. If for some reason he does go I definitely want to keep it in house as this is Mcd's defense and staying the course on what was built is the key to the continued success on defense. Just need to tighten up on some players that can be upgraded in the offseason to get better.

I don’t even see Bienemy being mentioned anymore. He could get interest still but I think his past and other issues will stop him from being a HC. 

Caldwell is a very smart coach and gets the most out of his QBs. He had Flacco looking good I’m Baltimore and they could run the ball. I honestly hope he’s brought in as a consultant type coach on offense if Dorsey is promoted. Someone he can lean on. 

The Bills will have to fulfil the Rooney rule if Daboll leaves, so between that and the list of coaches who will want to work with Allen, I bet it’s an extensive search.