Coach of the Year?

SmittyBacall

Coach of the Year?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins it?

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Until Henry went down against the Colts.  Then the consensus was that the Titans' season was over.

And then they went and beat the consensus best team in the NFL Rams in LA.

Yeah I agree as a team they stepped up and beat the Rams despite the offense clearly lacking that game. That in general has been the case over the rest of the season different players stepping up in the loss of Henry. Thats the sign of a well-coached team so I have to give credit to Vrabel. 

Edited by stl4life07

2 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Yeah but when they beat the Rams, was it bc the offense or the defense? I think this notion need to stop. Its not like the Titans offense was playing well. They had 194 total yards off offense and was 4-12 on 3rd down. So people can keep saying "the Titans beat the Rams without Henry" and yes he physically wasnt out there but the offense did nothing exactly what was expected. The defense was dominant and the Rams also shot themselves in the foot with 12 accepted penalties giving the Titans a free 112yds and we know the Rams are the least penalized team in the NFL is its uncommon for them to get penalized that much. 

I do agree though that the Titans were able to sustain their success as a team without Henry. When one guy goes down other guys have to step up. The defense which was bad early on got better, the backs they got to replace Henry in Hilliard and Foreman stepped up and has played well lately. AJ Brown when he is healthy has been great. So as a team they have overcome the loss of Henry but if you are just pinpointing that one game right after Henry got hurt, it had more to do with the defense being dominant and the Rams self-destructing with penalties as the reason why the Titans won not that they looked great on offense bc they didnt.  

I didn't say anything about the offense being good in that game.  I'm pointing out they had a quality win on the road against one of the best teams in the NFL after losing their best player.

That's a lot of adversity to overcome.  And they held on and got the No. 1 seed in the AFC.  I don't know what more you can ask from a coach.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I didn't say anything about the offense being good in that game.  I'm pointing out they had a quality win on the road against one of the best teams in the NFL after losing their best player.

That's a lot of adversity to overcome.  And they held on and got the No. 1 seed in the AFC.  I don't know what more you can ask from a coach.

Oh yeah I definitely agree. A sign of a well-coached team is having other guys step up on every unit. Thats why nobody should just focus on one individual player. If he is having a great game then great but if he is not then if the other players around him to help pick up the slack then they win as a team. Thats what Im saying. 

I think the loss of Henry is a bit overstated. In his absence they are down 10 rushing yards a game and 1 point per game. Not exactly ground breaking changes. Now, Tannehill's numbers are down a bit because he's getting less 8 man boxes to throw against, but part of that is also due to the injuries at WR. I'd have no problem with Vrabel winning CoY though, he's a great coach that I would trade Zac Taylor for in a heartbeat, lol.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 11:14 AM, Phinsesq said:

I'm picking Vrabel, the guy has kept his team competitive and has managed the top spot in the playoffs despite multiple injury issues.  

Vrabel isn't the only HC who has kept his team competitive and in the top spot in the playoffs despite multiple injury issues.

Edited by Pugger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Vrabel isn't the only HC who has kept his team competitive and in the top spot in the playoffs despite multiple injury issues.

I'm assuming you are lobbying for Lafleur since there is only one other top seed. If Lafleur accomplished this with Rodgers his best player (and league most valuable player in my opinion) out over half the year then absolutely I would consider him for coach of the year. All teams deal with injuries the Titans are top seed with their best player Henry being out since week 8, as well as AJ Brown, and Julio Jones and others missing multiple games. If I had to vote today, Vrabel would have my vote.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

All teams deal with injuries the Titans are top seed with their best player Henry being out since week 8, as well as AJ Brown, and Julio Jones and others missing multiple games.

I think the point from Pugger is that LaFleur did it without:

All Pro LT
All Pro CB
All Pro Edge
Pro Bowl LG and 4 out of 5 starters on the OL
Those are premium positions as compared to RB/WR. ( Derrick Henry, Julio, AJ are all studs)

Both are worthy coaches and both overcame a series of daunting challenges along the way - but I don't think Vrabel's injury list is any worse than LaFleur's
So using that as the basis of your vote is...interesting. And I'm a Vrabel fan

22 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I think the point from Pugger is that LaFleur did it without:

All Pro LT
All Pro CB
All Pro Edge
Pro Bowl LG and 4 out of 5 starters on the OL
Those are premium positions as compared to RB/WR. ( Derrick Henry, Julio, AJ are all studs)

Both are worthy coaches and both overcame a series of daunting challenges along the way - but I don't think Vrabel's injury list is any worse than LaFleur's
So using that as the basis of your vote is...interesting. And I'm a Vrabel fan

The best QB in the league can cover up a lot of those injuries though. Titans don’t have that luxury. Packers have had the benefit of their two best players together pretty much all season while the Titans haven’t. You can say RB isn’t premium but to the Titans and the way they play, Henry is. AJ is as well. Tannehill just can’t go out there and make guys like Nick Westbrook-Ikene, Chester Rogers, and   whoever else look good. Rodgers could.  LaFleur has done a pretty good job. That 1 game without Rodgers, that offense looked rough though. Both teams have struggled with injuries which is why I’d like to see both in the end in February. Potentially both are 1 seeds despite all the injuries is just incredible. I do wonder where people actually rank Vrabel and LaFleur as coaches in the NFL. Before the season, I seen a number of posters with Vrabel outside the top 10 and coaches like Flores above him. Wonder if that’s changed any.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

The best QB in the league can cover up a lot of those injuries though. Titans don’t have that luxury. Packers have had the benefit of their two best players together pretty much all season while the Titans haven’t. You can say RB isn’t premium but to the Titans and the way they play, Henry is. AJ is as well. Tannehill just can’t go out there and make guys like Nick Westbrook-Ikene, Chester Rogers, and   whoever else look good. Rodgers could.  LaFleur has done a pretty good job. That 1 game without Rodgers, that offense looked rough though. Both teams have struggled with injuries which is why I’d like to see both in the end in February. Potentially both are 1 seeds despite all the injuries is just incredible. I do wonder where people actually rank Vrabel and LaFleur as coaches in the NFL. Before the season, I seen a number of posters with Vrabel outside the top 10 and coaches like Flores above him. Wonder if that’s changed any.

-People really think we went without AJ, Henry, and Julio and that's it. We shattered the NFL record for most players played in a season because of all the injuries, and we did that by what? week 12? 13?

I think vrabel deserves it most, and edges out MLF after today, though its bordering on a coin toss.

Zac Taylor has done an excellent job with the Bengals, but I really don't see how he was apparently the marginal frontrunner with the bookies this week.

I would have Sirianni in third ahead of him, they were less playing modern American football and looked more like the NZ rugby team in their style half the time, but it worked a treat and got great results (e.g. a playoff spot) out of a fairly limited roster who had an absolute dumpster fire 2020 season. 

Edited by Billy86

I'll throw my hat in the ring for Vrabel now that we've seen the whole season play out as well. That roster simply isn't as talented as others to begin with. Plus all the injuries they dealt with. Plus losing Henry (a guy who in his own right had an argument to make for MVP). And continuing to meet challenges. Not just meet them, but end up #1 seed. 

On paper before all the injuries, and also after incurring multiple significant injuries each I simply think the Packers have a stronger overall roster than the Titans. That's why I'll lean easily towards Vrabel over Lafleur. And for any Pack supporters (perhaps rightfully annoyed) that people seem to be leaning Vrabel over Lafleur, answer this; Rodgers is to Lafleur as ________  is to Vrabel?? Who gives Vrabel that easy win occasionally like Rodgers does for the Pack, probably frequently? I mean Rodgers had won an MVP before Lafleur even came to town, am I wrong? 

I still think though with the history of the award that it will go to either Lafleur or Belichick. Call it a hunch. BB might not have ended with the 1 seed. But he still has two things going for him the other guys don't. One, his name. Carries weight on its own. And two, how bad his team was the year previous. The turnaround factor might push him to the forefront. With a rookie QB no less. 

On 1/7/2022 at 6:16 PM, ttitansfan4life said:

LaFleur has done a pretty good job.

Winning more football games in his first 3 seasons than any other coach in the 100 year history of the league=  "pretty good job"
Losing to the 4 win Jets AND the 4 win Texans = Coach of the Year

Haha !

Both are worthy candidates

19 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

Rodgers had won an MVP before Lafleur even came to town

Rodgers was 24-23-1 in the 3 seasons prior to MLFs arrival and AR's play had dropped off enough for front office to expend a 1st round pick on a kid to groom
Rodgers previous MVP was in 2014, 5 years before LaFleur arrived

But then MLF + Rodgers got together and their collaboration won more than any other start of a QB/Coach combo in the history of the league.
You'll find any number of NFL coaches who will tell you winning 13 followed by 13 is much harder than going from 9 to 13.
Sustaining success is very dependent on having a talented HC.

Vrabel is an awesome coach and deserving of the honor - not much to separate the candidates.
If you go back to 1960 -1996 -> they actually handed out Coach of the Year awards for the AFC and the NFC separately. (2) winners of the honor

https://eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com/history/awards/coach.html

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Winning more football games in his first 3 seasons than any other coach in the 100 year history of the league=  "pretty good job"
Losing to the 4 win Jets AND the 4 win Texans = Coach of the Year

Haha !

Both are worthy candidates

Rodgers was 24-23-1 in the 3 seasons prior to MLFs arrival and AR's play had dropped off enough for front office to expend a 1st round pick on a kid to groom
Rodgers previous MVP was in 2014, 5 years before LaFleur arrived

But then MLF + Rodgers got together and their collaboration won more than any other start of a QB/Coach combo in the history of the league.
You'll find any number of NFL coaches who will tell you winning 13 followed by 13 is much harder than going from 9 to 13.
Sustaining success is very dependent on having a talented HC.

Vrabel is an awesome coach and deserving of the honor - not much to separate the candidates.
If you go back to 1960 -1996 -> they actually handed out Coach of the Year awards for the AFC and the NFC separately. (2) winners of the honor

https://eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com/history/awards/coach.html

Every team has bad losses. Yeah those two are bad for the Titans for sure. The packers just lost to the lions, and couldn’t do a thing on offense in Rogers only missed game. It must be nice having a year in and year out MVP candidate at the most important position in football. 

The Titans had bad losses but the teams they beat are what’s impressive (especially with the roster they had). They played a league record 91 players throughout the course of the year and still ended up 12-5, with Tannehill as the QB. Imagine the Packers with Tanny at QB. Haha!

Edited by AllThingsTN