2022 Bills Offseason Outlook

soflbillsfan

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

Meh. We're a powerhouse offensively when we're on point (this is the biggie if we want homefield next year; no more JAX type of performances out of the O!).

The defense is pretty good, but like many pretty good defenses- they get exposed when they're on the field a lot against an elite offense. We've done it to plenty of good defenses, too. 

I just don't see a quick fix with the cap situation, but Beane is a wizard when it comes to contracts, so perhaps he can  get an impact player for us. I'm expecting more depth moves, though.

I wish we could bring in an elite pass rusher, but those are very hard to come by and rarely ever available via trade. If one hits FA you have to pay out the *** to sign them. We just need to hope Rousseau can take a big step next year. Tre coming back will help a lot. Also, if we can find a way to rid Star's contract, and fill his role with someone who is actually on the field- that'd be nice. Big, run stuffing DTs aren't usually too expensive. 

So, we were a legit contender this year with a similar makeup of the team. I'm really hoping we can shore up the interior of the offensive line. Definitely need a 1b option to share the load with Singeltary. Restructuring Beasley's contract is an option to help us save on cap. I just want to focus heavily on protecting Allen because if he has time he's going to murder teams, and if we get the interior of the line up-to-par then those RPOs will hit harder.  

We're going to be damn good again...

I agree with a lot of what you say. I think Harrison Phillips stepped up and was that run stopping guy, but I do agree we need someone to rotate with him, Jordan Davis is a name that comes to mind.

I think a 1b RB option can probably be found in FA, they liked Etienne last year as he was a legit receiving option out of the backfield. Maybe someone like a Sony Michel, James White, Chase Edmonds could fill that role.

I really liked how our OL came together towards the end of the year, Bates showed he needs to start, which means Felciano or Williams could be on their way out or restructured at the minimum.

I still think we need a fast WR with Sanders probably gone, but I think we can get a similar guy at a similar contract on the market. T.Y Hilton looks like the veteran guy we could get for probably a similar contract (1 year $7 mil or so)

I think we are in a good place, but our pass rush needs help. Like you said though, elite guys are expensive and we are not in a cap situation to pay a DE 15-20 mil a year.. they tried address it with spending a 1st and two 2nds on DE types (Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa). We just need these guys to show up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maxmw22 said:

hink we are in a good place, but our pass rush needs help. Like you said though, elite guys are expensive and we are not in a cap situation to pay a DE 15-20 mil a year.. they tried address it with spending a 1st and two 2nds on DE types (Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa). We just need these guys to show up.

Not sure if it was prompted or not but Beane mention Boogie by name today in his press conference. Said he’s a guy who should have his eyes on a starting role next year. 

I know the Bills have spent a lot of draft capital at the position, but I won’t be opposed to doing it again if the right guy is there. A true difference maker at DE could put this team over the top.

On 1/25/2022 at 10:00 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

It's pretty obvious at this point we're not going to do any significant restructuring on the defensive side.

Which means Allen is going to have to be superhuman again and we're going to have to figure out how to get homefield.

Not necessarily, I think you're overlooking development of Basham and Rousseau. I think it's pretty obvious we add a CB as well

22 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Any inside information you Bills fans can give us on Schoen?

Bills have been more about traits then stats under this regime. 

Josh Allen, Edmunds, Knox, Rousseau are just a few examples of guys with limited or questionable college tape but have all these physical tools that were coveted. 

This regime also likes high character and family men as the source of their roster. McDermott refers to them as the glue guys. Not always the biggest name but someone people listen to and want to be around. Isiah McKenzie and Justin Zimmer were mentioned by Mcd for that.

Schoen played a high part in the Bills draft board and scouting department. I think the Bills have done a great job hitting the middle rounds since he and Beane got here. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 10:00 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

It's pretty obvious at this point we're not going to do any significant restructuring on the defensive side.

Which means Allen is going to have to be superhuman again and we're going to have to figure out how to get homefield.

We’re you expecting guys to be fired a few days after the game? Lol

Staff changes will come one way or another. 

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Daboll wants to steal Dorsey as well. Any chance Dorsey leaves with him?

Definitely a possibility if not likely it looks like. Apparently he is in negotiations already.

by rule the Bills have to interview outside of the organization which will take time. 

If they go internally and Dorsey leaves, I hope it’s Chad Hall 

10 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Definitely a possibility if not likely it looks like. Apparently he is in negotiations already.

by rule the Bills have to interview outside of the organization which will take time. 

If they go internally and Dorsey leaves, I hope it’s Chad Hall 

Hopefully he is just negotiating for leverage purposes and to get a better deal.

If he stays with Buffalo Josh Allen will make him look good and he'd be getting a head coaching gig in the near future. There is a ton of job security here as well.

If he leaves then there is a ton of uncertainty. Lets say Daboll and Schoen cant turn around the Giants/Daniel Jones then Dorsey will be out on the streets. Or even if Dabolls offense isnt successful and he is about to be fired he will need someone to blame thay on and he will need a scapegoat which would likely be Dorsey.

Its just a much smarter career move to stay in Buffalo. And he doesnt have to pack up his family and move.

4 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Hopefully he is just negotiating for leverage purposes and to get a better deal.

If he stays with Buffalo Josh Allen will make him look good and he'd be getting a head coaching gig in the near future. There is a ton of job security here as well.

If he leaves then there is a ton of uncertainty. Lets say Daboll and Schoen cant turn around the Giants/Daniel Jones then Dorsey will be out on the streets. Or even if Dabolls offense isnt successful and he is about to be fired he will need someone to blame thay on and he will need a scapegoat which would likely be Dorsey.

Its just a much smarter career move to stay in Buffalo. And he doesnt have to pack up his family and move.

On the flip side, what if Buffalo offense takes a step back? That will look bad on Dorsey. Or Dorsey could become the new Bienemy who won’t get any credit for the Bills offense because it was Daboll who created it and because of Allen. 

If he goes to the Giants and they do turn it around, he gets the credit or at least shared credit. He gets to prove himself away from Josh Allen who is already cemented as elite.